Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chickens and Children

"Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens"



I grew up with hen houses--
where you open the coop in the morning, 
and the chickens come running at you,
cuz' hey! they know you've breakfast--
you've gotta move fast,
so you toss a handful of grain in another direction
and watch them all 
run for it,
which gives you a moment to fill-up
the feed tray with grain
and check the water trough,
then run behind the hen houses
to get the eggs.
We had a mean rotten rooster--
he'd come at you full-force,
full of spit and vinegar
and use his sharp pointy beak to peck
the back of your legs
your toes
and once he even jumped on the back of
my four year old brother, Khris
and pecked his head!
We heard him screaming,
my dad ran out to the chicken coop,
and yanked that bird off Khris
so hard
I thought we were having chicken for dinner that night.
Instead of killing the rooster,
my dad traded it for a different rooster
with a neighbor down the road.

We had been taught how to handle
chickens,
how to care for them,
raise them,
remove their eggs carefully,
and even how to pluck them.
We had rules on how to go in the coop--
carefully,
and shut it immediately
so none of the chickens got out,
and the dog couldn't get in!
We loved the little fluffy chicks,
and were taught how to handle them too.
altho' this one time
we tied yarn around their little necks
and try to "walk" them around the hen yard.
That had to stop when my brother yanked too hard
on a little chicks neck--
and well,
the fun was over pretty quick.

I didn't know it then,
but raising kids is alot like
raising chickens.

We have rules in our house.
Not a ton, mind you
but enough that I can keep my sanity
the kids can learn what they need to learn
to grow up and move on
when they're of age
and I don't have to worry about
visiting them in a
penitentiary someday.

The obvious rules for civility:
No hitting.
No spitting.
No shoes on the sofa.
No acting like a crazy maniac in the house,
or for that matter,
anywhere else.
No throwing balls/frisbees/toys/people/anything to anyone in the house.

There are also those rules that are set
to teach respect for others--
*Wait your turn--to speak, to use the loo, to use community property, etc.
*Don't take things that are not yours.
*Knock before opening a bedroom door.
*Ask before taking more than your share of treats or
 whatever else is considered community property.

Then there are rules that are set for learning Self-Mastery:
*Do your homework.
*Keep up with your room and your daily chores.
*Go to bed on time and get up on time.
*Be moderate in your hobbies/interests.
*Watch your language and your tone.

And on and on.

It's important to have standards in our home,
otherwise it'd be what Jeff Foxworthy calls,
"PANDEMONIUM!"

So when I say,
raising kids is like being pecked to death by chickens--
I know whereof I speak...
chicken coops can be chaotic
if you don't know what you're doing--
but they can be really fun
when you do.

14 comments:

  1. Amen sista! Amen.

    Ya, motherhood............it's a rollercoaster ride for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just haven't mastered getting the kids/chickens to remember the rules at vital moments... maybe someday when they're all grown?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this, Momza! I like the way you rule you roost with a firm but tender hand.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky you were to have that kind of work ethic in your family and the chicken tending...I always thought I'd like to have chickens myself ( but like how Martha Stewart does it LOL ) .Never thought about how that might compare to raising kids but so true ! It's a wonder I don't have peck mark scars from head to toe after raising my brood of 5 !!!
    Have a wonderful 4 th of July Momza !
    Hugs,
    Nonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it, grandpa next door had chickens and my girls (well one in particular) treated the chickens as pets and dressed them up, I'm sending her your blog today. love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. "chicken coops can be chaotic
    if you don't know what you're doing--
    but they can be really fun
    when you do."

    Beautifully put!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you were lucky to be raised with chickens ... and to be raising so many children! it all sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @sarah: I think each of us, all of God's children, have been blessed to have a kaleidoscope of experiences that when put into perspective can be seen as blessings if we choose to see them in that light. yes?
    @Braden: it's true, right? thanks for stopping by.
    @Lisalulu: glad to bring a smile!
    @Nonna: I hear ya! I should be covered too!
    @Sue: I'm a work in progress as always.
    @T: Perspective is worth gold!
    @Tauna: It ain't boring, that's fer sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. there's so much to learn in everything we do. I love that. I want a chicken coop too...for the life lessons and the eggs. No roosters though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely know whereof you speak! Great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    Stopped by and joined your blog. I also grabbed your button and will place it on my Favorite Blogs page.

    Deanna
    Write Moms

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a little plaque with that saying in my home from the time my kids were little. I put is away a few years ago.
    I agree with it all. I remember sometimes people coming to my home and reading that little plaque and thinking..."really?" but then I would explain and they would agree!
    It's definately a process. I love those chickens!! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Cherie: I have the saying on a plaque too! No wonder we're friends! GMTA!
    @Deanna: Hi there! thanks for stopping by! love your site!
    @Kazzy:Danka!
    @Moody: Well if you want eggs, ya gots to have a rooster, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I personally know very little of chicken and chicken coops (except once upon a time I did get to gather the eggs for my aunt - it was a delightful experience filled with wonder, I always wanted to go back and do it again but never had the opportunity). But I know know how much fun kids are (if you know what you're doing, and why!)

    Thanks for sharing. Always delightful to come hang out here for a bit.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!