Monday, March 23, 2009

Before You Put That "For Sale" Sign in Your Yard...




Stage Your Home First!

The Selling Season is fast Approaching! Now is the time to get your home ready for the home market. Being proactive about preparing your home will pay off! I've Home Staged two of our homes and they sold within weeks. One sold in 13 days--to the first family that looked at it--in a market that had 11 months' worth of homes in my immediate area!




The key is to present your home at its' very best on the first day it's on the Market. I cannot tell you how many times I am called in to stage a home that's been on the market for 3 or more months---as a "last resort"! Home Staging should be the first thing you arrange before putting that sign in the yard and the house on the MLS.

You don't have to spend alot of money to show your home at it's best. Most energy is expended in good 'ol elbow grease! Clean Your House. Top to Bottom. Every nook and cranny. From the curbside to the back fence. Most homeowners have more than enough stuff--truthfully, we own too much stuff--so now is the time to get ready to move!

Pack away all the stuff that is filling your closets, your bookcases, your cabinets and drawers and crammed in your garage. Sort thru it--you don't wanna take unwanted items with you to your next home, do you? Get rid of it--have a garage sale! That way you can make money off the old stuff to buy the new items you will want to customize your new home.

The biggest obstacle I face as a Home Stager with the homeowner is Sentimentality. I encourage them to prepare their home for a new family. Selling a home is an emotional experience for some--especially if they've lived in the home for a long time or if it is their first home. So, disconnecting yourself is essential to staging your home to perfection. Start thinking of your home as a Product you want to sell...pack away your memories (you're taking them all with you!) and show prospective buyers how much you really loved your home by showcasing it at it's best!

I'll start a short Home Staging Tips blog once a week, now thru the summer, with ideas on how to stage your home to sell and answering questions if you have any. Staging Works!

6 comments:

  1. gReat post--I'm adding this to the Nest Files!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very informative video. I wish more people had seen and heeded it before we started looking at homes! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. It's always nice to get to meet new people and read their blogs. I noticed on your profile that you've lived in Houston; me too! I grew up in Friendswood, just outside of Houston. I loved it there and can't wait to get out of Ohio and back to Texas:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey-I learned something new about you today. Very, very interesting! I look forward to more tips. (not that we're selling our home any time soon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I deleted the video b/c it was more like an advertisement for a specific realtor. WIth You Tube, you can find lots of tutorials on home staging though--so check them out!
    Marilyn: are we not the sum of all of our experiences?! lol Thanks to everyone for their comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so true! My sister had her house on the market for six months without a nibble. Then they hired a new realtor who immediately made them fix up a few things and update the linoleum in the kitchen. The house sold two weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was interesting...we may be traveling down this road in the next few months so this is great info and I can't wait to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!