Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Oh, What do you DO in the Summertime?

Over the weekend,
we hiked the Crags...
which is an awesome trail
on the West side of Pikes Peak.
We got alot of sun on the hike,
but noone burned because we
slathered on the sunblock.
I have pics to post of it,
but not right now
cuz I'm too lazy to go find the camera
in one of the backpacks...

but that's another story.

On Monday,
I headed up to Park Meadows Mall
in south Denver
to meet up with a blog friend,
Marilyn who was up here
from her hometown in Arizona.
While I was at the mall,
I dropped my yahoos off
at a friends' house up there
so they could go swimming and
hang out.
They were told to put on
sunblock--
which they swear they did
BEFORE
swimming for four hours.
Four
hours 
of swimming.
Yeah,
when I picked them up,
their faces were already sunburned
and bright red as strawberries
and they were complaining.

It's now two days later
and
they're still in pain.
We put them in cool showers
and
cool tubs of water
to help heal their skin.
We've aloe-vera'd
lidacained
solarcained
and
ice-cubed.

Their skin is red hot like chili peppers
and these yahoos are feelin' miserable,
and miserable yahoos
are
no
stinkin'
fun--

this morning I went to get my haircut
and my cell phone rings--
it's the Caboose on the other end
and she is
Up.
Set.
"Mommy, Joseph's crying. He hit my sunburn,
so I hit his sunburn and now he's crying."

I can hear his pain thru the phone.

"Did you love on him?"

"I said 'sorry' but he won't accept it! He won't accept it, Mom!
Will you talk to him?" she asked.

"Sure, put him on."
A second or two passes and she's back on the phone:
"He won't talk."

I can hear his sobs of pain and a twinge grabs my stomach
in sympathy.
"Okay, I'm almost done. Give him a drink of water and love on him
till I get home, k?"

She replies sadly, "Okay."

I close my phone and think about what just happened:

I'm gone for,
let's see...thirty minutes and
my youngest two yahoos are slapping
each other's sunburned bodies,
like they were raised
by the Three Stooges!

"What am I doing wrong?", I wonder.
And once I'm past the shock,
I smile at it all...
My kids are home slappin' each others' sunburn!
Who does that???

By the time I get back home,
I walk in and the two of them
are sitting silently on the sofa
watching
i-Carly
as though absolutely
nothing happened.

I just love summer.

16 comments:

  1. Summer is also my favourite months. We're in winter at the moment and I couldn't be more miserable. Our pool is crystal clear and just waiting for the summer to come so that we can dip in and splash around.

    Oh I miss summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Colorado all last weekend (class reunions should be banned by the self esteem committee) and it was Hot and Muggy... I'm afraid I would have been a crispy critter too if my parents had a pool... instead I just sat in their pathetically cooled home and wished for my Southern Utah dry heat and my good A/C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some Lavender Oil which is supposed to be awesome for burns, want me to bring it by today?? I'll be out and about anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch!! On the sunburns!!!
    And as painful as it all sounds I had to laugh about the kids..
    Mine pull the same kind of stuff and sometimes it is just so funny!
    You are so right...Who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are having a FABULOUS summer. What is summer without a good old sunburn?
    Try some Dermaplast...........works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Say yes to the Lavender Oil from Heather, wonderful stuff. Ouch! Every stinkin summer we did this to ourselves. And every stinkin summer their was a sunburn slapping crisis. Ha!

    Thanks for the memory and the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! A little bit of everything. And a lot of memories for me.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Three Stooges! That says it all!

    First the sunburn, the pain, the slapping, then the dry, peeled skin all over the house. I LOVE summers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some lobster kids myself after several hours at the beach. They totally hit their siblings sunburns for fun.

    And I just love the tattle tale calls when I'm out running errands. Cell phones mean I don't get alone time even when alone, but otherwise I wouldn't be able to leave the house at all, as they always need a ref for something or other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the kids in my Summer school class was so sunburned today he was crying. I felt so bad for him!

    Looks like they worked things out. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Summers may be one of the most enlightened accomplishments of western civilization!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Braden: Thanks. I agree with you today, talk to me around mid-August though. By then, I'm ready to sell the yahoos to the circus.
    @Kazzy: Oh we've had tears this week over sunburn...it's been better today tho. The peeling process has begun.
    @Charlotte: lol "they totally hit their siblings for fun"--cracks me up! There has been no more hitting since Wednesday. I think they learned their lessons.
    @Connie: Oh I see you've got your own Stooges at your house by the depth of your understanding! Cheers!
    @Sue: I hope those memories are not ones that cause wincing/weeping. ;-)
    @BoyMom: Thx for stopping by...I visited your blog and will def. be back!
    @Tauna: We did try the dermaplast...the can is now empty--thanks!
    @Cherie: Exactly! WHo does that?? Apparently my stooge-raised children.
    @heather: You're a sweetheart! Thanks for the offer!
    @T: It was a bit warmer than normal last week--enough to make me wish we had a/c. Next summer!
    @DaftScot: Just how cold is it in South Africa during the winter months??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor little things! I remember my younger sister and I used to have sunburn slap fests. She would always start it (for the record).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from MMB today...
    Loved your song, I haven't heard it in awhile.
    Not laughing at your kids' pain but it made me smile to think I could just see my own kids torturing each other's sunburn. Welcome summer right?
    Have you found a way to keep them from peeling?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know what's worse--having a bad sunburn yourself or having to watch your kids deal with bad sunburns. I hate watching my kids suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least you came home and they were slap happy and worked it out! But Ouch, bad sunburns are no fun. I heard vinegar helps...

    Stopping by from MMB

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!