Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Three Weeks Until School Starts!

Kids start school in three weeks.
I don't know if I wanna 
run down the street screaming for 
"JOY!"
or
Call a Time-Out
because I'm not ready for them 
to leave all day again.
I like having them home--
even when they're naughty,
I like their brown-berry skin
from running around all day 
in the sunshine--
bouncing on the trampoline,
riding their bikes,
running down to the little pond.
I love hearing laughter
echoing from their bedrooms,
full of friends
playing games
eating peanut-butter-jelly-samiches.

I like our lazy mornings
and late nights.

Boofus asked if I'd homeschool him 
this year
because he doesn't wanna be a 
fifth grader...
I just smiled.
Nope.
He winces when we talk about School--
he's not ready to give up his flip-flop summer yet,
for homework and shoes.

So three weeks to go
and we're trying to cram as much
into 'em as we can--
camping and hiking,
Elitches and WaterWorld.
Three weeks away
will be here before 
we know it.



7 comments:

  1. I always had mixed feelings about summer ending, too. Mostly, though, I was happy to see them go back by the time September rolled around. Of course, now most kids start in August.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys have so much fun - I can only imagine how quiet your house must seem during school days. Hmmm, have you ever thought of homeschooling? ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh shoot, you've made me miss Colorado again!!!

    but going back to school is NOT what I'm looking forward to this year... because this year it means Mom's going back to work... bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @T: where did you live in CO?
    @sarah: I thought about homeschooling...and let that thought sneak right past me.
    @Sue: I know that by the last week of summer break, I'm usually ready to send them off to school to reclaim my sanity, but this year feels different. I'm not ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest will be in 6th... and waiting three weeks is too long for her!!

    I'm excited, because really, I'm tired of having to settle all the FIGHTS... but I do like that they get to PLAY A LOT!!! Because when school starts, they don't get as much play time, so we will miss that. But with school starting comes the school bedtime... which I will like(if only I can get them to cooperate).

    But I have a Kinder as well... so I might want to say Timeout!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm really not looking forward to school starting again...yet I am just a bit. Three weeks?!?!? Ours is about 4 1/2 weeks away...ugh.

    P.S.-sorry I've been absent in the comments lately-just having a busy/lazy summer, and not checking blogs or writing posts much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No children returning to school - but still I can't bear it . . .

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!