Monday, April 25, 2011

Ramblin' Away

Easter Dress Shopping:

Took the Caboose and hit the mall.
We went to our favorite go-to-store for fancy dresses-
Burlington Coat Factory.
but couldn't find one in her size.
B-T-W, I have never bought a coat there.
In fact,
their coat aisle is like 6 rows deep,
and I've never even walked down it.
Have you ever bought a coat at Burlington Coat Factory?

Then we went to JCPenneys, Dillards,
and even Sears!-- and were about to give up looking
altogether for an Easter dress--
when Ari pointed at Macy's in the parking lot.
Macys! Yes! (crossed fingers)
Thank goodness for Macy's!

It's not that the other store didn't have dresses--
they did.
But I don't want my ten year old wearing a dress
with slits up to there,
revealing necklines,
or that awful full-body rouching with glitter and bling all over it
as though she is a float in the Easter Parade.

And yes, we did have a few moments where she liked a dress
and I didn't.
Even my go-to-phrase of "I think we can do better" got old for me.
Ari said, "You keep saying that, and we haven't found anything better, Mom."
We were both tired of looking.
But like I said, thank goodness for Macy's.
We found her special dress--the one that she twirled around in front of the dressing room mirror
and her face lit up in approval.
Just what we wanted...a girl hasta have some twirling-action, ya know?
And it was 40% off, so that sealed the deal.

Then we went in search of a pair of white easter shoes.
I was thinking ballet flats or sandals.
We went to a few stores, and our night concluded at Payless--
whereupon finding out that a girls' size 5 is that same as a women's size 6
stopped our search altogether as Ari's eyes focused on
a pair of women's white, high-heeled sandals.
"I feel pretty in these, Mom. Can I have them? They fit perfect."

That was hard.
They were cute.
They did fit.

But she is ten.

I went back and forth to the girls' shoes,
offering up different styles,
but she wasn't budging.
She wanted the grown-up shoes.
Badly.
Everytime I rejected them, we both felt bad.
In the end,
I told her that she has good taste,
and those sandals are very cute and all,
but she's just ten years old
and there will be time for high heels in her future.
We agreed to keep looking,
though not without some tears on her part.

Drawing lines.
Sometimes that's a full-time job as a parent.
The stores will keep selling adult-themed/styled clothing
as long as parents buy them.
And from what I see,
alot of parents don't mind dressing their little ones
up like small adults.
Why rush youth?

Anyway, as Arianna and I were heading home,
the topic of the womens' sandals was very fresh
and so were the tears...
I had drawn the line and she didn't like it.
I pulled rank and that was no fun either.
But about halfway home,
she offered an apology and to lighten-up she said,
and I quote:
"I can't help it if I'm hot. I come from a hot family."
Me: "You mean regliar hot or sexy hot?"
Ari, laughing: "Sexy hot. You know my sisters, right?"

We both laughed.
She thanked me for her dress and we agreed to look again
for the perfect shoes next time we go shopping.
Yesterday, she wore a pair of flats to church with her dress without complaint.

*****

Joseph has decided he is a "pre-teen"...
he requested "Axe" deodorant and hair gel.
He's showering everyday without a battle.
I know, right?
Could be a phase for all I know,
so I'll take it while I can.

Arianna and he were discussing her status as a "pre-teen" this morning,
and he asked me if she's a "pre-teen" like him.
Of course I said yes...taking my place on this slippery slope once more.

*****

Since the Easter bunny secret is out in the open this year,
I was thrilled to go to bed and let the kids dish out the candy,
n' hide the eggs for baby Garrett's big hunt.
I've been the resident Easter bunny for 27 years
and plan on enjoying my retirement.

