Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to Help a Shy Child

    Accept and respect the fact that your child is shy and 
      that it’s not necessarily a bad thing.





•    Support and discuss their shyness with them.

•    Offer encouragement to try new things and participate in social activity.





• Rehearse situations and responses that your child can use for particular                          events.



    Compliment them when they do well in social situations.



•    Help them to make friends by inviting another child over to play.



•    Talk to your child’s teachers to see if they can help at school.



•    Let them know that they are not alone in being shy.



•    Be open to input from others that spend time around your child.



•    Avoid labeling or calling them shy to other people.


* Set the example for them.  
* Make friends, talk to the store clerks and bank tellers casually.
* Have an active social life.
* Teach them how to answer the phone.
* Encourage their friendships with birthday parties, or just inviting their friends to the park, or a walk around the block, playing games, etc.

10 comments:

  1. this is lovely! and the photographs are so wonderful! I get such a sense of your family being full of life and laughter and love. I always end up smiling when I come to visit you here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think there's a lot a mom or dad can do to help a child learn to make friends and be social with less discomfort.

    Good suggestions!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute post. I love the zany picture with the zany Momzas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. {giggle} And my Elder L will be SO excited to get a letter. I got a call from a member who saw him in Sitka while traveling on a cruise. He said, "my message from your elder is that he wants his sister to tell her friends to write!" I don't know how long it takes to get a letter~maybe 3-4 days???

    ReplyDelete
  5. The child in the pictures does not look that shy! Must be the results of great mothering :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these pictures are FUN!! Just adorable! Thanks so much for sharing them!!

    Just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting and following my blog. I really, really appreciate it!! I'm so glad you did, it brought me here to this delightful site!! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had some great suggestions for a Momza that doesn't appear to have had any children with this particular malady. Great suggestions.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute pictures!! And great suggestions. I really like your suggestion to not label your child as shy--especially when talking with other people. I know several shy kids who find being shy so very painful. Having a parent be proactive in helping the child to overcome it is so much more productive than just lecturing the poor kid about the need to be more social--which just makes things worse--from my observations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! None of my kids are shy. They have their moments. But these are good tips for when their shy-er friends visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Amy: Thanks for stopping by!
    @Lori: Lectures are for colleges...and some teenagers.lol.
    @RBS: You'll be surprised to know that I do indeed have shy children...not all, but some, and Ari is in that category, tho she is getting more comfortable.
    @Naked Man: Thanks for coming by...I'm following you now!
    @Cherie: Why thank you...I am a work in progress as much as my youngun!
    @Marilyn: That's what I told her, A letter is a wonderful thing for a missionary!
    @Tauna: The yahoos get it honest, they do.
    @Sue: My ever-ready cheerleader...thank you!
    @sarah: thanks for coming by and smiling with me!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!