Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: Love For Self






Love For Self:
what it means to me.















Being honest about the woman in the mirror is the best gift I can give myself...
It serves noone to be anyone else or anything else.
Plus, I'm so forgetful that if I were ambitious enough to try to be someone else,
I'd soon have a hard time remembering just who that gal was?
It's better this way.

I actually like myself and the direction I'm headed.
And I accept that I am an Evolving human being
that is entitled to make course corrections when needed.

Knowing my Limits is a gift of love to myself.
I am never going to climb Mt. Kilamajaro. Or be in a Rock Band.
Or win at Dance Dance Revolution. I cannot do ALL things well.
I can do somethings quite well though.
I am not terribly witty or unusually smart. Or a Scriptorian.

But I'm clever enough for my husband and my kids,
I have sought out careers that express my passions,
and I know that once I open the scriptures
my day is going to be better.

I am patient with myself. My expectations are reasonable.
My footprints may not stand the test of time
But then again, I'm not trying to be larger than life.
The idea of being someone like "Pioneer Woman"
makes me pee my pants.
My expectations of myself are:
to raise my kids in a home of logic & love;
in a way that will show them that giving your best
is worth what it costs; is in no way
glamourous, but can be joyful.

I am gentle with myself
.
I need mercy. I'm not perfect, but I'm not happy
making excuses
for my weaknesses either.

I believe that to be "Great and Noble"
One must do what the "Great and Noble"
Do.
So That's my goal.
I don't want to be famous.
I want to be Great. And Noble.
Even if noone else notices.
I want to be Great for the sake of being Great.

Self-love is more than the food we eat,
the clothes we wear, the color of our hair
though those things do reflect how we feel about ourselves.
I like to wear: *red when I am feeling unsure.
*Black when I want to blend into the scenery.
*My 11-year-old Breckenridge sweatshirt
with holey sleeves, frazzled neckline,
and alien spots in various places
when I feel loved for who I am.

I don't color my hair. "cept those two times when I dyed it MEDIUM Brown
and it came out Elvis Presley blue-black.
I have little grey hairs coming in at the sideburns and along the hairline.
I used to pull them...
sometimes I still do.
I really wish my whole head would just go grey all at once!
I've earned a headfull of amazing white hair, like a red badge of courage.
Only white.

Loving my body. I have stretchmarks that could
serve as a roadmap for New York City.
Each one, again, earned as I carried 7 babies
to full-term pregnancy. I used to wish them away.
Or rub cocoa butter on them like a buddah belly.
Now I don't even notice them.
I just notice that my belly isn't smooth and firm like it was when I was a kid.
But even that, I don't dwell on. What a waste of time.
Maybe when I can't find my size at Kohl's anymore,
I might seriously fall apart in the dressing room.
Maybe someday there'll be "drive-thru liposuction":
"Um, yeah, I"ll have a happy meal with a Sprite,
and some fat off my thighs today, thanks."

I laugh at Myself. My foibles.My lunacy.
I laugh more than I cry.
My kids can laugh at themselves and laugh with me too.
Those are my favorite mom-moments.
Somedays, I just crack myself up for no apparent reason.
Even when I am alone.

Laughing at myself gives me permission
to not be perfect. It feels good.

Self-love means acknowledging both
my Strengths and my weaknesses...
with equality.
Sometimes I need a kick in the butt
to remind me of my strengths
because my weaknesses
demand more attention.
Yeah, they bite.
But my strengths give my heart peace
so I try to remember that.
"Men are that they might have joy"--right?


That's Self-Love to me.
...Appreciating where I've been,

what the Journey has been like so far,
and not grimacing when I look into the mirror.
The older I get, the better the reflection,
another good thing about poor eyesight.

My Self is a good Self.
What about you? How do you love the You that is YOU?


*thanks to Cocoa from Chocolate
on My Cranium's topic prompt.












15 comments:

  1. I personally believe that Shauna of "Trying to Stay Calm" has sold her soul to the devil.

    How else can you explain it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! See, Shauna could never possibly conceive such an intelligent, thoughtful post! You have it hands down over her... she's just good at networking. Or, the other soul/devil thing I mentioned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an 11 year old Lion King sweatshirt that I love to wear when I'm feeling comfortable. And thanks for the reminder to laugh at myself. I take myself way too seriously sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! I love the whole list of why you really love yourself. I can tell we'd get along really well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've said it all. Loving the good stuff along with the stretch marks and being merciul to one's self. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am currently wearing my 15 year old college sweatshirt. It's my "comfort gear" too.
    Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice...could be published! My sweatshirt is 15 years old and I wore it last night, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who cracks myself up when I'm alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the laughter...I cling to that...sometimes in inappropriate places, but always such a natural impulse..just what the body needs. I like your comments about the girl in the mirror and being real...you said it well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all so true. Thanks for reminding us that being comfortable about who we are is what Self Love is all about. We don't have to be the best at everything or the most beautiful but we have to recognize the qualities that are there. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks to all of you awesome mommy bloggers for leaving such kind comments. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks the way I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great!! Thanks so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this post is excellent !

    RMAX, however, is just kinda mean with comments about Shauna...totally uncalled for !

    If you don't want to publish this post, I understand, just wanted you to know how I felt about those comments LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. To any who might wonder about Rmax's comments, she is responding to a fun rant I put on her comments page about a brand new blogger (since Nov 09) who has had over 12000 profile veiws!
    How on earth does someone do that???--was the question I put to her...she simply responded in her own hilarious way--exactly how I thought she would!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry I judged out of context RMAX...Momza set me straight alright...lesson learned LOL

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!