Friday, September 18, 2009

Balancing our Passions with our Goals

First, I'm a Woman.
Then, I'm a Wife.
And intertwined with that~
I'm a Mother.

It is a delicate dance
that I attempt to do
sometimes I step on toes
often I trip over my own
feet...
I observe more experienced women
who seem to move
with grace and precision
as if they've been dancing this dance
for a million years...
I take heart that someday
my moves will be as graceful.

As a Woman
I have to take care of
my physical needs
My emotional stability (which is easier on somedays than others!)
Develop my talents
Pursue my passions
Follow God's plan
for me...among other things.

As a Wife
I am a Companion
and Helpmeet~
Find and stick to a Path
for my
Goal of Eternal Marriage
and making the journey
worthwhile and fulfilling...
among other things.

As a Mother
I am caregiver
nurturer
shoe-finder
nose-wiper
education-encourager
touchy-feely- hugger-smiler
funny-bone- finder
porridge-making
Mama Bear...
among other things.

I was reading one day
this Article by
a girl named Rebecca--
the daughter of a famous
Feminist,
Alice Walker.

The question was asked of
Rebecca:
What was it like being the Daughter of Alice Walker?
"lonely."
She replied.

Perspective is worth Gold.

Listening to Neil A. Maxwell
he said,
"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men of the peacemaking of women in home and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time."

Balance.

Rebecca's Mother spoke to the Masses
about finding your SELF
being true to your SELF
and Rebecca's Mother lived no lie.
She found herself and stopped.
She was true to herself.
I wonder if it was worth the cost?

For more of Rebecca's story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1021293/How-mothers-fanatical-feminist-views-tore-apart-daughter-The-Color-Purple-author.html



Balance = Peace

How do you balance your interests/ passions and your goals? What's the best advice you've received or given to other women about balance?

14 comments:

  1. I love this perspective. I've often thought that that is what the Oprah's of the world focus on the most... finding yourself. But is it possible to believe that the identity I am MOST proud of, is the one I find when I am lost in the service of my family? That doesn't mean I don't want to be a writer, that I don't have goals outside of those in the inner realms of my family. But if I listed my priorities, there is no question what would be at the very top. And I'm okay with that.

    As far as balance goes, I make time to write because I think it makes me a better mother. It keeps my mind engaged and stimulated. It challenges me, it makes me stretch. But there is a line that I try not to cross. It wouldn't be hard for my writing to become something that keeps from being a good Mom. And I certainly don't want that.

    I think we have to do something, other things that help us feel good, but I think more importantly we need to recognize motherhood as the awesome responsibility that it is and feel good about that.

    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Momza,
    Here is my feeling about the topic of balance. There is no such animal. I believe we live our lives the best we can, doing the best we know how but times and people change the background we are trying to paint in our lives.

    This is where the Lord comes into play, he asks only that we do our best knowing that it will not be enough, then he steps in and balances the scale.

    So in a way I guess my first statement is incorrect, there is a balance that can be attained, but only He can make that possible. Our frail imperfect human self can not ever acheive this on it's own. In accepting that and working to uphold my end of the deal, that is where I find my peace.

    Roxanne

    Thanks for giving me a thinking opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. That quote by Rebecca made me stop and catch my breath. Early this morning had to make a choice between helping a needy member of my branch and helping my needy daughter today. I chose my daughter. I'm thinking I made the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As women, with all we have to do, it is hard sometimes to achieve balance but when it happens, you know it and it's really good. I think we put a lot of guilt on ourselves and compare ourselves to other women too often. Life is just too short to wring our hands over nonsense.I like to concentrate on the eternal and that helps balance to happen in everything I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Comments! Thanks so much! And special thanks to RBS who called me this morning! What a great visit! IT was so nice to have a voice with a face AND a name! You totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LIke all of us, I balance things poorly at times, but I'm eventually willing to reassess and realign my life when it isn't working. (The timing on this depends too much on the level of my discomfort and not my knowledge that changes need to be made.)

    It seems kind of cyclical really, like I get my life all up and running for a while and then something goes out of whack and it's time to do that balancing act again.

    Just part of the gig we call life, I guess! Good post, and I'm going now to check out the links.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the "balance" in life comes when things becoming unbalance and we turn to God to help us thru those times he always helps us get thru. I tell my boys all the time it doesnt matter what is going on in your life how big or small it is..there is alot of power in prayers...I feel that when I start feeling out of whack when I just say a prayer it helps to bring that sense of peace..or balance back into my life...certainly something I need!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a beautiful family, and I can see that we share many common interests. thanks so much for stopping by my blog and making me feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Balance doesn't happen on a daily basis, especially with young children. You sometimes have to give of yourself all day every day, but it is so short lived and your time, your balance will come later. Put your energy where it's needed and most important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I REALLY loved this post. I also enjoyed readiing the comments from those who shared. I can't agree with you more. You find the best balance when you serve others because everything you give comes back to you in some way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is continually a work in progress. Sometimes I do better than others. Sometimes I'm totally out of perspective but then I manage to reign things in again through remembering what my eternal priorities are. I try to remember, and this is just me - Savior first, and that relationship. Then family, friends and self, temple service.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have come to believe the great quest of life is to find harmony in your relationships and balance in your life. I am still working on both. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wanted to tell you how much I loved this.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!