Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dear MTV: My Super Sweet Sixteen : An Open Letter


Dear Rich Parents of the newly-turned-sixteen-year-olds
featured on "MTV's" My Super Sweet Sixteen",

[Ahem]
One, you suck.

I have a soon-to-be-sixteen-year-old daughter
whom we shall call "Daisie".
Daisie loves to watch that show--
you know the one where you bazillionaire parents
fork over obscene amounts of money
to your teenagers
to mark their big "Sweet Sixteen" birthday.

I've even sat in on a couple of episodes
just to see what the deal is,
and frankly,
it was breath-taking.
As in,
I couldn't breathe as the dollar signs
add up on screen
along with the limosines,
sparkly venues,
humoungous Cinderella dresses
blinding blingy tiaras
and throngs of high schoolers
all come together
for one night of celebration
for a young person
who is approaching adulthood.

Daisie is turning sixteen
in April
and this past week,
as I was eating a ham and cheese samich,
she handed me
a 6-page party plan
of her own "Super Sweet Sixteen."
I am not kidding.
Six pages.

The theme: Masquerade Ball.
Dress: Formal.
The venue: TBD, preferably at a smashing local hotel.
With a Live Band or a Professional DJ.
Fifty Guests.
Now, just when I was about to cough up my samich,
I got to the bottom of one sheet
where she wrote out
Food: Pizza and Pop.

At least she was budget-conscious
when it came to the food.

Her older sister, Nana was at the table too,
and said, as only an older sister can say,
without causing permanent damage:
"Are you nuts?! One, we don't have that kind of money!
Did you not get the memo that Dad's car just died?
Do you have any idea how much money a party like that would cost?
For ONE night?!
And, no teenager is going to go all out for a tux or a formal for a birthday party
around here.  Do you even have fifty friends?
Have you ever been to a birthday party where teenagers danced?
Seriously Day."--and other sisterly mutterings.


Trying not to be the Crusher of Dreams,
I hushed Nana off her high horse,
and said,
"Let's compromise, Daisie. Tell me what you really wanna do for your birthday,
that doesn't involve thousands of dollars and we'll see what we can come up with together."

Scowling.
Eyes rolling.
Grimace, Grimace.

Do you see what you've created,
you rich, indulgent parents??

How could my teenager
ever be excited about a homemade cake with sprinkles on it,
and a few of her best buddies to share it with--
after seeing your children paraded around on stages,
carried in on platforms,
dropped out of airplanes,
riding up in carraiges or limos
to crowds of more than 500 of their peers,
some of whom exclaim on screen:
"I don't really know her (the birthday girl), but this is the party of the century!"

The truth is, rich parents,
I wonder what kind of people you are,
that you feel all that indulgence is healthy for a child
in the first place?
I get that 16's a big milestone...
that's when the real trouble begins around here--
car keys and dating in one fell swoop is insanity--
and should be celebrated while we can, right?

And one more thing:
how do you top a Super Sweet Sixteen the next year?
Inquiring minds wanna know.
Because once you've been to the top of the mountain,
where's the next thrill to be found?
Isn't it interesting that MTV doesn't have a show called
"My Super Sweet Seventeen"?

What's the goal here for your kids anyway?
What're you teaching them?
Inquiring minds wanna know.
Perhaps MTV could produce a show called
"The Fall-Out of a Super Sweet 16"
and have it focus on what proceeds the days and weeks
following the big bash.
I'd be willing to bet,
it ain't "Super Sweet" at all.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Momza

17 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I wish I had some advice or good ideas, other than throw all stupid tv producers into dungeons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this show and remember being utterly and completely floored at the unnecessary extravagance. Birthday parties at my house are super small scale, and my kids aren't old enough to know any different, so I'm not any help. Good luck though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen that show and it is utterly ridiculous. I'm afraid to see how those kids turn out in life - scary is the word that comes to mind!

    For my oldest daughter we threw her a surprise Sweet 16. Since this is the first party with boys and girls in attendance I rented one of those fun party inflatables - The Bungee Run. The girls and the guys had soooo much fun with that. The rest was low key - a little decor, we had pizza, cake, snacks and music (that they did not dance too but listened to), they did have a cake fight- outside. That is all they needed - it was a great time. Later some told me it was the best party they had ever been to!

    For my other daughter we took a group of her girl/guy friends indoor paintballing and then pizza/cake at the house. Again, a hit!