Because Dani & Brad were down over the weekend,
we decided to have the big dinner on Saturday instead of Sunday.
Best Decision Ever.
Highly recommend it.
Mr W and Dani prepared it while I was at work--
which isn't why it was the B.D.E.--
nope--
it was the B.D.E. because we had leftovers yesterday
and it was easy-peasy.
We're thinking we'd like to make that a tradition.
The Easter bunny comes on Friday night,
why not have Easter dinner on Saturday
and really rest on Sunday?
****
Daisie and I went to a baptism of a co-worker's son last night.
It was held at New Life church.
Being raised a Baptist,
I was quite comfortable and familiar with the services.
For Daisie, it was a new experience altogether.
The contrasts were stark.
Whereas in the LDS faith,
baptism is a reverent, quiet experience,
at New Life it is quite a production of loud worship music,
complete with drums, guitars and synthesizers,
dancing, cheering, clapping and a lightshow.
In the LDS faith,
participants all wear special white clothing,
and at New Life it was a "come-as-you-are" deal--
jeans, shorts, bathing suits, dresses, fatigues--
very casual.
Noone asks the "baptizee" (pretty sure that's not a word, but you know who I'm referring to)
anything beyond their name,
and then they're dunked underwater and that's that.
We saw one man get baptized,
and then promptly baptize 4 family members.
It was a joyful party for everyone involved,
and I was happy to share it with my co-worker and her family.

It was a good learning experience for Daisie.
I want her to understand other faiths and how they worship,
and just as important as understanding their faith,
I want her to respect them and their traditions for what they are,
and on the flipside, be able to examine her own faith with clarity.
The experience provided the topic for some great conversation
last night with the family.

****
House-hunting.

I haven't been to a single home that's been staged yet.
Which means, I am still looking.

*****
It snowed Friday night.
April in Colorado makes me happy.

So that was my weekend.
What about yours was different, unique and happy?

8 comments:

  1. Oh No! Axe + teen = watery eyes, sneezing and choking... at least in my house. Many discussions about how much is too much!

    I agree about the modest dress issue. I am glad you found something you could both agree on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated hearing about the shoe interaction with your daughter. My 12-year-old and I have been down that road too.

    Why is it so hard to find an appropriate dress for tween girls? It looks like the hemlines are falling, though, for which I am grateful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very, very glad you went with making the right, albeit hard, decision. Since I've been working with the Young Women, I am finding how much I appreciate moms who are willing to deal with some tears and hard decisions for dressing/doing what's ultimately best for their children. Thank you for the example you are to me. And the fact that Ari's such a great kid is proof that she is grateful for the example too! (P.S. I know we were supposed to call you and get together last week. We'll shoot for this week.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you managed to find an Easter dress that didn't look like the cover of a trashy novel. It's getting ridiculous! And good for you for holding the line on shoes, too. There's enough time to be grown up, and those last days of little-girl-hood are worth savoring.

    We did end up having a wonderful weekend and a happy one...but I took kind of a strange journey getting there. (I posted about it today.)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved looking for Easter dress with my girls.. I like getting to know their style! We talked a lot about style and it was easier 14 yrs ago! as you know I am on the OTHER spectrum in trying to sell our house! It's clean and ready to go EVERY DAY... and in 6 weeks, there has not been one person come to look at it (Realtors yes, actual buyers no). I don't know if I need help or a new town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We changed it up for Easter this year too by having the Easter egg hunt and family dinner on Saturday. I agree B. D. E. It was much more relaxed and guilt free, (I have always felt a little uncomfortable doing the whole Easter Bunny thing on Sunday, it takes away from what Easter is really all about, being Jesus' resurretion). Plus on the upside, the weather was a comfortable 73 degrees and sunny on Saturday and was rainy on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss Easter dress shopping! Our Easter was lovely - with my parents in WARM St. George! My hubby had to drag me back (kicking and screaming :)

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year, we took a risk and bought the kids Easter clothes without them there. It was easier that way. They usually end up buying something they don't really truly love the other way. Anyway, the sizes were right and they loved them (and they looked better than if they had helped pick). A success without the fight!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!