Friday, April 10, 2009

Gethsemane...were you there?


This is the work of Carl Bloch, a Danish painter commissioned to paint scenes from the Savior’s life for the Chapel in the Fredericksborg Castle, that had been ravaged by a fire.
For 14 years he painted scenes from the Scriptures.
Of them all is my favorite called “Gethsemane”.
In it, we see the Savior, exhausted & weary…in the embrace of an Angel.
Luke 22:41-43
41And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

Notice the scriptures do not NAME this angel. It has always been my feeling that we who had chosen to follow Him, yet still in the heavens, may have witnessed this scene. And I have wondered who that Angel was…if Heavenly Father had said to me,
“ Will you go to your Brother and give Him strength?”
…that I would have…
what would I say to Him in that moment
when I saw Him take on the sins of the world, wracked in agony…
what would I have said?
The only words I can even think of would be
“Thank you thank you thank you.”
I don’t know if I was that very wonderful Angel…
maybe it was You.
Maybe it was you who lifted our Brother,
comforting Him, loving Him.
What words did you say?

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderous thought.Could we here on this earth be the one to lift our elder brother in his trials while he does the same for us while we are here. Very intriguing!!!
    Happy Easter to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very moving both your thoughtful post and the beautiful clip. :-)

    we've always been pulled to that moment, at Gethsemane, there's a special message there . . .


    thank you for the post, and a blessed Easter wish towards you and yours

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tender, touching video. I had never seen it. And I liked your post, too, which really captured my imagination.

    Happy Easter!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!