Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The 4 Gifts of Christmas




The Gifts of Christmas:



Since it's getting close to Christmas-shopping time, I thought I would share this.
After years of wandering down aisles at Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us, I discovered a better way to celebrate Christmas with my family. It works great for us, changing the way we give and receive gifts.

Each person receives FOUR gifts...

*Gold: Something Special, something asked for or truly needed. “worth gold” in sentiment. (wrap it in gold paper/bag!)
*Frankincense: Something Spiritual/Inspiring for the individual.
*Myrhh: Something to compliment the individual’s talents or hobby.
*Santa Claus: Something whimsical, fun, unexpected. (wrap it in cartoon paper/bag ie: santa, snowman; make it FUN!)



This tradition means gift-giving has become meaningful and more personal, which is what I was going for all along--and it can be incorporated into traditions you may already have.

With the economy being as it is currently, this might help keep your Christmas simple but amazing.
Now the best testimonial as to whether my kids like a tradition or not, is whether they carry it on in their own family. My oldest kids have adopted it too. So there you have it.


Now, I better get busy and start making my list!

Do you have traditions you wanna share?

8 comments:

  1. I love that idea. Now I just have to get my kids to buy into it. Although I think I can convince them. My best gift this year though is all my kids will be under my roof. There will be 10 of us. I am so excited. Last year I wasn't even home for Christmas as I was in Colorado for the birth of our grandbaby. I can't wait to have everyone home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have adopted your family's tradition of gift giving. It is fun having this tradition. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really want to think about christmas yet, but I do like this idea. My favorite tradition is strawberry waffles on christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea! I'm trying to make meaningful gifts this year-just finished a "heritage book" for my kids and I make an ABC book for my grandkids with pictures from the year. They love it. I do it digitally so it's really easy and fast. I always give my married kids food storage too. They really look forward to it. I also make the stockings really fun-with unusual and interesting things. Some of our most treasured traditions revolve around food! We ALWAYS eat fajitas on Christmas Eve. I overheard my daughter say to her husband, "I don't care if we are late for Christmas morning but we CAN'T miss Christmas Eve!" I really love your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food is always part of a great tradition I think! We have cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate Christmas morning. Christmas Eve is tri-tip and crab legs. The kids love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year we had all our children home for Christmas ( except the newlyweds, who were on their honeymoon ) I was amazed how many of the traditions our kids insisted on us doing and also that they are carrying on all of them in their own families, along with their spouses Christmas traditions. I am not ready at all for Christmas this year...it sorta crept up on us !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard this one before, but I like it. Our kids get 3 presents from Santa, just like Jesus got 3 gifts from the wisemen. Then one gift from Mom & Dad (usually clothes or something equally practical).

    I've also heard "something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this. As we are at the begining of our little family life, we are searching for the right traditions regarding gifts at christmas. We feel strongly that a lot of gift giving/shopping/worrying/money spending takes away from the precious holiday and what it can mean to our family personaly.
    Thanks for sharing this. It may work its way into our home too!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!