Thursday, December 31, 2009

Did You Think to Pray?

Scene: BYU, Off-Campus Housing.  I'm a brand-new convert to the LDS faith, First day in apartment.

My new roommate was a Masters-degree-seeking student of Microbio-something-or-other, named Kim. 22 years old.  I was 18 and intimidated.
The first night sharing a room together, we say our "good nights", flip off the light.
I get on my knees to pray. I hear her do the same.
I say what I need to say, and am up in my bed within a few minutes.
I see Kim is still kneeling,
but it had been a long day, and I was tired, so I roll over and go to sleep.

I wake up hours later
and see she is still on her knees!
"Oh my goodness. She must have alot to say to her Heavenly Father! I am so lame! I will try harder the next time I pray to really think about my prayers!"

The next night, the same thing, we say our "good nights", flip off the light, and hit our knees.
This time, I make sure my prayer is more meaningful.  Still, when I am finished, I know she is still on her knees!  I lay there waiting to see how long she will take to say her prayers. 
I fall asleep before she is finished.

The third night, and fourth night are no different. 
I try to make my prayers even more earnest,
praising, repenting, pleading--
I wanted to be better or at least be as good as Kim--
seeing that she was being carried off in a vision
or something!

Still, as I finish up, and get into bed,
there kneels my roommate at her bedside!
I am thinking,
"She is going to be translated in the night!
She is so righteous! I am so unworthy to be here!"

Because of our different schedules,
we never see each other all day long.
Not until Sunday morning,
do we even have a chance to visit,
as we're getting ready for Church.

So we're standing at the long bathroom counter
in front of the mirrors,
primping ourselves,
when Kim says, very non-chalantly,
"Oh, can you do me a favor?"
I said, "Sure."
"The next time you see me on my knees longer than, like, 5 minutes, would you just tap me or something? I keep falling asleep while I'm praying and my knees are killing me!"

4 comments:

  1. Funny story, but it took me off on a memory tangent. We used to have a guy in our ward who was beloved by my children because he "prayed short."

    heehee

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS!
    So funny!
    Flashbacks from byu days too.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!