Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Hey Mom, Can I Go Flying with Pilot Boy on Saturday?"


Nana is dating a new young man these days. He used to live kitty-corner from us for 7 years--Dean even helped him and his dad landscape a mini-golf-course in their backyard--he and Nana went to the same schools at the same time, in the same grade--and they just met last weekend at a mutual friends' house. How strange is that?!

I know enough about him to fill a thimble: He seems nice enough.He has good manners. He's always smiling...not pouting or angst-ish like alot of teenage boys I have met. He's a runner. He's heading to CU-Boulder in the Fall on a full-ride scholarship. He's an only child-- which makes me wonder what he thinks when he comes over here to the Revolving Door Nuthouse?
Kids runnin' in and out, laughing, squealing, fussin' and fightin', hormones-raging-house-full-of teenage-girls?? Is he a glutton for punishment? Or does he, as most people do, leave this house feeling better about his own life??
Anywho-- I will call him "Pilot boy" to save him from future embarrassment /psychological trauma...and save myself from any possible law suit.

As Nana and Pilot boy stood in the kitchen yesterday, chatting about nothing, Diana says, in her most casual-toned voice, "Hey Mommmm, Um, can I go flying with [Pilot Boy] on Saturday up in Denver?" Which, in her mind sounded like she was asking if she could go have a slice of pizza with him--

BUT TO ME, sounded alot like, "Can I hitch a ride to the moon with an 18 yo little boy that I do not even know if he can tie his shoes or wipe his own nose but I trust to safely take me to the moon and back?"

Caught off guard, I said :" I worry about you driving around town with him and now you want to FLY. in a PLANE. OFF THE GROUND. NEAR MOUNTAINS?! (with a boy I just met let's see...1,2, 3 days ago??) Uh...can I uh...well, I'm uh, gonna need more information first. (THINK, THINK!!) Like, uh, who else is going to be in that plane with you two? And uh, stuff like that."
I couldn't think of the other questions to ask, altho there MUST be something else I need to know.
Pilot Boy smiled & very maturely said he'd answer any questions. I think he may be smarter than me. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. I KNOW for a fact, that CU-Boulder would not offer me a full-ride anything. They might let me scrub their chalkboards, but that'd be it. It kinda freaks me out that my Nana is dating someone smarter than me. I have to ask myself which way I'm going when I pull out of the driveway! I cannot conceive piloting an airplane--there are no street signs in the clouds...I'd aim for Utah and wind up in Denmark!

So Pilot Boy has his license...he got it from the Air Force Academy...he's 18 years old and flies...
Nana is 18 and doesn't have her driver's license! Mr W says smart boys like cute girls and he's a classic example of that...it took me a minute to figure out he was saying I'm cute. Yeah, I smacked him.

I've got 3 more days to decide if I trust all that is in heaven to take care of my Nana while she is a passenger in a plane of a Pilot Boy. Why can't he just take her to Prom like regular boys?

14 comments:

  1. First off, I love your zany family pict...it sets a fun loving tone for your blog that I just love.

    Secondly, a word about pilot guys...guess what? I married one, and it's OK. ;) In fact, he knew how to fly planes before he could drive a car. True story. Although his pilot's license is now lapsed (for which I'm secretly grateful), he's one of the dearest guys on the planet.

    Like a great woman (Louise Plummer) once said, "Fear doesn't kill you, it just gives you diarreah." ;)
    PS: found you on MM blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! What a tough decision! I'm sure he's a fantastic pilot, but then again he's still a teenage BOY. Scary combination IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you're killin' me. This one would drive me right up the wall...quite literally. And I plain don't like small planes. Never have. And 18 years old. Yikes.

    And again, YIKES.

    Many, many hugs coming your way...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went flying with a guy I was dating once. We were a little older though and he'd finished commercial airline school and had several thousand hours of flight time. He's married to my best friend now- and I know for sure I dodged a bullet with him- but his flying was first rate.

    Not sure I'd let my 18 year old go up with only another 18 year old either. Maybe buy some time by saying you'll consent when you know him better (if they stop dating then you won't have to worry about it and if they keep going out, well, you'll have to get used to it anyway!)

    I grew up in a house with 5 sisters and only 7 years age difference between the oldest and youngest. I know firsthand the chaos you speak of. My guess is that he LOVES the craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have said, "You can go in a plane with that kid if I can come too." You know he'll fly right with you watching. Or get completely spooked and hurtle into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm...since I only have kids 12 and under, I don't think I'm qualified to render an opinion here. But YIKES! That would make me nervous. Maybe you could go with them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I love you Dawn! I miss our sidewalk chats. My Dean went to Flight School last year. My BIL has his license. They have to know so much to be able to take anyone up. It's technical on one hand but on the other they have checklists very clearly spelled out that they have to make sure the plane is ready. Then the worst the Pilot can do is make it a rough ride. That being said, I have a hard time thinking about letting my teenager-in-6-years daughter do anything with any boy (I'm in denial that this day will ever come) and therefore don't feel qualified to comment. Does that help? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Terresa: I better get some Imodium, is that what you're saying?
    @Moody: I hope "fantastic" is what describes him!
    @Sue: Thanks for the HUGS!
    @Cynthia: So you missed that bullet eh? I suspect there's a story there fo sho. And if he's gonna last, he better get used to the craziness!
    @RMAX: Spoken like a true comrade.
    @Amy: I have no desire to fly in a plane with an 18 yo. I'd probably stomp a hole into the passenger side "imaginary brake pedal" and cause us all certain death.
    @Candice: I'd trust Dean. And your lil M will be a teenager before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok Momza,
    Here is my opinion, They don't just hand out those licenses to just anyone. He has had training and hours in the sky supervised before they would ever let him up on his own. He also must have some income coming in because flying is not a cheap venture, so I am assuming he is responsible enough to hold down a job, and lastly if he is flying a plane waaaaaay up in the clouds you know exactly where his hands are.

    My youngest is a pilot and I would trust him with any one of my grandkids in the cockpit with him. It sounds like an adventure not to be missed.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. @RBS: Thanks for your positive input! The D-day has been post-poned until Monday b/c of the fantatic Snow storm we're having today & tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My opinion is No Way! I would not let my 18 year old fly with another 18 year old. How much experience can any 18 year old have anyway? And how mature can you be at that age if something goes wrong. Sorry to be a downer, but I know too many horror stories (and the people who were in them) to be positive on this one--even though the odds are in your daughter's favor.

    And about him being smarter than you. No way on that one too! I have read your blog!You seem pretty smart to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Joy: thank you thank you for your confidence in me! And, I think I am going to make her wait a little while, so I can get to know Pilot Boy better before she leaves the ground with him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, your decision was a very well vieled no. She'll live, definitely because she is safely on the ground.

    When I was 17 I asked my parents something big, in the same league with flying with a boy, after a few days of consideration they said "no." I was mad. But before the conversation ended they told me the decision was based on an answer to prayer on the matter. They encouraged me to pray and find out for myself if they were right. Guess what? The answer for Heaven was "NO!"
    That single experience taught me one of the best life lessons I've ever learned. It wasn't about not going somewhere with a boy, it was about learning more personally my relationship with my Father in Heaven and that my parents cared about me enough to guide me to Him.

    Maybe this will be something like that for D.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Sara: that is great advice. I'll let you know how it goes! As for now, she is still "grounded".

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!