Monday, August 2, 2010

My Home Is Not A Dump Station


I had a "light bulb moment" this week...
an epiphany,
if you will...
here it is:

Sometimes a home
is mistaken for a
dumpster:
instead of slimy banana peels, wadded up napkins,
used cans of corn and empty bread bags,
there is an attitude of
fussy
whiny
ingratitude.


The realization came when I noticed
la familia
saving their "worldly trash"
for me and our home.

I became sensitive lately to it all...
my socially-polite family
goes out into the world,
functions at their best,
uses their best manners to deflect
awkwardness, rudeness, negativity
and that which isn't deflected
is brought into the front door,
dumped out.
And then--
BAM!
before I know it,
I am covered in the smudge of their lives
outside of my house.

I work hard to make my home
a place
I want to be
and
a place my family wants to be too--
and I realized I don't like it
when my family comes in and
wrecks up the peace!

So, at dinnertime last night,
I spoke to them all about their
dumping habits
and I declared that my home
is
not a Dump Station!
Truly,
I told the family how their dumping affects me
and while I am fine to listen to their trials and challenges,
as in, "I had a crummy day because....",
it is when they come home
snippy
fussy
whiny
that it's not fair to expect me to have to listen to it
and then smile back at them!
If we want our home to be a haven,
it's up to us to create it!
Hear! Hear!
"he that hath ears to hear,
let him hear!"
And you know what?
I think they listened.
Mr. Wonderful agreed that it's hard to go out into the world,
and not bring that negativity back through the front door,
but it's also true
we just don't need that stuff in here.
I'm trying to think of some visual reminder
I can put outside for the yahoos
by the front door
that will help them
leave the
"trash"
outside.
A trash can would look awful,
so I'm thinking
with my thinker
so we'll see.
Any ideas?? Hmmm??

13 comments:

  1. Momza..
    I once had an old email about the trouble tree..
    each night when dad would come home from a hard day at work, he would stop outside the door and hang his troubles on the tree. When he entered his home, he was greeted with loving , happy faces of his family..he smiled easily and relaxed in the family joy of sharing the blessings that had occurred in everyones life that day..with the troubles waiting outside.
    miraculously, in the morning after kissing the family goodbye and setting off for work, stopped to retrieve the troubles..he discovered them to be gone..
    Perhaps a small tree or bush could be designated the " Trouble Tree" for dumping?
    and there is absolutely no reason for outside trash from cars to be brought indoors.. the trash can awaits that stuff!!
    love your posts!!
    warm sandy hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a story from a long time ago about a man who went through a little pantomime on his front porch every night. His neighbor noticed, and finally asked what he was up to. He said, "I'm taking off the all of the negativity I picked up during the day, and leaving it here on this coat rack."

    There was, of course, no coat rack. But he was nonetheless pantomiming the removal of a coat, hat, and boots, and leaving them on the "rack".

    I doubt the story is true, but there's my suggestion: A decorative coat rack, right outside the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a great point! I don't think I've ever quite thought of it like that. I'm glad you posted that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a friend of mine has a beautifully decorated mailbox outside her front door... handy for those of us who drop by unannounced to find the house empty - but perhaps also a good receptable for the unwanted worldy refuse as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a plaque, hanging above a lovely pewter or pottery dish in your entryway?

    Drop your problems at the door
    Find the peace you're looking for
    Go back out and live some more
    Come back home for an encore

    Or you could just use the first two lines if you wanted to keep it brief.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Everyone: Thanks for the great ideas! love them all! And the stories are so inspiring too! thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Denae's idea. I know my husband has to make an effort to leave work at work.. Sometimes I see him sitting in his truck for a few minutes before he comes inside. I know he's just trying to clear his head. (Or maybe he's just trying to enjoy a few minutes of quiet?) He he. I imagine this will become more of a problem as my kids get older. I do know that sometimes it seems like my kids save their very worst behavior for me... last week Lucy stayed with my Mom and was sunshine and light for the entire day. The SECOND I walked in the door, she turned into a whiny heap of awfulness. So happy that she saved it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely idea and I really enjoyed all the suggestions in the comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always come to your blog and think, "Yes! She's right!" You've done it again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving all the suggestions. Wow! It's true that we all need to unload sometimes, but if it just becomes a constant whine-fest then what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent thoughts.
    Pretty right on.
    I love the coat rack idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read all the comments. What fun!! Everyone had such good ideas. I think the idea of a visual outside the door is wonderful. And I loved Sue's poem. I have a friend who has a very cute old fashioned milk can outside her door with a welcome sign in it. I am partial to country things, so I love that and when I got to her house I always feel welcomed.

    I don't really have a problem with family dumping on me though. My husband can never tell me anything (confidence issues), and my daughters are all closed mouthed. I have to work hard to pull things out of them. I am thinking you must have more open children, or just seem like a better listener.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Lori: I think I may have a solution! Thanks for coming by! Hope you're having a great day.
    @Tauna: Me too!
    @Moody:Exactly!
    @Amy: We are a work in progress, right?
    @sarah: I love the ideas too!
    @MommyJ: This is exactly what I'm talking about!
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!