Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Doula Things



I spent the day at the Midwifery clinic, observing and training with my former midwife, Dottie.

I loved every stinkin' second of being there!--the hours passed by like minutes!

She had 5 different clients come in...all different kinds of women--some are having their first baby and others their second or 3rd or fourth...
ALL of them were beautiful!

What is it about a pregnant woman in the room that draws our attention? Or is it just me??

I love the "glow" they have...knowing that there is a little person within them...what a brilliant shadow is cast when they enter a room!
We listened to heart tones, we looked inward through sonograms--we even got to tell 2 families what the sex of their babies are! How cool is that??!! I even guessed right both times! One will be a boy, "Naphtahli" and the other is a girl, "Edria" (her father is Salvadoran)...beautiful names, hunh?
I loved my home births. Unless you've experienced one, it is hard to describe exactly. Perfect.
Peaceful. Natural. Ideal.
As a Doula, Iv'e attended both hospital and home births...both result in a miracle and I must say I am grateful to be wherever there is a miracle...wow--babies are such a nice way to start a person!
What did you love/hate/tolerate when you were pregnant?

2 comments:

  1. I am trully being honest....I loved everything about being pregnant. Serious.
    I loved how people smiled at me. Something about waddling around, made complete strangers from all walks of life soften their hearts toward me. They knew nothing about me, except I was sacrificing something of myself (physically and emotionally) to another human being. When I see pregnant women, and when I was pregnant, I'm more thankful to my mother for giving me a chance.
    I also loved the look on people's faces when I asked if there was a restroom available (you know at stores). People practically fell over themselves letting me use a restroom. But NOT pregnant, they don't have bathrooms available to the public :)
    I LOVED being pregnant!

    I TOLERATED comments about how huge I was getting and how far over due I was. I didn't actually hate any of those things, I just couldn't stand comments about them. Irrational I know!

    Oh, and do you talk to your mother's-to-be about interviewing pediatricians before the birth of the baby? I've been talking to people, and many don't even know they can do this. It is a great idea to find a good fit, so if in the OFF chance the baby gets sick, you know you have someone you trust, and who knows you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara: Thx for commenting. I loved being pg too...I really did feel the sacredness of it around me, and relished it.
    I do talk to the Moms about the Ped before giving birth and encourage them to "interveiw" them, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!