Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I'm a Mormon

Last week my mother's husband died.
Since I never lived with the man,
in fact, only met him twice
I don't define him as
stepfather.

I don't have a relationship with my mother either.
For reasons not appropropriate to share,
she and I have never ever ever been close.
Not since I was nine years old.

Our relationship really went down hill when,
at 16 years old,
I made the decision to join the LDS Church.
My family was so against it,
I was literally kicked out of the house
with the clothes on my back.
I was a senior in high school.

Months later,
my parents had a change of heart
and they, along with my 4 brothers
were also baptized into the LDS church.
But shortly after,
my parents' feelings got hurt
and that was that.
My parents backed out as fast as they came in.
But I didn't.
And because I didn't,
I was asked to leave the home again.

It wasn't awful.
I lived with some remarkably loving families
in the Church--
and I learned so much in a short amount of time
from the Mothers of those households--
on how to run a home
how to cook (cheese grits-- yum!)
how to sew,
how to use a soft voice...
and many other things.
So my time in their homes
at their sides
in their circles of prayer
was a blessing.

It's been almost 32 years
since I made that decision
and have never once
not even once
regretted it.
The LDS Church is my family.
No matter where I've lived in 32 years
when I walk into a Chapel
I am home.
The members welcome and
love us into
their fold,
teach my children,
bring in meals when I'm sick,
pray with us,
rejoice with us,
share our burdens.
I don't know how other people
get thru their trials without this kind of support--
I'm not that strong.

So when my mother's husband was sent home
to die,
his needs exceeded her abilities.
And after many years of silence,
she emailed me and asked if I could
contact the church for her
to receive some help with her husband.

At first,
I was angry.
Angry...
I didn't want to ask  the Church
in her area to help her.
Not after what she'd put me through
all these years--
constant persecution for being a member,
rejecting me
rejecting my children
it was just too much.

Then my heart softened
and I looked up the contact information
for the Church in her small Texas town
and sent it to her
with the message:
If they can help, they will.
I knew that to be true.
That's just what my people do.

She made the call
and the floodgates opened...
members came in and blessed her life,
like I knew they would.
They buoyed my mother up
through this difficult time.

I looked up airfare prices--
too little notice= too expensive,
so I didn't go.

The ward there took care
and stepped-up in ways
that has overwhelmed
my mother
and my brothers
and their wives
as well as the other relatives--
none of whom are LDS.

In speaking with two of my brothers last night,
they spoke of their humility
and gratitude for a young Bishop
who presided over the funeral--
he'd never even met my mother or family
until Sunday night.
My brothers said how completely in awe
they felt as they witnessed
kindness after kindness
from the members of the ward
who visited the home with dishes
and dishes of food
and words of comfort
and love.
One of my brothers said,
"Every time the doorbell rang,
we just looked at each other
wondering how could they keep coming?
We're not used to being treated like that."

Another brother said,
talking of the Chapel mortuary,
"You'd think there'd been more people for J.--
he'd lived there his whole life--
but maybe some were already dead, ya know?
The chapel was filled with Mormons though. I've never been hugged so much in my life.  And of all these men in suits and ties, you could pick out the Mormon men--there's just something different about 'em--know what I mean?"

Yeah, I do. It's called the Holy Priesthood.

A few minutes later, into our conversation, he said,
"I don't know what you did, Dawn, or who you called, but having the Mormons there, MADE it. They just knew what they were doing, and carried the whole thing off."

"I didn't make any calls. I didn't do anything. I gave mom their number and stepped back." I said.

That's all I had to do.

"People's lives were changed, Dawn. I'm not the same person I was. The Bishop took to me, and we're gonna keep in touch."

I took the opportunity to tell my brother that I am so glad the Mormons in that little town were exactly like the Mormons in the town I live in now. And I asked him, "Can you see why I've been a member all these years and raised my kids in it?  Can you see why now?"

"Yeah.  I love you Dawn."

"Tell Mom I love her."

28 comments:

  1. Our ward has had many opportunities to serve people in times of need and grief who have stepped away from the church for whatever reasons. It is always a good thing experience !

    I was lucky...at 16, my parents were all for me joining the church because they each ran across a good example of a church member before I was born and each person left a deep impression. They gave their permission for me to be baptized and were happy for me. Years later they also took full credit for my happiness in the Gospel, which I just sat back and smiled about !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, just beautiful, you did good my friend.... Love ya, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes my heart smile. Thank you for sharing.

    A post similar to yours on another blog last week sparked a comment frenzy from some not-so-nice commenters who could do nothing but bash the church. It made me sick how much hatred there is for the Mormons out there. I guess if someone wants to find something mean and derogitory (sp?) to say about anything they will find a way. On the other hand there were A LOT of very kind comments made by non-members as well.

    Your sharing of this story brightened my day, thank you. I hope some good things come out of this outpouring of love from the members in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story about second and even third chances....for your family. Yes, you were hurt and the church watched over you. that's what it does.

