Saturday, November 20, 2010

It's Cranberry Season--"The Unofficial Official Fruit of the Holidays"

Do you love cranberries,
like I love cranberries?
Fresh are best,
but I have some canned-cranberry sauce
lovers in my house too,
so we have both!

Here are some of my favorite things to do with 'em:



Cranberry Salsa
1 bag of fresh raw cranberries—washed
1 granny smith apple –cored and chunked
½ red pepper
½ red onion
¾ c apple juice
1/3 c sugar
3 T cilantro
3 T fresh jalapeno pepper
1 T grated lime zest
1 T lime juice


Put all ingredients into food processor. Chop just until chunky. Enjoy with tortilla chips or topping for baked chicken/salmon, brie cheese or sandwich spread.
We love this recipe!  I usually make enough for two batches.


******************************


Do you love the Ocean Spray Cranberry Commercials?
I totally do! Those guys wading in the cranberry ponds always make me laugh.
If you want more ideas using cranberries in your holiday recipes,
here is a link to Ocean Spray Cranberry Recipes.


I'm thinking I'd like to try the Grilled Chicken with craisins sauce....mmm.


*****************************


Other ideas for using Cranberries
Look how simple that is!  I've made these before and they look great and last a long long time! Use distilled water if you're using good glassware.


Cranberry Votive Holder: remember to cut the quick when the flame gets too high, and never leave the candles unattended or low where little fingers can get to them.




With a foam sphere and a hot glue gun...




Or just use some clear glass containers...I bet mason jars would look great too, add some white carnations or white roses (I've done that!), pluck some greenery outta the back yard, and tuck it in too. Voila! You've got a homemade centerpiece for your Holiday table!


Cranberries in a Glass of Water can last up to a week or more.

9 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy, but cranberries and apples with peppers?? I will take your word for it and give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It is so good! I can't wait for Christmas... it is rumored that you are going to make it again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am ! I love it! I'm gonna make a double batch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Pure yumminess! I'm trying this one out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love red so these decorations are beautiful to me. I've never tried cranberry salsa. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! I have the high council dinner party at my house in a week and now I just have to choose between all your pictures which one to do for the centerpieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cranberry salsa and Oceanspray commercials. My favorite is the one where the young one accidentally pours sugar on the cranberries right after he tells about how there's no added sugar. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cranberries are gorgeous. And I love the homemade kind of cranberry sauce best. With oranges.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Momza, just so you know, I made this and it is amazing on leftover turkey sandwiches with cheese and honey mustard.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!