Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harry Potter Built a Bridge

To be Short, Sweet to the Point:

The 15 yo and I are carving out our relationship...
nevermind that she's the 5th child--
the 5th teenager I've lived through.--
that counts for barely nothing in her book.
She sees all of that as irrelevant
because
she. is. different.

We're going round and round lately
on the same pivots:
school, seminary, home.
I'm predictable.
And I like being predictable.
My yahoos know me pretty good--
and heaven knows,
I want them to.

I don't have any fresh ideas or strategies
I'm just burning to try out--
keep it simple
is my motto.
Well, not really,
I didn't make that up--
some other guy did,
but I like it.

But here's the deal,
the 15 yo wants me to change things up--
she wants to be the exception to every rule
because, you know,
she. is. different.

Unhunh.

She hadn't done her "part"
this past week,
and then was invited over to a friend's house
to hang out on the spur of the moment
last night.
I wanted to say "yes"--
and I even told her so.
This is the hard part about being a parent,
I told her.
I know you really want to go.
I know this is important to you.
And I really really want to just say yes.
BUT
You didn't do your part this past week.
Or even today,
when I asked you to do two very specific things--
you blew them off
until I got on you about it,
and even then, at this moment,
you haven't done one of the things.
And here it is,
6:45 at night.

So what's the right thing to do here?

She huffed and puffed about--
stating her case, as it were,
before me and her Dad,
trying to convince us that
WE were the ones in error..
and it all ended when she finally did the one thing
I'd asked her to do several hours before
(mop the kitchen floor--which took her all of 5 minutes)--
and then sulked down to her room.

I hate this.
I'm too old for this, ya know?

After taking a minute to reflect,
I went down to her room--
finding her with the music blaring,
and her in bed curled up with a book.

(How do they read or even think with that noise on?)

She sat up,
and we talked...
and talked and talked.
And nothing was getting resolved.
Everything I said was met with,
"No. That's not it." from her.
And a "Hold on a sec and listen to what I'm saying." from me.

It was going nowhere.

So I called in reinforcements:
my oldest dd, Dani--
I told her briefly what's going on,
and she agreed to call sometime today.

Then I called my oldest, ds, David Scott--
who wasn't answering his phone.
I figured he was probably out on a date with his wife.
Possibly seeing "Harry Potter".

So with my reinforcements unavailable,
I wondered what could I do to make things better
right then.

So I sat and got a wild hair--
after confiding in Mr. W,
I got online
and quickly bought 3 tickets on Fandango
to see the next showing of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
for me, Nana and Daisie.
I scooted down stairs and whispered the plan in Nana's ears--
"Don't tell Daisie we're going, just tell her to get a coat and shoes on."
I went and got some decent clothes on,
brushed my hair, grabbed some shoes and my coat.

Daisie had no idea where we were going
and of course kept asking--
just when we were at the car door in the driveway,
I said,
"We're going to go talk to the Bishop about this and see what he says."

(ain't I a stinker?)

Her response was priceless--
"WHAT? No! No! I'm not going!"
Nana: "Get in the car, dork."

She did but wasn't happy about it.

Then we acted like I took a wrong turn,
and ended up at the theater.

She was surprised, as I'd hoped.
I turned to her and said,
"This is me, making an effort to spend time with you."

Of course, hugs were all around.
The movie was super intense--
and as we came back to the house at nearly midnight,
I thought,
that ol' Harry Potter does alot of good,
he's a good friend to Hermione and Ron,
he's kind to Dobbie,
he's all about fighting the evil he-whom-shall-not-be-named,
and he helped build a bridge between me and my teenager.

That's one good guy right there.

20 comments:

  1. You are such a cool mum. I remember being 15. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are a great mom. To be so involved and to make such an effort to spend time together is something that not every mom would do. so, go you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great solution. Don't you love it when you act on the Spirit.
    Good job, Mom.
    Bet she's mad at you again today, right?
    Those teenage memory banks have short recall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great way to meet her in the middle. Remind her that they are each unique and different in their own way. What works with one or two, doesn't always work with the rest. Sometimes, it is hard to be the mom. But, it is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did good!!
    We parent alot alike. And dang, when you get to the fifth one their arguments cannot sway you because you have already been through it too many times.
    I too, would have stuck to my guns and not let her go to her friends house, but the movie and spending time with you was a superb idea.
    I'll be she'll think twice about doing her chores on time next time...or maybe she'll just be in the mood for another movie! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! I can totally relate! Loved your solution. I have a new respect for Harry...and you! Not that I didn't already have respect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read your blog from time to time and I can tell you that I am taking notes. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    kjsbucketlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the parenting thing. Glad Harry could help you out.

    I know I'm too dang old to cope with this anymore. My youngest is still giving me fits and she's 19.

    I loved your cranberry post. I'm gonna have to try the salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the tactics. I always tell my hubby that it was much easier being a teenager rather than raising one. My boys are 17, 16 and 11 and each one different as night and day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet another reason to love Harry Potter! And more importantly, another reason to love you. I know you didn't tell us this story to set yourself up as some model mother, but Momza, you are such a great example of loving your way through the teenage years. I'm so glad you share your experiences - you lift and encourage me so frequently and give me hope that I really can do this whole mothering thing. Hugs sent your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Communication is a good thing. Glad the lines are back open between you and your girl....the 15 y/o, going on "grown up." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to be - what a prompting :) I think I need a little prompting to see Harry Potter tomorrow :)

    So glad it worked for you. That what we need sometime is just a little break from the routine.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowzee! I love reading your posts. So full of heart & good advice. this one brought me to tears. I could feel the Spirit in each word I read. Thank you & Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad that worked out for you!! It was a clever way to resolve the situation. I can emphathize with you a bit. My youngest and I are not seeing eye to eye over a boy she likes. He is a nice boy but I am opposed to her having a serious boyfriend at this stage in life. Anyway, I try to talk with her and she just puts in music so we can't talk. When I try again she tells me that forcing her to talk is not going to get her to open up. Okay then, we won't talk. I will just give her the rules and she can obey them. Then she pouts. It is terrible having parents who are so old fashioned and out of touch!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo... I like the bishop lie. Very sly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes you gotta hang the rules and do what's right, right now, in this situation. Something I hope to keep in mind when mine are that age...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to be you when I grow up. I think I will be borrowing this idea with my two teenagers. I find myself Every. Single. Day. wondering if I have suddenly started speaking Chinese. They baffle me, but the advice to build a bridge and get over it is pricless. Thanks!

    ~E

    ReplyDelete
  18. That reminds me of some things my mom did when I was a bratty...er...fiesty teenager. You're a good mom and someday she'll appreciate you even when Harry Potter's not involved.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!