Friday, February 12, 2010

Dear Me, A Love Letter to Myself


Dear Me:
I haven't see your twenty year old Self
in twenty-eight years...
There's some things I'd like to tell you
if I could.

First,
You're not Fat.
I know you wrote in your journals every year
that you were seriously overweight.
You weren't.
You were too hard on yourself.
You were lovely.

Look at that soft tanned skin
and bright smile...
you were getting ready for your
Bridal Shower
that June day
in Houston.

You'll love being married.
You'll learn how to cook
more than spaghetti
and mac n cheese
eventually,
and the smoke alarm
will be the dinner bell for a few years
but that's okay.

You're going to have a huge family!
Bigger than you ever imagined!
And the first three children
are going to give you
many moments and hours and days
of joy and happiness...
and almost equally the same
amount of moments and hours and days
of self-doubt, frustration, and worry.
But, you're gonna be fine.
No permanent damage is done to any of them
by eating Mc Donald's Happy Meals 3 times a week.
They're fine, just fine.

The oldest
is going to teach you how
to get dressed in 20 minutes
with make-up.
He's also going to teach you
not to leave money sitting around--
watch out for that one morning
when he throws four twenty-dollar bills
off the balcony
thru the glass-sliding door.
Oh and don't even waste that hour
outside looking for it
on Shaw Butte Mountain
in Phoenix.
Somebody else surely thought
God had answered their prayers that day.

The second child,
your first daughter is going to teach you
that every child is different
and don't compare them.
She is also going to teach you
that each child needs to be respected
in their own right--
and she's going to show that to you when
she is 3 1/2 years old at Easter.
You're going to go all over north Phoenix
looking for the right easter dress for her--
and she is going to reject every single dress
you show her...
but when you stand back and let her choose
she will positively glow
in a little pastel floral dress
with a white lace collar
dropped waist
and pink ribbon.

The third child
is going to come along
before the first child
is two years old.
I know.
I know.
But this one is going to
teach you how to pray
morning
noon
and night.
His special needs
will bring you to the
arms of Heavenly Father.
You will learn to listen
with more than your ears.
He will change
your very core.
And that humility will
refine you in ways
nothing else can.

The first three,
prepare you for the ones
that follow.
And tho you may consider
taking up drinking,
you won't need to...

There are some things I wanna warn you about:

That perm you're thinking of getting:
don't do it--
you're going to look like a poodle (!)
and it's going to take a long time to grow out.

That Loving Care Medium Ash Brown hair-dye
for $2.79
is going to turn your hair
Elvis Presley blue-black
and still cost you ninety dollars
to fix.
Don't do that either.

Michael Jackson is going to be a superstar--
and that
Thriller album you just bought
is going to be a history maker,
so save it.

Donny Osmond is not gone forever--
he's going to be a game show host.
I know.  But he ages well.
And his marriage lasts,
so
you were right to give up on him.

That Classic 1972 Malibu
that you love so much--
even with the broken a/c
is going to be traded in for a
gross Ford Country Squire station wagon.
In Missouri.
That's right,
you're not staying in Houston, little girl--
you're going to move around
ALOT...
but the good news is that you're going to get
to live where you've wanted to live
since you were seventeen:
Colorado Springs.
It's just gonna take some time
to get there.
In the meantime,
you'll leave Houston
for Independence, Missouri
then onto Phoenix
and South Carolina
back to Phoenix
and THEN back to Colorado.
That's only gonna take 16 years,
and a divorce.
And that's gonna hurt,
but you're gonna heal just fine
and the world will feel right again,
I promise.


Oh!-- and when you watch
"Phil Donahue" one morning in 1982,
he's gonna be talking about
a new invention
"The Personal Computer"--
don't balk at it,
go out and buy as many stocks as you can
in a tiny little company called
Apple.

Tole painting will go the way of the dinosaur--
so all those white ducks with country blue dots
that you're about to learn how to paint--
yeah, enjoy it thru the 80's and then toss 'em out.
Or just learn how to use a personal computer.

Neon socks, peasant tops, bell bottoms,
leg warmers, and jogging suits all make a huge
comeback in 2008--but don't save yours
because you're gonna have a big bahooey by then
after seven,
yes,
Seven
yahoos.


