Thursday, August 20, 2015

College: It's Never Too Late!



Risks?
I'm taking them.
Have I lost my ever-lovin' mind?
Possibly. Quite possibly.
Consider my arms as wide open
and my mind as welcoming this new chapter
in My Story
as Open as
as an all night market
with lights blazing at 2am!

What got me here?
At 53 years old, I have decided to try and prime the pump
in my brain and kickstart it into a new world
that I've only entered as a sidekick,
a cheerleader, a note-writer, and aloud-reader
to other students.
Putting a first husband--
a dyslexic, even
through Chiropractic college,
across the country!
Staying up late to proof his assignments
and read Grey's Anatomy outloud to him,
writing thesis and whoknowswhat papers for his degree!
And then filling out applications
for the kids
college, scholarships, FAFSA;
loading up the car and driving kids over and across
mountains tops to college towns --
it's my turn.
Mine.Mine. Mine.


I finally got the hint the Universe was sending to me
when, time and time again,
I found myself
wanting
what others around me already had--
that little paper with credentials.
Now, I do have a variety of certifications:
Bank Teller
Dental Assistant
Chiropractic Assistant
Home Stager
Doula
to name the top ones.
But not a four year degree, 
so it's just natural to want that too, right?

I've got these tiny little talents
and big dreams
that I've explored to ad exhaustum
(I don't think that's a word, but it sounds "college-y" latin and all
so I'm using it)
and this is what I've discovered:
I want more.
I want to learn more
about design
from people who eat, live and breathe design
and --
--and this is the best part--
they're going to share what they know with me.

Last Saturday, I was invited to join a new retail business venture
with some talented, lovely women--
it'll be a smashing endeavor, I know it.
BUT...
at the end of the first meeting
one of the co-founders said,
quite emotionally:
"I've wanted to do this since I was seventeen years old. This is my dream!"

That lingered with me for the whole afternoon.

She was inviting others to participate in her dream.
It's not my dream.
I was invited to join because of my own little talents--
people I do not know,
know my name and my talent.

It is humbling, truly.
I just kinda keep my head down;
following my passions and accepting opportunities to express them.
And somehow, 
people have noticed.
Humbling.
Flattering.
Inspiring.

I came home that day and said to my dear Mr. Wonderful,
"Sign me up for college."

We got the paperwork done,
I visited the school yesterday,
only to find out the Interior Design program is filled to capacity--
but the guidance counselor visited with me
and after hearing my resume,
she gave me the Department Chair's direct number and email
and said, "Call her. She'll make room for you."

Me?
Yeah?

Okay. So I did. I emailed and attached some pictures of projects I've done--
Staging, Painting Furniture, Kitchens, Florals, Calligraphy, Re-Designs.
Was I nervous?
uh. yeah.

Then I called the number
and boom! I'm IN!

I had to take placement tests--
hey, I haven't been to school in 36 years!
On the READING part, I scored a 96.
Sentence Composition a 106.
And Math..haha...33.
Algebra may well as be Arabic in my brain.

Anyway, I'm IN.
At 53 years old,
I am still a lifelong learner.

My family is SO stinking happy for me!
My oldest kids are proud of me
and that makes me really happy too.

SO this Fall, 8 of the 9 of us are in college!

What a life.
What. A. Life.

Seriously.






8 comments:

  1. Haven't seen you post in a long time. I'm so happy for you! Going back for my master's was one of the best decisions ever. You will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Jen. I have enjoyed hearing about your dedicated journey back to college.

      Delete
  2. This is SO exciting! I loved going back to school for my master's (which I never did finish because life got in the way). But oh, what fun I had while it lasted. Gave me a whole new lease on life.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you're so sweet (as always)--thanks for the cheer!

      Delete
  3. I've just been-there-done-that and what a great experience! At first I would look for the oldest person in each of my classes and feel relieved when I saw someone who looked older, and was surprised at how many people my age were doing the same thing! Then I started just embracing the experience and I made so many friends of all ages, shapes, colors and creeds! What a blessing! A lot of times I ended up being a second mama or the mom of the group, but a lot of the times someone just barely 20 was my peer and I was learning from and sharing with them. Awesome! It's definitely harder when you're older because you have a lot more responsibilities than just your classes, but you'll get there! Time is going to go by anyway, so you might as well be working towards something! And this quote was my mantra, "You're never too old to be who you might have been." by George Eliot (who was woman author Mary Ann Evans, but wrote with a man's name to be taken seriously!) Anyway SO excited for you! You'll love it (sometimes you'll hate it) but mostly you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you were in school Leslie! You always said you were enjoying it. I am the oldest in my classes --including the teachers! But everyone has been kind and supportive. I am SO enjoying this season!

      Delete
  4. You're amazing cuz! Simply Amazing!! And You inspire Me! Follow Your dreams! Good advice for all of us....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get this one life...I'm trying to make the most of it! love you!

      Delete

Have a Thought? Share It!