Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Amazing Almost Waterbirth

Yesterday started out fairly ordinary...
kids left for school,
I cleaned the house.
Except that yesterday,
I cleaned a little deeper
than normal
knowing there are alot of
babies
on the way
and I wouldn't have
a)the time to clean
b) the energy.

The rest of the day
was actually relaxing--
lunch with my BFF's
and ya know, the usual.

Then, around late-afternoon
I get the call.
You know the call, right?
After all these months,
you know what I"m saying
when I say
"the call"--
if not, go back to other posts
then come back here,
cuz even tho I could've told you
what "the call" means
it's really just the principal
of the thing now.

SO, THE Midwife:
"Mama M. thinks she is in early labor.
Contractions are about 10 minutes apart
and have been all morning. Just giving you a
heads-up."
 We went to dinner over at Nan's house--
whose husband makes the best hamburgers
on the block, and she makes a wick'd potato salad---
which meant no cooking or clean-up for me!
Gotta love that!


Just as we were finishing up,
another call--
"we're heading up the Pass,
wanna meet us at such-and-such,
so we can go together?"

Now, "up the Pass" is referring
to the canyon
between Colorado Springs
and Woodland Park--
a beautiful touristy-town in the mountains--
elevation around 8000 feet.

I threw all the kids
into the car,
drove the kids home,
and headed up the Pass.

I met the other Midwives
in the appointed Parking Lot
and up we went...
Up Up Up!!
Into the dark rolling mountains
driving to get to our Mama M.
She is living an authentic Colorado lifestyle--
up in the mountains,
out in the middle of nowhere--
not in an urban neighborhood
with street signs and lights.

ANYWHO,
after a few pass-bys,
turn-arounds,
back-ups,
and the like,
we finally find the driveway
of what is Mama M.'s home--
it helped that her Mother
was at the end of said driveway,
in her car, lights on,
waving wildly
so we could see it!
That always helps, fyi.

G-Ma's first words:
"I'm sooo glad you gals are here!
I don't know what I'm doing."

Okay, so let me say that while I am
smiling, smiling, smiling--
I am actually thinking,
"Bears live up here. Watch out for hairy
moving objects, and make sure you run faster
than the other midwives."
You know that, right? 
That you don't have to outrun a bear--
just the other person with you!


Anyway, that fear-factor
was actually very motivating as we
brought in all things
midwife/homebirth stuff--
we did it in two trips
which normally might take
four.
Fear can be a wonderful motivator,
just sayin.

Mama M. is in the livingroom
wearing a bikini top and sarong
drinking her Aqua Pure
and smiling as we enter.
Her family is there too--
everyone's faces wearing the same
expressions: gratitude and wonder.
Time 7:30PM

Emily and I quickly set-up
while The Midwife
does an assessment of Mama M.
Again, it's the same things:
set-up the Birth area:
birth kit,
baby kit,
labor pool,
bed area.
In the kitchen:
slice up some fresh ginger
into the water-filled crockpot,
boil some water for instruments,
find bowls for cool water compresses
and for emesis, if needed.

Mama M. is 3 cm dilated--
but just after we get there,
her body starts working--
she's been waiting for us.
Waves begin coming 5
then 3
then 2 minutes apart.
I do counterpressure on her hips
which she loves
and requests for each contraction.
Emily is with Mama M. in front--
breathing,
smoothing her forehead with finger massage,
words
words
words...
"You are doing wonderful."
"That's right, great job."
"Perfect. Just let each wave go through you."
"Relax your face and jaw."
"Let go of your shoulders."
And on and on we go.

We become part of Mama M.'s birth ritual.
Even between waves,
I am effleuraging her shoulders
and back muscles,
and we take a walk around the dining table
to keep circulation going...
she is laboring standing up--
the perfect position for early labor
because each wave counts towards progression
as the baby's head is gently
pushed spot on the cervix.

Mama M. is leading us all...
where she walks
I am right behind...
we make it around the table twice
and then lean over the back of the sofa
with soft pillows to support
her as she leans over
and lets her belly hang
and releases all her will
over to her body's natural labor.
Once the wave is over,
we again circle the diningroom table
twice,
and back to the sofa--
over and over again.

Two hours later,
she is 5 cm dilated.
The Midwife says
one more cm and it's "pool time"...
waves are coming quicker
but not more than Mama M. can handle
with support...
just 15 minutes more
and she is ahhhhhh
in the warm water
relaxing all her muscles.
"This feels so great."

I am in a different role
now--
tucked off to the side
I am not part of her ritual anymore--
hubby has stepped in,
supported by Emily and The Midwife.
I am charting every two minutes:
fetal heart tones
Mama's pulse, blood pressure,
words.
All of it.
The water is therapeutic--
within minutes,
Mama M. says she wants to push...!
YEA!!
The Midwife checks...
yes! Nearly complete!
Mama M. can give little pushes
when she feels the need...
"I can't help it.", she says.
Just a couple more waves
and Mama M. is complete
and she is
pushing with each wave
as her body guides her along.
She gets a small
"rest and be thankful" phase--
she can talk eaily and express her needs--
she is laughing ather hubby's corny jokes.

She pushes and pushes
until the head is out!
YES!
But it's a tight squeeze
so The Midwife
wants her on the bed
to finish delivery..
the entire baby is delivered
two minutes
later!
Time 11:00PM, sharp.

A beautiful son has taken his place in this little family
and their lives will never be the same.

Everything runs smoothly
with the afterbirth
and soon the sounds of a very happy
Mama M. are wafting from the bathroom
as she is showering:
"I seriously feel so great!  This feels so good!"
Hubby expresses equal amazment:
"That was so fast! Is this a dream? It's really over?"

Yes, it is.
Time to pack up and head back down
the Pass...
Michael Buble' cranked up,
I'm headed Home.







5 comments:

  1. I love your birthing posts. I'm breathless reading each paragraph. We know the ending, but the process is so wonderful to read. Glad to know all went well. Good luck with the rest of your mommies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story! I said it when I watched my sister deliver her baby, and I said it when, just yesterday, I heard the rapid heart beat of my own in utero... It's never NOT a miracle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know the outrun the other person you're with thing...that's mountain knowledge! LOL What a cool birth. Homebirths are so much faster than at a hopital with a parade of strangers and impatient ob's (in my humble opinion...) Well, that's one birth down... I'm still really jealous of what you get to do btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where were you when I was having babies!! (Oh yea, you were having your own!) I would have loved to have been surrounded with all those women and having my shoulders and back massaged.

    What fun for you!! One down and three to go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was beautiful! Although both of my births were necessary c-sections, it is awesome to hear of women having such wonderful, peaceful birthing experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!