Tuesday, April 26, 2011

When Lucy and Ethel Staged a House to Sell....the missing episode

Yesterday morning I went to a house I recently staged
to help the homeowner (Hi W.!) get ready for a showing.

W. has a beautiful home--
six bedrooms,
five bathrooms,
thousands of square feet so noone's standing
in front of the theater screen
across the room.
Ever.
Gleaming wood floors,
granite countertops,
winding staircase,
huge landscaped lot--
seriously,
this home is a great one!
The only thing standing in the way
of my purchasing her home
is that her asking price is above what I can afford by
$250,000.00
give or take.

I showed up just a little bit before the showing
to see W.'s hard work--
and lemme say,
that Momma W. done worked her bum off!
Everything shines like a new penny.
Bedrooms are perfect,
bathrooms are spotless.
We turned on the lights,
cued up the music,
and
the final touch:
chocolate chip cookies
and water with fresh lemons.
It looked great!

Just as I was about to slip on my shoes
and head out the front door,
the doorbell rang--
ACK!
it was the Realtor and her clients
seven minutes early FCOL!
W. took off for the backdoor to the garage,
as I greeted the guests as I made my Ethel-like getaway:
"Hi there. I'm not the homeowner. Nice to meet you.
The house is beautiful. Have a nice day."--
wondering if W. was gonna get out before being noticed.

I jumped in my big honkin' Sub and went home--
thinkin' that W. had also jumped into her big honkin' sub
and left her house.

Only she didn't.

She got in her car, intending to leave--
but realized she didn't know where the Realtor parked--
was it in the driveway or on the street?
If it's in the driveway,
there was no way she was going back into the house
and ask them to move their car.
Why?
Because she didn't want to make any sort of impression
on the buyers.
And,
she'd been too busy to fix her hair and make-up!


So channeling Lucy,
W. did what any awesome-house-selling-momma would do--
she got into her car and hid inside there
until the Realtor and buyers left her house.

While in there,
she remembered that a breaker switch had flipped,
so she waited until she could hear them going upstairs
and jumped out of the car to flip the switch
(I'm guessing it was in the garage!)
and jumped back into her hiding place.

She heard them come into the garage,
and hid under a big coat of her husband's--
and held her breath for dear life
until they left.

****

And this, dear people, is one of the many many reasons,
Mothers like W. have secured their place in heaven.
Lucy woulda been proud.
I know I am.





10 comments:

  1. Oh, how hilarious. I can only imagine the embarrassment had someone noticed she was hiding in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a neat house! And she sounds like a good (and highly motivated!) seller.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome!

    I am having our laundry room painted today, and then putting in new checkerboard vinyl tiles on the floor. Once you start with one thing, you want to do everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! I can just see her all huddled under the coat in the car, trying not to move but wanting to giggle, (I would be giggling for sure).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hilarious. We ran into a few house owners when we were looking for houses here. Awkward!

    And I'm laughing at your house hunting stories. We ran into a few "gems" ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, Momza, you told that story word for word and I am still laughing. I had my cell phone with me and I was going to facebook a comment like, "You will never guess where I am hiding right now and who I am hiding from."

    My hubbies coat was not big enough to cover my legs and it was a small car I was hiding in....it was very funny. I was hoping they would stay a while but also hoping they would hurry up so I could sit up and walk.

    Our breaker panel is in the garage, yes, and in a corner. I thought about hiding there but you know how men are when they want to see if a garage is what they want, I would have been busted! And more embarressed.

    I found out today the buyers have a contract on a house, they loved our home, it was in their top two AND the realtor said it was the nicest home inside that they had looked at. Thank you stager. Just wish it was the one they really wanted. They said it was too over priced. They didn't even give us a try with an offer. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.

    Thank you Momza stager....I found some more before photos....wowzer. My home looks smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh i love that episode of I love Lucy! I don't watch much of it, but that one is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL....LOL...!!
    I just LOVE W. and Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I needed a good laugh!! Thanks for providing it. Too funny. I could just see it all happening.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!