Friday, November 13, 2009

Full Circle Water Birth

1:54 AM
I got the call.
Scrubs on,
face washed,
hair reasonably brushed
so as not to scare anyone.
I grab my doula bag,
and kiss hubby goodbye.
I am in the car by
2:12AM
headed down to Fountain, CO.
for the birth.

The client, Molly M.*
is known for having short labors
and I'm just hoping I don't miss it.
There's absolutely no one on the
interstate...
just me and ribbons of highway
bright city lights
and the crisp November air.

Of course,
I crank up Michael Buble'
like I do
so I can sing along
to his awesomeness!

It's November 13th...
Friday November 13th at that...
and it's not a bad luck day at all--
it's a wonderful day!

Ten years ago today,
I was the one in labor
at home
surrounded by my family
and giving birth--
The Midwife was there for me
that time--
breathing with me
encouraging me
as I labored in the pool.

Joseph was born at 7:11PM
this night
ten years ago...
and here I am this day
working alongside the same
Midwife for Molly M.

Talk about coming full circle...
thinking about it
releases a tear on my cheek
as I'm driving alone
reflecting on God's hand in my life.

I am where I'm supposed to be...
it took time to get here
but it is a sweet time in my life
the right season
for me to be doing what I'm doing.
All is well.

I arrive at Molly M.'s house
at half-past-two...
the house is quiet,
and I follow The Midwife
to Molly's M. room.
The scene is one of absolute tranquility:
lights are low,
candles are burning
classical music playing
Papa Bishop is timing her waves
while he sits on the bed
and Molly M. is standing
leaning over her birthball
breathing thru a wave.

After it passes,
she looks up and smiles
to greet us.
We return the smile
and head back out to begin the set-up.

Emily has arrived by now
and we do what we do best:
get. it. done!

We speak in whispers
so as not to awaken the other children
in the house,
and to honor the mood Molly & Bishop have
created.

Once finished,
we meet in the kitchen
with The Midwife who relays
her assessment:
Molly is 6 cm dilated,
waves are 8 minutes apart,
but this momma's last birth
was a mere two hours
so when her body kicks in,
things will go fast.

Because Molly's sweet husband is attentive,
we remain in the livingroom
to give them space and intimacy
until we're called for--
they are are well-oiled machine
and we know better than to tamper with it.

Once Molly is 7 cm
she is in the labor pool
which she melts into like
warm butter on toast.

As long as Molly is comfortable
and laboring well,
our presence is subdued for now.

We even take turns resting,
two rest while one is awake.
Finally, at 6:20AM
I hear a vocalization from Molly...
transition...
The Midwife checks her--
Yes! nearly complete
her cervix is stretchy
n all we need is for the baby's head
to descend and finish dilation.

Molly stands between waves
to use gravity efficiently,
she rocks her pelvis
sways back and forth
and does squats
to encourage the baby to get into
position.


During waves
she is  relaxed in the pool...
to look at her you would never know she is
in transition...
she is still,
focused on letting
her body guide her
and following the path
of creation.
She was born for this.

She lets out a low moan
and we know she is pushing
one more contraction
and we see the baby's head--
face up, posterior!--
one more and Molly brings
her child up out of the water
with her own hands
and holds her son to her
chest.
Softly she whispers:

"Hello, Baby!", she greets
this new love in her life.

The kids all file in
to get a look at their new brother...
Molly gazes up at Bishop
with love-filled eyes
his eyes return the same.

Time: 7:14 AM.

I head home
for a shower
a nap
and a birthday celebration.
Time:12:38

What a beautiful day.

*Molly is the given nickname for the client by her husband.

6 comments:

  1. So many birthdays on November 13!! (My husband's included) What a beautiful post about birth. I loved reading it. My niece had her last baby using the labor pool and loved it.

    Good luck with the next births as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I love hearing your birth stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This baby shares a birthday with my grandson! Cool!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, just beautiful. What a picture you paint. Happy Birthday to your Joseph (my twin birthday person!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your birth stories. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I never knew Nov 13th was so common for a birthday!
    Hope u all had wonderful days too!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!