Thursday, June 18, 2009

Weekend Roundup --Scout Camp, Summa School, Baby toes and Nana-nanniness!

Summer is busy here in Colorado Springs.

These little finch eggs are living



in this...which is right next to my front door. Poor Mama Bird zips away everytime the door opens...which is approximately 5,321 times a day at our house.

Again, it has been a busy summer week around here...
Monday:
It rained and rained and rained some more leaving our little corner of the world wonderfully GREEN. Sunflowers seeds I got for Mother's Day...s'posed to grow up to 15 FEET Tall!


Raspberry bushes starting to bloom...

Clematis. Alive and blooming with all the rain!
Bleeding hearts bush out front. Are they not the cutest?




Love it. Summer school started for the youngest Yahoos...9-11:45am. I love Summer School! Peace and quiet for almost 3 straight hours rocks. I have absolutely no guilt over that statement.
Tuesday:



That's Joseph with the green bandana and neat hat that used to belong to his Granpa Joe who liked his fedoras...the hat is nearly as old as me, I think.


Scout Camp started for Boofus...I volunteered to help out wherever they needed me.
Camp was held at the Air Force Academy just down the street from our house. It started at 8:30am--we didn't have to leave the house until 8:25. woohoo!
He loved it: new friends, new skills like whittling, archery, golf, and bowling; and got to practice skills he hasn't done in awhile like knot-tying (he tied Dara to the kitchen chair to show us his new skills!), horseshoe throwing, and just using good sportsmanship.

Wednesday: SUPER BUSY DAY! Took the Boof to Scout Camp, and as I'm dropping him off, I say, "See ya at 3!" and drive off. Took the Caboose to SS, and say, "Ok, see you at 11:45, sis!"
and off I head downtown to the BirthMatters! clinic for the day. FOR THE DAY. It was then I realized, "hey! I won't be home to pick the kids up! Shoot! How are they gonna get home?"
I made some initial calls, but realized that all the moms I called, were volunteering at Scout Camp! Finally, I thought of my neighbor down the street and she was very kind to go and pick up the Caboose from school. Next, I realized I just needed someone who was at Scout camp to just drop Boofus off afterwards. Since we really live so close, I just knew that wouldn't be a problem as long as I could get ahold of someone's cell to call them. I called Nan in a pinch and she took care of it. WHEW! What a responsible parent I am these days, yeah?? ugh. I shouldn't be trusted with the care and feeding of a goldfish




...much less kids. Thanks to Nan, Marci and Wendy for stepping in for my lack of planning.
Okay, so I loved my time at the clinic. http://www.birthmattersmidwifery.com/. Time flies by supersonically. A woman walks in a stranger and leaves a sister. And babies--don't get me started on Babies! Have you seen baby toes lately? O. my. goodness. And those baby necks? is there anything softer in the entire world? oh and their baby smell. mmmmm.
And their Mommas---women at their finest--new mommas...glowing despite lack of sleep with newborns, or glowing with round bellies. love. love. love.
Okay okay...so then I ran and got some groceries after work cuz the shelves were nearly bare at home. I'm calling this my Skinny Summer, so most of what I'm making is LITE...as in grilled fish and salads. I need to lose this winter food baby I'm hauling around. I'm looking forward to the day when there is DRIVE-THRU LIPOSUCTION:
"Yes, I'll have a kids happy meal with chicken nuggets, a sprite, and a little off my thighs, thank you." "That'll be $29.95 at Window 2, please drive thru."
But until that day, I gotta do my part to peel this blasted bahooey off.

The Caboose had Acheivement Day Girls at a members house that I have never been to...but the report went like this:
"Their house is HUGE! It has a SWIMMING POOL in their Basement with a SLIDE! And a zipline! And a treehouse! and an ELEVATOR, MOM! They have an elevator in their house!", "Wouldn't it be great if we could BUY it for SIX DOLLARS? Wouldn't it?!!"said with as much enthusiam and incredulousness as she could muster. Un hunh. Six Dollars would rock my world, Sister!
After said dinner, we took the kids to Cottonwood Creek Park (took the camera but forgot to take pics!) b/c the Ward Mutual night was "ICEBLOCKING"
...so since it was a spectacular summer eve, we took the whole family--even the hound. The Park was PACKED everywhere...little league baseball, girls fast pitch, soccer fields full, playground busy, and just a whole lot of people doing their thing. I love summer nights like this one.
And that was my Wednesday.

Thursday:
So Thursday was the last Scout camp day, and also the last day of the week for Summer School. I shuffled each of the kids accordingly and came home to get my Doula certification papers ready to send in, only to find I am missing some stuff. Wahhh. I'm anxious to get this turned in, because I want to take another series of classes to become a Childbirth Educator. I love teaching...so this will be a dream come true if I can take these classes and move forward into another venue of what I love.


Before I knew it, it was time to go pick everyone up...then the Scout Committee put together a luncheon for Moms and scouts at the Stake Center. I took pictures...the committee outdid themselves! It was Perfect with a capital "P". I'm am so grateful that Boofus is in a Troop/Pack that has such active leaders involved and engaged so wonderfully. He loved Camp and that makes my day!

While on the way there, my cell rings. It's Nana: "Guess What? Guess What?!!" She has been chosen as one of ten girls by the Nanny Agencyhttp://www.yourchildsnanny.com/ for a nanny position, specifically an LDS Nanny. Did you know that's a big deal? To be a Nanny that comes from a heckamongous Mormon Family? Well, she fits the bill being the 4th of 7 kiddos. She made $100 bucks yesterday babysitting. Anywho, we don't know where yet...altho she did request the East Coast. So we'll see what happens next. But she is supposed to begin in June. It is June! ACK!! So if she decides to go the "nanny-way"...she will postpone school for a year. Good news for her. She was hoping to have this option to make some much-needed college money and now she will!

Friday: Yikes! What's next??



6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are blogging still...so much going on at your house...your daugter is beautiful !

    We had LDS nannies every year when we lived in New York and Rhode Island ( in our ward ) usually working for Jewish couples and professional couples who were married to their social lives and work. I hope she gets a nice family to Nanny for...it's not easy duty at all but it's a good way to see how the other half lives and see new places too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have good friends who help you with the things you forget.... You are so blessed. NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-busy week. But I love seeing your outdoor activities and such-we don't do much outdoors in the summer here. And I have a new baby to snuggle and two cute pregnant bellies to look at of my very own! Totally agree on what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, just when I convince myself life in the Arizona heat isn't so bad, you post all these beautiful pictures of birds, flowers and fun activities from your wonderful Colorado living. Now I am discontent, once again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. Sounds like all of you are having a GREAT summer. And I'm glad you're still coming here once a week to blog about it!

    =)

    PS. Yep, LDS nannies are much in vogue. Makes sense, right? Hope your daughter has a wonderful experience and gets sent somewhere really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Momza-my husband says we're staying at the Red Lion Hotel, conveniently located between the Denver airport and downtown....whatever that means! Send me an email at tlarsen1 at cox dot net. I was thinking about going to the temple on Tues. sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!