Monday, February 2, 2009

Weekend Wonderings





Our Saturday started out just like this...bright blue skies, not a cloud to be seen. And it stayed like that all day long. Have I told you I love Colorado?? The white one in the background is Pikes Peak. I wish I had a camera that could show truly how close we are.

The building to the left is a FED EX building...we wish it would crumble to the ground so our view would be unobstructed.


The Boofus had a sleepover Friday night with a neighbor boy, A. who is not a member of our church. They built a fort out of the blow-up mattress and every blanket they could find.

Because we feed the missionaries every Saturday, I asked A. if he thought he should call his folks and let them know that our missionaries join us for breakfast on Saturdays. A. said most of his friends are "of the Mormon church" and his mom doesn't care. Okay then.




Boof's friend, A. eating a crepe..in his hand...He replied after he'd eaten it, "Wow, that is really good jewish Mormon food."


We held our laughs in as best as we could and let him know that a crepe is not a "mormon food"--it's just regular. ( I could make green jello and carrots/mandarin oranges/grapefruit--but maybe next time, eh?)

Boofus couldn't believe this kid picked up his crepe and ate it like a burrito.



Nana and Taylow...and a brand new greenie, Elder Nevells, from Missouri. He's been in Colorado for less than a week and we love him. BTW, crepes are his fav breakfast--that's why we made them.






Mr. Wonderful and Nana...she's a dork to the highest degree. And, for being a Senior, she is remarkable happy--wonder if it's b/c she has a peice of crepe in her mouth?



*note: see that Air Force Falcons white cup there? Nevermind that Mr W is drinking coke at breakfast--he has had that cup since 2001--it is his preferred cup! Why? I don't know--it could be that it holds 2 cans of pop in it with ice, or that it's just AF, BUT whatever the reason, he has us all believing IT IS the best cup in the house--his pop always tastes best in that cup, no kidding! See how weird we are?











Our missionaries, E. Nevells (Missouri), and E. Gulbrandsen (Eagle, ID). We love feeding the elders breakfast. I think they like it too cause they rarely cancel.
***

Saturday night, Nana and I stayed up and filled out applications for Summer Jobs for her: one for Princess Cruise Lines in Alaska, and the other for LDS Nannies. She requested an assignment on the East coast, as she has always wanted to go there. Danielle was a Nanny in Europe the year after graduating HS and it was a wonderful experience for her. And I am all about getting out of the house and exploring--so I encourage the kids to try something new! I'll let you know what happens with those two options.

*******

Sunday, our ward had a special combined RS & Priesthood meeting on becoming a Gospel-Sharing family.

Taylor and I were asked to participate. She shared her experience of coming in our home, feeling loved and feeling a "difference" there that she felt nowhere else. And how those feelings brought her to the decision to learn more about the LDS Church even when she was 14 and how our family has affected her life. It was all great. BTW, her father is asking the missionaries to come and teach him...in his words" Against my better judgement, I feel I should learn more." SO there's hope there for him too. How cool is that?
And at that meeting, I just tried to say all I could in as short amount of time/words how we feel sharing the gospel is a natural consequence of our friendships.
I can't recall anything else I said. I just hate that. Mr. W assures me I was coherent and didn't ramble on...which is what I stress about when I am asked to speak.

Anyway, Dani & Mr. Idaho came down from Lakewood last night to do laundry (why? I don't know. There are laundry facilities on their property.) and then all the kids sat around and colored until bedtime. Yes, ALL the kids...my kids love to color. Dani even brought her own markers--I am not kidding. It is "therapeutic" for her, she says. They stayed the night and left this morning.
The Steelers won the SB--but I didn't watch a second of it. I did make some twice baked potatoes and some lil smokies for everyone, but I found a book called the Nanny Diaries and read it through. It was well-written, but the main character cussed alot. That was distracting and I wish it had been left out, but it wasn't predictable and I liked that. I also read 2 other N. Sparks books last week..."Bend in the Road" and "At First Sight". ugh. No more Sparks for me, ever. Formula writing. Predictable. Easily forgotten.

So that was our weekend, in a nutshell. Oh, I also helped set-up for a wedding reception on Saturday with Nan and Kelly, and other gals from the ward. I wish I had taken pics of it too, I just forgot! Imagine that!
WHAT DID YOU DO OVER THE WEEKEND??

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that same blue sky here in Colorado Springs. I am going to post some pictures of it next week. We all commented on how it almost looked fake, like a backdrop for a movie. We sure have had beautiful weather while we have been here! And how cool about Taylow's father! Looks like the missionaries have fun at your house as well. I hope your daughter finds a job. My senior daughter is looking for a job as well. And I didn't watch any of the super bowl either, but I am sad the Cardinals didn't win. Go Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book Club--I think one chapter a week and commenting on Thursday is a great idea and will plan on that. I finished chapter 2 last night so I am ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you tease Boofus' friend for eating his crepe like a burrito. Looks like Elder Neville did the same.... NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy: Great! I'll post again on Thursday Ch 2.
    Nan: Aren't you so smart?! I just noticed that myself. Have u met the new elder yet? He is so good.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!