There's alot more,
but let's leave some surprises
along the way.

I just want you to know
that you're going to be okay.
Many wonderful blessings will come to you--
your life will be exciting and joyful.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
You eventually figure things out
and it's all gonna be okay.

Smile at yourself more
when you look in the mirror.
You are beautiful.

31 comments:

  1. This is one of the BEST posts I've ever read. It's wonderful. What a great idea. I laughed out loud and teared up. If only we could know then what we know now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want my future self to write me one of these letters...

    you were just as lovely then as you are now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed to look back at pictures when I was younger and realize that I didn't look as terrible as I thought. I try to remember that when I think the same things now, but it isn't always easy. If you figure out a way to really tell yourself about Apple stocks, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love love love this. LOVE THIS. I'm gonna go add a link to it to my post today. This needs to be read by so many people!! Brilliant, Momza!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific post! And true as true can be...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really sweet. I always try to remember that everything will probably be okay, but I should also be nicer to myself (I'm really a big jerk to me). Really good post today! (I love this blog)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, Beautiful post. I totally agree with Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post for today ... what a great thing for yourself, for your children - for the rest of us out here in cyberspace!!!

    And yay country squire wagons!!!!

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVED THIS!!! fabulous! i love reading your posts and what a brilliant and inspiring idea. guess some of the thing i think about and do now, do not really matter. thanks for sharing! you are a wonderful lady!

    jessi sherwood anderson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eternal Lizdom pointed me over here and boy am I glad I came. This post is lovely. And your sayings along the side remind me why I love kids. They say the most wonderful things! Thank you. and Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wouldn't it be great to be able to go back in time and hand that to yourself, then watch the reaction on your face? Oh, yeah, that would be a fun time! Hee, hee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE it! If only there was a way to truly write a letter to our past selves...but would our past selves listen to all the advice? I don't think my past self would. Still, it's wonderful to see what you've learned along your path.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a beautiful letter to yourself. Wow, what a timewarp!
    I'm a few years older....therefore probably wiser....or not. But I wish I had know about that little apple company old Phil was talking about.

    I really enjoyed your topic on MMB too. You are such a great writer. Always fun to read you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are amazing, and how glad I am that my blogging journey has brought me in contact with you. Now I know why we all do this (sometimes I've wondered . . . ) Thank you!

    Kristin
    I'm coming back with a friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a letter that we each need to write to ourselves. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stopped by from MMB...and I'm glad I did! What an amazing post! I wish I could have written a letter like this to myself from the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ ALL OF YOU SWEET BEAUTIFUL WOMEN:
    Thank you for coming, reading, partaking and leaving your very kind comments. This was very good for my soul to write...I highly encourage each and every one of you to write a love letter to yourself. It might be on your blog, or in your journal...we need to love ourselves. We do so much for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow this made me cry.. makes me think back at my life..
    and you do have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Sue and GRAMEE: Thanks so much for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post. *wipes tears from eyes*

    I tell myself to appreciate my perky breasts because they won't last forever. And what is it about 3rd kids bringing us to our knees? I thought my first two were hard, and they were, but in completely different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Visiting from Liz's place. This is terrific-I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful letter to yourself. Are you doing better now loving yourself each day?

    It seems like a hard thing to do sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally needed this today. Made me tear up. Thanks! Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a beautiful post, I became a follower.....and I don't even know how I got here!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Stacy, Mrs4444, jenny, Nikki, Prairiemaid: Thank you so much for stopping by and your kind comments! So glad you can relate! Hope your Valentines Day was special!

    ReplyDelete
  26. And I just wrote the Easter Bunny! Yours is much sweeter. I'm so glad I stopped by and plan to stop again. Isn't it funny how life changes and if we only knew then what we know now. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW.................WOW.................WOW!
    LOVE THIS POST. YOU SERIOUSLY HAVE A BEAUTIFUL TALENT THERE. I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DO IT,BUT KEEP DOING IT. EACH DAY I LOOK FORWARD TO WHAT YOU WILL BE WRITING ABOUT NEXT. I LOVE GETTING MY "MOMZA" FIX.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simply awesome...I'm so touched by this post...made me think twice about how hard I have been on myself in the past too ! What a beauty you are, past and present !!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!