Sunday, March 22, 2009

We Believe...

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
~Articles of Faith, #4.

IN Primary today, the lesson was "Baptism"...since I teach the children who are turning 8 this year, the "age of accountability" in the LDS faith, this is an important lesson. We discussed why we are baptized (it is a commandment), who can baptize us (someone who has the proper preisthood authority), how we are baptized (by full immersion), and when we are baptized (when prepared, around 8 yrs old)...then we discussed the example set by our Savior, Jesus Christ...when he came to John the Baptist as he stood in the Jordan river and together, they fulfilled a prophecy, which we can read about in Matthew 3.

I got a little emotional teaching today. For 7-going-on-8 year olds, it cant' be a long drawn-out lesson. The most important thing I can do is to make the setting fit for the Holy Ghost to attend and touch their little hearts.
I shared my story of joining the Church at age 16. (another blog for another time)..then we talked about The Caboose. She is also a student in my class, but she wasn't there today cuz she puked her breakfast up this morning, just as we were leaving for Church. We all still went, but she slept in my lap during Sacrament meeting (70+ mins.), and woke just as it ended. Her face was all flushed and red--she said she didn't feel good--it was easy to see she wasn't. Mr Wonderful said he'd take her home and bring her back after the rest of our meeting were over in 2 hours. She was hesitant to go--today she had a special meeting with our Bishop Rogers. Her Baptismal Interveiw. She wants to get baptized next Saturday and that meeting was important.
When Mr W offerred to bring her back in time for her special meeting, she agreed to go home.

Now, that may not be a big deal to you, but it was to me. It showed me that my little Sweetheart knows that being baptized is something worth sacrificing for--even if she doesn't feel great, she doesn't want to miss out on her chance to take her place in her Heavenly Father's kingdom. Not if she can help it.

In our faith, there is a cultural tradition known as Three White Dresses, which is directed at our young women...the first dress is her blessing dress --sometimes it is an heirloom, sometimes handmade, but always it is beautiful and white. The Second dress is a Baptism dress...she isn't baptized in it, but wears it afterwards to signify that she has been baptized and of course, the colorless white reflects her purity. The Third dress is her Temple Wedding dress...because when we are in the Temple, we all wear White. Not Ivory or cream or whatever fashionable color is the trend--no, just White. White is a symbol of Virtue and Purity, but it is also the symbol of Victory.
The Caboose will be wearing Dress Two on Saturday.

Enjoy this video... oh, and grab a tissue.

5 comments:

  1. wHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME i'D NEED A TISSUE to watch that video. My oldest girl is 7, t-minus 1 year unil dress number two. I swear she was just in her first white dress last month. You have a very sweet blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sweet! Congratulations to your daughter on her baptism. So sorry she is sick right now though. I also loved reading about your son. My son called 911 the day he learned about it as well. Luckily they called back to make sure we needed help before dispatching anyone. Thanks for sharing all your stories. They were very tender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, yes, actually, I am taking it easy on some days. and Jason did massage my feet yesterday for over 1/2 an hour - it was historic and wonderful. This is my last week of massaging and working - then I'll just train our new employee and take it easy for the last 2 weeks...If I go that long! I'm so excited! You are great and I'm going to read your blog now...about Deano :-) take care, Bergen & Jada

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught this lesson too on Sunday. My Nat has a little over a year to go to her 8th birthday, and previously she didn't want anything to do with baptism (to here it was very scary for some reason) but on Sunday she was very receptive to the lesson, so we're making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love that story about your daughter and how important it was to her to be there for her interview. They grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!