Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: Affection for Others




I appreciate "Chocolate on the Cranium's" prompt today,



"Affection for Others".


However, I am going to take a different spin on it, and share how I feel affection from others. You've probably heard of the Love Languages book series, right? I have found it to be very relevant and helpful in my life, and here's why:





I love my kids. And when they show their love for me, that is when I feel successful as a parent.



My love language is Service.


Last weekend, Daisie was having a moment where she wanted alot of attention. She's 13, and those "moments" have been more often lately. So when I can, I sit down and give her my full-on attention. She started out accusing me of not doing enough for her. I listened quietly, letting her get it all out. Mainly, she was upset that all of her weekend plans had fallen through. She wasn't mad at me, she was dissappointed that her friends are every bit 13 years old as she is--un-organized, un-wealthy, un-independent from their parents. But she was venting, so I listened. When she finally took a breath, her 18 yo sister, who'd been listening too, spoke up:


"SO, Daise--when was the last time you did anything for Mom?"


"Huh?" replied Daisie, "well, I cleaned my room last week, AND I did the dishes!"


Nana: "That doesn't count. That's not for Mom. We all do that stuff. What have you done for Mom that's just for her, that she didn't ask you to do?"


Daisie, with a confused look:" I dunno. She nevers asks...but I always say 'thanks'."


Nana: "Yeah. She's not going to ask. And if you know Mom at all, actions speak louder than words. 'Thanks' don't mean crap to mom." (gee, thanks Nana, that's kinda harsh)





The conversation ended well, without my having to say alot. Nana, my new attorney handled it for me.


I used an example of service from last week;"Remember when you called me from school and you'd forgotten your math book at home? What IF, when you called I'd said, "Ok, thanks for calling."-- and hung up? How would you feel? [she shrugged her shoulders as if to say, 'you would never do that!'] But-- I stopped what I was doing and took your book to you. I did so because that's how I show my love to you." And I used a few other recent examples which were plain enough that she could see her initial accusation wasn't valid.


The light went on in her noggin. By the end, Daisie was softer, realizing it wasn't me she was mad at, she was just really bored and wanted me to fix her boredom, which wasn't my responsibility.


(dontcha love teenagers?no wonder I'm looney!)





Nana has learned my "love language" is Service. Words are fleeting to me. Gifts are something you set aside,mostly. Hugs are great--but Service is where it's at for me.





That's how I show love and how I best receive it. So, to really drive the point home with Daisie--AND to help her in these rotten teenage years--I started quietly doing more for her. Just small things: making her bed, helping with her laundry (my kids do their own at age 10), curling her hair, painting her toenails, listening to her middle school "drama", talking about her personal progress, and just yesterday we all went to watch her audition for the Spring play--even though it was a closed audition--we waited in the hallway for her to come out. She was grateful and I was glad to be there for her. I'm not doing this stuff every day...just one thing a day really. Daisie's "love language" at this point in her life is "GIFTS"--she loves getting stuff..so I have also picked up little things from the store like nail polish, and gum, little markers, and laid them on her bed for her.





In fact, all of my kids have different love languages, so-to-speak, and that requires some conscious attempts on my part to meet them where they are...David Scott is words and gifts,


Dani is words and service, Nana is definitely hugs and words, Boofus, at this point is hugs and gifts, as well as the Caboose. So as a Mom, I get to learn how to speak all those languages and equally try to teach them the language that I respond to best. And their languages are still evolving, so I gotta keep on my toes! It is sometimes challenging, cuz more often than not, I try to show my love to them in the same way I recieve it--which doesn't always work. But, when I remember the ultimate goal here--to show my family love in ways they need to feel it--I do much better.

What about you? What is your "love language"?

*Note: After I posted this, I realized when I wrote "words" what I should've written was "time". just f-y-i.

13 comments:

  1. Nice post. I'm going to have to check that book out. You're the second person who I've heard recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really neat way to look at it. I'll have to read those books. What a great way to respond to a "moment" in your child's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having my Mom listen was sooo important to me as a teenager and still is.

    I've got to find that book. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, you still talked about how you give affection to others afterall. :D I've heard a lot about this book, especially lately. Maybe it's a sign I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely service. It's much easier for me to show love to others through my own love language, but so much more effective if I use theirs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing a day can change the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've thought about what love language mt husband and I fall into, but it never occured to me to analize what my children are. They are SO different and I try to parent different for each of them, and now I'll attempt to show my love for them how they need to "hear" me say I love you. Thanks for your "spin" on this weeks topic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're such a wonderful mother, and so perceptive. I hope I can understand my children's needs as well as you can!

    My love languages are words and physical contact, according to the test, but I think they really are words and service. And I love giving gifts, but don't care as much about getting them. My husband's is almost entirely quality time according to the test, but I've realized that it's also words.

    Oh, and every time I comment it tells me it can't be processed and I have to try again, so I hope I'm not leaving multiple comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said. Only I have had that book sitting on my night stand for a couple months now and have not even opened it. Darn it! Now you are making me read another book! :-)I will have to start on that--but not until I write my comments tomorrow on chapter 2 for the book club.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read this book--it sounds very interesting. I have a teenage daughter too--your description of this stage is right on. My daughter loves gifts too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So last night I got the book out and my husband and I took the test to determine our "love language". We both ended up being fairly balanced between three which I thought was interesting. But, one thing I did express to him is how I like it when I have his undivided attention because it happens so rarely. While I am saying this he gets on his laptop and starts downloading a program for work. I asked, "Are you seriously doing that while I am telling you how much it means to me to not have you do that?" He looked at me and said, "Am I going to be on your blog again tomorrow?" Funny man. I sure love him though. And in his defense, he makes the bed every morning (I'm gone) and brings me flowers every week.:-) Oh, I also learned that my senior daughter just wants to spend time with me--and have my undivided attention as well. So I am going to work on that as I am just as bad about the computer as my husband is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to everyone for posting comments! I love reading your "take" on this topic. Thanks again to Cocoa from Cranium for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of this "love language book" before, but I think it's time to give it further attention! I think I'm fluent in receiving love in many different languages, but I need to study up on my kids specific language, as they are so very different :)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!