Sunday, April 19, 2009

What is a Moon Pie?



Growing up in the South, I am well-acquainted with one of mankind's greatest gourmet treasures...


Moon Pies. Delicious graham-cracker cookies with marshmallow center, covered in your choice of chocolate or banana coating. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. When we lived in Spartanburg, SC, there was a Moon-Pie bakery in town...so that occassionally, you could go buy a moon-pie that was still warm...oh. my.goodness. Melt-in-your-mouth-heaven.





We get them out here in Colorado--but [shaking head] they are not even close to being as perfectly delicious, so I can't bring myself to buy them. When I see them sitting on a treat shelf, it feels like they're taunting me, teasing me with their fakey goodness. When I forget how dissappointed I've been in the past, I buy another one and THEN! I remember why I don't buy them.





Also in the South...Nehi drinks. Anyone know those? Grape was my favorite. And White Castle little burgers. I had some tiny burgers at Ruby Tuesday recently, and they reminded me of WC burgers. How about hush-puppies? Not the shoes, the little cornmeal biscuit things? Anyone?


I tasted my first Krispy Kreme doughnut in Spartanburg in 1989. Thought I'd died and gone to sugar heaven. And just one was enough to fill you up. I heard Krispy Kreme had to close a lot of their franchises because of different diets and then the economy. When we left Colorado Springs 3 years ago, there was one KK here in town...when it opened there were lines around the block --I AM NOT KIDDING!-- just to get in...and when we came back last year it was closed. My fellow citizens of Colorado Springs let me down. How could they let KK go into extinction?



Can you tell dinner was several hours ago and I'm feeling peckish?


So, what are some foods that you crave regionally either now or from the past?

9 comments:

  1. soda fountain Egg Creams! (no eggs . . .yuck!)

    simple:
    a little milk, drop of vanilla, and fountain Seltzer poured to slide down a spoon (less foam).

    deeeeeeelicious! :-)

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hackney burgers in Chicago...on soft, dark pumpernickel bread...with incredibly good cheddar cheese and onion. Also their polish sausage dogs. Oh, how I wish I had one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post !
    I was born in Boston, raised in California and didn't taste all the delights in food and drink that the South had to offer until 1990.I still am a Yankee at heart, but I say "hey" and "ya'all" and am very content to call the south home and to savor everything about it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I can't even pinpoint just one thing! I love food, all foods (except organ meat and seafood) especially if it is coated with a light crispy glaze of sugar. I too am a Krispy Kreme fan. We live in Utah and we have been known to drive to Las Vegas for one. Now we have one just 5 miles from the house and we never go there. Maybe it was the sacrifice of time and money that made it so tasty.....nah, it was just the goodness of the sweet air that you experienced when you bit into it. I know if I were hungrier right now I would be able to come up with a myriad of delicacies. I will have to get back to you on that. Oh and by the way, thanks for the glorious weather here in the Springs, it is wonderful.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. The childhood foods I miss the most--being here in AZ--are cherries and peaches fresh off the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang-I wish I had read this post before I went to the South! I missed out on some treats. (we did eat some greasy food in Nashville though)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS...KK is back here!! I would like to eat my mom's homemade white bread. I know I can make it but I feel guilty eating white flour-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moon pies sound yummy!

    There are a couple of local restaurants that I absolutely love. There were a couple of places in Logan, Utah, where I went to college, too, that I miss. And I loved eating fresh peas picked from the garden...Hm, maybe I should plant a garden this year, and just put peas in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for their fun comments...I love knowing that although the US is sorta "homogenized"...there are still things regionally that make a difference!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!