Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Life is Full of Flowers

Voilets remind me of my bedroom in Rock Hill, SC when I was 15. The wallpaper in my room was tiny violets and I bought a violet plant for my window sill. (Which promptly died, because Violets are best in indirect light. ) My Bff then was Jeanine.
Marigold's remind me of our house in Titusville. They seemed to grow wild there.
I'd pick the deadheads off and sprinkle the seeds along the path I walked to school everyday.
After a short time, there were marigolds every few feet that I just knew were there because I planted them! My Bff in those years was Pamela.

Magnolias remind me of Spartanburg, SC. We lived there while my first husband was in Chiropractic college 1989-1993. I loved the beautiful Magnolia trees. I served in RS there and my Visiting Teaching Companion, Lisa, became my best friend.
Iris' always make me think of our first home in Colorado Springs. I had close to 75 Iris plants
and their blossoms around July 4th was something I anticipated every year. My cul-de-sace neighbor, Dodee, became my walking buddy and friend.
Hydrangeas remind me of a sister who was a widow in our church, and her yard was full of them! She always had this sunny disposition and a cheerful countenance. She moved away and I still miss her.
Geranium's remind me of my own mother who loves Geraniums. Just the smell of the leaves takes me back to my childhood, digging in the garden with my mom in Florida.
Gardenia's remind me of my childhood home, also in Titusville, Florida. We had gardenia bushes right outside the front door, and when they were in bloom, the smell filled the whole house. I was careful not to touch the petals because doing so would bruise their tender petals. Isn't that how good friends handle one another? They remind me of Jackie.
Crepe Myrtle is the most delicate flower and I used to love to stand under the trees when a good wind blew forcing the tiny blossoms to fall to the earth. They remind me of Joy.
Chrysanthemums bloom in the Fall. Always around my November birthday. I love their abundance of petals and they remind me of Thanksgiving. I am grateful for all of my friends.
Cherry Blossoms remind me of Danielle's mission, the New Jersey Cherry Hill Mission. Every thing we sent her had to have a "cherry" theme or "cherry blossoms"...from nailpolish to body lotion, to hair picks, and even a pillow case and pjs!
Morning Glory's remind me of a lot of things...they grow wild in some areas, I know. One of our homes in Florida had a curbside mailbox, and morning glories grew all over it. I thought it was beautiful.They remind me of Dena.
Apple Blossoms make me think of the sweet purity of so many of my friends over the years.
Dorcas, Daily, Dorn, Karen, Kim, Dee, Julie, Lorna, Rhonda, Melissa, Melanie, Charlotte, Tammy, Lisa, Maria, Tia, Candice...and on and on.
Angelwing Begonias...actually these shade-loving flowers remind me of my Mom again.
She loved begonias in all their varieties and always planted them in the shady parts of the yard
or on the porch. And they remind me of Judy, my bff in 9th grade.

Lisianthus...we had these in our yard in Phoenix. Easy to grow and beautiful in many colors,
these remind me that good things can grow in poor soil with a little care. And they remind me of my daughters for some reason, I don't know.
Friends are the Flowers
in the Garden
of Life.
I love that metaphor.
What about YOU?
What reminds you of your friends?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE flowers, and I loved hearing of the friend and places you associate with them. It reminded me of that Beatles song, "In My Life."

    "There are places I remember, all my life, though some have changed...some forever, not for better, some have gone and some remain. All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends I still can recall. Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I love them all."

    (Hope those words are right...I'm too tired from the reunion to look them up.) Thanks for the great post!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post !

    When I think of my friends, I think of the special dishes and foods they prepared when we had get togethers over the years. Not as pretty or poetic as flowers but really Yummy memories !
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. How wondeful that you have so many friends to remember!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!