Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Plot Twist: How Far out of My Comfort Zone Are We Moving?

It started a few months ago...
this feeling that we'd be moving to the Great North West...
I told Mr. W that I just "had a feeling" we'd be moving there.

I looked at my favorite real estate site Realtor.com
to check out places like Portland, Corvalis, & Seattle.
And then I just tucked those thoughts and feelings
right on the back burner
because it just didn't make sense, you know,
because we love Colorado and had absolutely no contacts in the NW.

Then last week,
a recruiter contacted Mr. W about a job in the Great North West.
Mr. W casually mentioned it to me last Friday--
it perked my ears up a little. Just a little.
Because he is frequently contacted by recruiters but nothing comes of it--
nothing to tempt us to leave Colorado.
But because it was the Great North West,
it got my attention for a few minutes then you know,
LIFE grabbed my attention and I forgot about the call.

On Monday, Mr. W gave a phone interview and it went so well,
the recruiter said he's going to recommend Mr W for the job.
It's a layered hiring process and while it's still early,
and we still have 2 more stages to go through--
I recalled that "feeling" I had months ago
and had a mixed reaction:
First,
"Wow. Is this really happening?! That'd be so cool. Let's go!"
Second,
"Wow. Is this really happening?! I'm not ready!"

I was so distracted yesterday, it was impossible to focus on anything else
but researching Seattle and the areas near the Puget Sound.
Can I just say I've always had a fascination with the Puget Sound?
I've never been there, but man, it is so interesting to me.
The mountains, the ocean and lakes, the green landscapes--
all of it in one place is very enchanting to me.
Or at least the "idea" of it.

Checking out school districts first,
then mapquesting how far we could live comfortably from the
Seattle temple--
because Mr. W will want to work there too,
checking out the "What To Do" stuff,
and the home prices.
Well, my heart stopped when I found a sweet house that backed to a lake.
I mean, who wouldn't wanna live there?

In talking to our Saudi kids,
Dani said they'd been looking at that area to live and work in
once their assignment is over.
So that'd mean we'd live by grandkids eventually!
In my loft study,  I was completely sold on the idea!
Heck yeah. We'll go!

Then I drove around our little area of the world here in Colorado.
How can I possibly leave Pikes Peak?
Everyone knows I am co-dependent upon my beloved Pikes Peak.
I look over there at those snow-capped peaks a zillion times a day.
Where would I look for direction and comfort if I lived faraway in Washington?
I know of the Cascades, but man, they look so so far away from town,
and here, we sit at the foot of the Rockies.

And yes, I AM all about the Adventure of LIFE--
travelling, exploring, tasting it all--
but ACK!  Am I ready for this?

We told the Yahoos...
the older ones are totally cool with it.
We mapped out the distance between Boise & the Seattle area we're looking at,
and mapped out the distance between Rexburg and said area too.
But we hit a wall with the Caboose.
No way. No how.
She says, "I'm not leaving. I'll stay here with my friends. I'll work with Susan (my painting partner),
and be self-sufficient."
She's nearly 14 (this Friday) and is finally happy with friends, etc.
I told her we'll cross that bridge should we come to it.
As in, there is no freaking way we'd leave her behind--
but the dilemma is not even at issue yet
seeing that there has been no job offer.

All of this is both exciting and unsettling.
I wonder to myself if the "feelings" I had months ago
are rooted in Inspiration--
like when I knew we would be moving to Idaho in 2004.
Or just Not.
As we go through this process,
it feels like we are unfolding many-layers of tissue paper,
waiting to see what will become of it.

Our prayers are simple:
If this is our new direction, help us feel certain about it.
We only want what's best for the family.

And that's it.
Talk about Comfort Zones!
I totally asked for this, didn't I?!




5 comments:

  1. Wow! That would be a leap of faith! Uprooting is so hard.........as if I would know. I've live in this house for 29 years.

    I'm excited to see how this works out for your family. Exciting and scary all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE PNW???? Suhweeeet! If you love Pikes Peak then you are in luck. Have you seen Mt. Rainier from the Seattle area? The hiking trails, lakes, rivers, the Sound, ferries to beautiful islands, fishing, camping, snow skiing and all things outdoors? You're gonna love it...well except for the rain maybe. But then again it is because of the rain that things are so beautiful. I hope things work out for you guys, I am sure the Lord knows where you need to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking on the internet for all kinds of info on Washington State. I've been to Spokane once in 2003-ish...but that's it; we're onto Phase 4 of the interview process today.

      Delete
    2. Wow, so this could really be happening. Best of luck to you and your family. Maybe I will get the chance to finally meet you in person, oh the possibilities...

      Delete
    3. Onto Stage 5, the last one on Friday.

      Delete

Have a Thought? Share It!