Monday, April 23, 2012

Streakin'

Northglenn HS. Senior Year. 1978. Northglenn, CO.

I was in the Drama Class and we'd made a HUGE float out of chicken-wire and kleenex with the Comedy/Tragedy faces, and we all had to dress up too. I borrowed a big ol Southern Plantation antebellum dress, complete with a metal hoop, from my Mississippi-born friend Melanie.
We changed into our costumes before the parade of course, at the school in a restroom. I left my clothing there, thinking, stupidly, that noone would want my clothes. I did not wear designer-anything, most were bought on clearance, and so I left them there in the stall.
The Homecoming Parade was way fun. But the events following are what's really left in my memory roladex file.
After the parade, our flamboyant Drama teacher, Mr. Shedd (bless his heart), had the bright idea to take the float to a ditch out in the country and set it afire. Kind of a "homecoming bonfire" theme. Well, he neglected to take note that the ditch was full of old car tires.
Yep, our Kleenex-covered float exploded in flames and was out in about a minute flat...but the tires--no such luck. They burned and burned and burned...and the sound of fire engines came closer and closer and closer. Mr. Shedd started "coaching" us kids into his own "script" about who did what, and whose idea the whole thing was...he was trying to get one kid to take the fall for him--since the kid was not a legal age yet--get it?? Yeah. Idiot.
I don't know what happened, because once we were individually questioned on site and released, I got into Melanie's car and went to the school.

So Melanie's clothing was in a different part of the school than mine were--she actually changed in the Drama changing room. She was obviously smarter than me. So she walked with me to the restroom, located in Hall C. And then she left to go wait in the car for me. But before she left, I peeled off the over-sized dress and handed it to her thru the door.
"Sure, sure", I said, "go ahead I'll hurry and be right there." Nope. Not that easy. As I turned around in the stall, I realized someone had stolen my clothing. Not kidding.
My yells to Melanie were futile. Where were cell phones then???
We'd encountered noone in the hallways on our way in...I was alone, as far as I knew.
I opened the door, peeked down the Hall. Noone. Hmm. My brain was sorta freaking out on me. What should I do???
My locker was in Hall F...3 halls down. I had a coat in my locker.
In my bra and panties, I raced down to my locker, and sheer adrenaline opened my locker combo. I was half-panicked--laughing to myself at how funny this whole thing was, and scared to death that someone would come around the corner any second. Luck was on my side that day. There would be no witnesses to my "I-Love-Lucy" shenanagins that day.
You might think that was my most embarrassing moment, but sadly it was not since there were no witnesses.  
What about you?  Wanna share your most embarrassing High School moment? C'mon, you knew you'd laugh about it one day...

1 comment:

Have a Thought? Share It!