    You've blessed your family in supplying them the resources to find their way home. My grandmother, inactive from the day she met my grandfather began back to church only 1 year before she passed. What brought her back? My older brother and myself getting married at the temple. She was unable to go in, but on the grounds she began her repentance process to come back.

    Someday they'll truly understand why you beleive like you do. It may not be on this earth, but they will learn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I have goosebumps. I love how honest you are. I would've been angry too. I love that you did it anyway. And now look! I love being a Mormon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful.
    I hope those people in Texas know how they have touched so many.
    I hope you know how absolutely amazing you are.
    Thanks for sharing that tender story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story just brought tears to my eyes. I love when the members of our church make me proud. And it happens often.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found my spiritual thought for ward council. Thank you. Such a beautiful story of conversion, inactivity, forgiveness, sorrow, service and love. Please send it into the Ensign for all to hear and learn from. I'm a better person for reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad the Church was able to bring some peace during a difficult time for your family and that you were willing to give them the information. I'm glad they understand better why you've chosen the path you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, have always felt "at home" in whatever ward I've been in. Isn't it great?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can really empathize with you. But my mom didn't kick me out, she kept me home and just begrudged my happiness. She took help from the ward and said bad things about them after they were gone. She taught me so much through her bad example (sorry, but thats what it was!) on what NOT to do and say. The wonderful ladies and priesthood holders in the different wards kept me going and helped me see what kind of home and marriage I wanted for myself. What a great story!

    Mom in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay that brought tears to my eyes. On a Tuesday afternoon when I am preparing for Cubscouts, that is not easy to do. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I went to go to Denver for Noah's transplant the first thing I did was look up the local ward. The entire time I was there the one place I didn't feel homesick was in the chapel. Singing the same songs, saying the same prayers, and feeling the same spirit that I felt in my home ward.

    Thank you for sharing this. I am truly sorry you have been through such a difficult experience but I admire your continued faith.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our church and our members are amazing! They came through the same way for us when my mom passed. None of us was active, my dad isn't even Mormon and my mom was kind of semi-active, but they totally took care of us. They made a horrific time in our lives so much easier and we felt their love. My little ward here is so amazing as well. Twice in the last year and a half the brothers have given up a Saturday to move all our stuff. There is definitely something "different" about us Mormons...but it's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That reminds me of the quote from St. Francis of Assissi: "Preach the Gospel always and when necessary, use words."

    I'm glad God could use you as a simple instrument in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one has my crying. (In a good way.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know that saying: "the people aren't perfect, but the church is" ... well, there were a lot of perfect acts of kindness by those people, and those acts are not uncommon amongst our brothers and sisters. So yes, the church is perfect, but I also see lots of perfect things among the people that make up the church. So glad your family was blessed by these lovely people in TX!

    Makes me want to move down there even more!

    Oh, and I have no idea why I have a link created to this post - I don't know how that happens, but occasionally it does!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow. That was beautiful. I am so glad you have had this experience. Perhaps it can bring some healing to your heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Joy: I hope so too.
    @Jenny: The members in TX have done exactly as I knew they would...I am very grateful.
    @heather: it's cuz you're pg.
    @Amy: Ya think so? I hope so.
    @Moody: Well you've just written the end of the story, I hope.
    @Bev: you're welcomed.
    @Crysm: Thank you for sharing your experience too.
    @Linda: I hope the scouts didn't make fun of you!
    @Anon: Thanks for sharing your experience too. We learn so much from each other.
    @Nat: It IS great!!
    @Charlotte: That would be a really good ending to this.
    @Lisa: I can't think the Ensign would be interested in this, but thanks!
    @Sue, Egan, Nikki: I love the company I keep!
    @Tammy & Connie: Thanks for your very kind comments and sharing your own experiences.
    @Nonna: Can u imagine being without it?
    @Nan: You know I love you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have no words. What a wonderful example of Christ-like service-Texas must be wonderful-my inactive bro-in-law has been on drugs for nearly all of his 50 years and he recently called and asked my husband to re-baptize him next month. He is living in Waco, TX. Thank you to all the wonderful saints throughout the world who love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love Mormons! Thank you for your testimony and reminder of why I just love this gospel so much! Came by from MMB.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!!! I saw your post listed on MMB and I'm so glad I stopped by. That was beautiful. If it's ok, I may copy this and use it in a talk or with training some of our bishops. That was really lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this it is going to take something serious like this for my mother- and father-in-law to come back to the church.

    Thanks for this beautiful rendition of the goodness of "our" people.

    It's a good family to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. @MomBabe: Yeah, it really was.
    @Pippi: I think the lesson here, for me anyways, is that we just never know what can happen and to not lose hope. In that vein, I hope your family members do not have to suffer a loss to find the Saviour.
    @Nature Girl: I had to...it's too wild not to share!
    @Braden: Yeah? Sure, go ahead and share what you think is worth sharing. I don't mind.
    KCMOM: Thanks for stopping by!
    @Marilyn: it is the members who make this Gospel so beautiful and living, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that is amazing. Thank goodness for the gospel.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!