    Good luck I know her party will be great if everyone has a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. But I can't turn away! It's a teenager train wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest girl is turning 9 soon... I think I will add this to the list of "shows you must under no circumstances ever watch" - and be grateful that my child turning 16 this year is a boy.

    of course, he wants a professional keyboard that has a price tag worthy of ham sandwich regurgitation as well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my daughter turned 16 we had a dual party with my close friend's son whom she grew up with. Happened to fall on Cinco de Mayo so it was burrito bar, music and we had it at a lakeside lodge that my friend belonged to--so there was basketball and a beach (too cold to swim though). Wasn't over the top, wasn't expensive, was fun. I hate how the teens on that show are so self-centered. They get a brand new car and then whine because it wasn't the right color or they wanted better. They're headed for disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I don't have cable and now I'm glad I don't.
    I also have children that are older than 16...in fact the baby is going to turn unteen this year.
    After reading your post I'm glad.

    I can only imagine what brats those kids are.
    Well, they probably caught it from their parents.

    Maybe going to a beauty college with a couple of her closest friends, getting pedicures, manicures, hair done and maybe teaching them how to do a little makeup.
    Does that sound fun Daisy dear?

    A letter to Daisy,

    Dear Daisy,
    You have the best mom and dad ever.
    I think they would give you the moon and everything in between
    ... if they felt like it would be good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even worse- I saw an ad for some show on TLC or something where parents are doing those over the top parties for little kids! Like... 5 years old and younger! CRAZY!

    Don't top it, that's what I say. Some years are big and some aren't.

    My fave birthdays as a teen were when my parents would let me take a few (like maybe 3 total) friends out to dinner at a "fancy, grown up" restaurant and my parents wouldn't sit with us. And they sat where I couldn't see them and they couldn't easily see me. They'd set it up so they got our check. They got a nice little dinner date with each other and I got to celebrate with my friends at some nice restaurants in town!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We also don't have cable so I have never seen the show--and neither have any of my daughters--thankfully!! But it sounds like you have gotten some good advice in the comments.

    We too have done the paint ball thing. That was fun. But we have also just had games at the house and everyone had a great time there as well. Personally I like the parties where everyone stays together and does activities in a group. If she doesn't want a party like that--then it is really important to have enough things to do to keep everyone entertained. A bouncy thing is great if it fits into the budget. If not there really are a lot of fun games a group can play. Also if you have a wii, Just Dance is very popular right now--but once again that is better for a small group.

    Oh, and as you know at 16--it has to be a boy/girl party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thinking is they spend the kid's 17th birthday checking her into rehab. My girls are at the age where they're glued to "say yes to the dress," a show where women go to bridal boutiques and plunk down $10k for a wedding dress. The whole thing is just obscene. Try this: Road trip to Vegas w/ 1 or 2 special friends. See "Blue Man Group." Eat at a nice buffet. Shop at one of several kinda cool malls. Visit the M&M store. Watch the Bellagio fountain show. Drive up to the Temple at night for contrast. Have a conversation up there, looking down at the Strip, about lights and 'Light.' It would be a trip of a lifetime, for around $400, less if the girls bring their own spending money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *clap,clap,clap,clap*
    Fantastic, Momza. I totally agree on the outlandish and ridiculous expenditures of moola these people put out for one night. Sick.

    On another note, I LOVED my sixteenth birthday party: we had it at one of those little clubhouse thingies at my sister's condo (you know, the kind of place that will fit a couple dozen people and is free to use for free. Indeed, free being key word). We had doritos, m&m's, soda, music (someone kept playing the song "closing time" by supersonic. The song had just come out and will forever remind me of my 16th birthday party) and just hanging out.

    My birthday is in May, so the weather in arizona is usually quite warm by then. So guess what we did? We went swimming at the condo pool. In our clothes. Oh heck yes.

    It's a cheap and silly way to be outlandish and ridiculous. And I felt like a million bucks because my cool friends had a great time.

    Whoa, long post! Anyway, I have to finish by saying I read your post about stretch marks. Fantastic and very deep. You're a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That show makes me sit with my mouth open and wonder why parents want to pay to turn their children into brats...
    As for your dh ...this might be lame, but I say give her a budget and let her plan her own party. Then she will get to do what she wants, but realize that things add up quickly. She will have tons of fun coming up with things that entertain but don't cost big bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd tell her she has X amount of dollars, and she can plan it out however she wants. Then she can choose to do

    ReplyDelete
  14. something more on the lavish side with her bestie or something more traditional with all her friends

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those shows are crazy. I don't know if I've seen the 16 one, but I just watched one on lavish parties (5 figures, sometimes 6) for 6-year-olds. It makes me sad. Also, reminds me I'm not the worst parent in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of giving her a budget and letting her figure it out! The fancy restaurant also sounds really fun. A few weeks ago, I was at my favorite bakery/cafe and a couple of girls had apparently been dropped off to have breakfast by themselves, then the mom picked them up afterward. I would've loved doing that as a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was just posting about my daughters Sweet 16 coming up in May. I was looking for a picture to symbolize it, came to your page and all I can say is AMEN! I don't understand those crazy parents either! Don't understand my alien teenagers either, but that's another story...

    I used your photo and credited you for it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!