Monday, June 7, 2010

Let's Zumba People!

So the whole familia went to the YMCA tonight--
the youngest yahoos hit the pool
Mr Wonderful did his 5000+ steps on the eliptical,
while Dani, Nana, Daisie and I
went to the Zumba class.

Thankfully,
the Instructor was Wendy--
she's the instructor that's usually there.
I like her.
She's normal.

When we pulled up to the YMCA,
we parked a few spots over from her--
I meant to say "hi" or wave or something,
but by the time we all got out of the car,
she was gone.
So as the class assembles
and she is ready to start
she asks if there are any
"first timers"??
Daisie and Nana raised their hands.

Wendy smiled
at us all,
and said into her headset microphone--
"Did you guys drive here in a big Suburban?"
We answer "yes"--
then she addresses the rest of the class:
"Ya ever see a clown car?--where there's a never ending
number of people pouring out of it?? THAT'S what their Suburban 
looked like!" And she laughed.
 I hollered back,
"I have seven kids --they're not even all here--and one grandchild!"
She replied,
"It was overwhelming to watch them!"
To which I responded,
"I feel like that everyday!"

Great way to start a class,
if you ask me!

Wendy is a good instructor--
she takes a minute and demonstrates the steps
and always makes sure to give us dance cues
as we go along.
The best part for me,
was having my girls in the class too!
We laughed at each other
at ourselves
and just had a great time!

Daisie got a cramp in her foot,
so she did at least half of the class in her socks,
and she rocked out with Mick Jagger lips!

Diana pulled a rib head out midway thru--
she's had a problem with that since her car accident,
but she finished anyway--
and said it was so fun she's looking forward to the next class.
Dani is finding her pre-pregnancy mojo again
and it love love lovin' it.
And me?
I was movin' my bahooey and rollin' my hips
and shakin' what my mama gave me...
and occassionally laughing outloud at my girlies.

When I got home,
I checked my Body Bugg:
Calories Burned Today: 2938
Steps taken in Zumba class: 6,194  not even kidding.

Do I like the Body Bugg?
Nope.
I love it.

10 comments:

  1. Maybe I should get one of those Body Buggs. It would be cool to know how much moving I'm actually doing.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy sounds like what we here would call a dag ;-)

    So do you, lol!

    It's a compliment, really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun good times. The DIL and freinds went to Zumba last night. You make me want to join them. Never heard of the body bugg. I thought that was lice :)
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making me miss Zumba so much!! And making me think about joining my YMCA. And making me want a Body Bugg- you are the second woman that I know and respect who has one and loves it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to try Zumba.
    I've looked at the body bugg before, but now you are making me want one.

    Sounds like you are having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tauna: Do it!!!
    @Liz: Do it!! I love it so much!
    @gig: I've been known to call my Body Bugg a "bug bite"...join Zumba, you will have so much fun!!
    @sarah: I looked it up!! and THANK YOU!
    @Sue: it gives you a clear picture of what you're really doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only Zumba's once but I love it - I'll have to go back. That's a lot of steps! Bravo!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about Zumba since you started writing about it. My counselor in the RS goes all the time~she's a native Latin so I'm a little intimidated. Although last night we did our own version of Zumba practicing a dance number for our upcoming branch party! I'm sore all over today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to look into one of those Body Bugs. My sister's neighbor always called us the clown car, too. And now I think about it every time we all pile out of the Suburban. It really is a site to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a blast! How fun to do that with your girls.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!