Thursday, February 4, 2010

February in Colorado Springs and Gucks

Ducks.
or "Gucks" as their known in our house
thanks to the Boofus when he was a "yiddle guy".

We got some snow this morning
and after I did some volunteering at the kids' school
this morning
I sloshed down to the yiddle pond
to get a closer look.

Most of the pond is frozen over
'cept for this yiddle spot...
I wonder what happened to this flock (gaggle?)
that they are still here in the Rocky Mountains
in February freezing temps and snowy ponds?

I'm guessing these are not Adult Gucks,
but rather
Teenager Gucks.
They missed their scheduled flight
to Miami
or Phoenix.

The alarm didn't go off.
They missed their ride.
They couldn't find their ipods.
Got sucked into facebook.
                Or
They went to Miami last year
and it was so boring!
None of their friends were going.
They had nothing to wear.

Maybe they're still here
to prove a point to their
stuffy, overbearing parents--
who are absolutely clueless
about how hard it is to be a
Teenager Guck
in these latter days!

So they're freezing their feathered-bahooeys off
so Mom and Dad will
come to their senses
and realize that Teens need their Freedom.
Yeah, that's it.
"Heck No! We won't Go!"

Write it down yiddle gucks,
write it down
and save it for Spring
when the ol fogies come back
from Cabo with a tan
and find you
tummy up
in a snowdrift.

That'll teach them.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, I laughed so hard over this one!! In fact I am still laughing. Oh, so very true!! I love the way you think--in that you were able to come up with that story from seeing the 'gucks'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some geese that swim around the water in our backyard and I always get cold seeing them. Now you've given me something to chuckle about instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post, and I was also struck by how strange it is that they are still there. I think maybe you've got it right. They ARE teenagers.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely hilarious. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not weird at all. Mike did serve his mission in Birmingham England and is from Nampa. Is he the same one you know? If so how, and I'll ask him about you tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. funny---I still say some of the same words that we used when the kids were little. Case in point...eggies...not eggs...has to be eggies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Yes Mike remembers you guys. Turns out I remember you too! I believe we met a few years ago outside of Deseret Book in Eagle. Small world huh? Mike was excited to see your blog and how you are both doing. Thanks for commenting on mine. It'll be fun to read your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!