Sunday, October 17, 2010

I'm Really A SAHM at Heart

I started working full-time
six weeks ago.
Since then, I've learned alot of things--
first off,
working full-time really cuts into my LIFE.

I miss being home when the yahoos get home.
I miss lazy mornings of puttering around the house,
running errands
going grocery shopping before 8pm
Knowing exactly what the yahoos are doing in school.
I miss being the SAHM where the neighborhood yahoos
come to play.
Staying up later than 9pm.

I bought a pair of those Skecher shoes
with the uneven soles--
so my dogs wouldn't ache so much
from being on them at work.
One hundred dollars on shoes
that
are
not
cute.
There's something wrong in the Universe
when a woman spends that much money
on a pair of
un-cute shoes.
Even if I did have a coupon.

I haven't cooked a family favorite meal
in weeks.

Not good.
So totally not good.

I work with a great friend.
And someone who is not a great friend.
That stinks on ice.

I like a professional environment.
I am not a good audience for drama queens.
I've got teenagers if I want drama, right?

And mi familia has noticed my
absence.
And they are cranky about it.
As much as I might enjoy where I'm spending
my time--
it is no substitute for my love of home and family.


Every day I look on Realtor.com--
why?
Because that's the whole reason I'm working--
to buy a house next summer.
Looking at homes online
motivates me
reminds me
to look past the stuff I don't like
about working out of the home.

That in the longrun,
this will be a blessing for me and my family.

This week,
I am going to make a family favorite meal.
I am going to leave work on time.
I am going to sit with my kids and listen to them read.
I am going to go to the Church for
mutual
and
scouts
and
activity days.
I am going to make time to putter.
I am going to sit and be still and listen
to my own heart.

13 comments:

  1. so does that mean you have a week off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momza I hear you. I've full-time now for about 8 weeks. I hate how it cuts into my life and I'm tired all the time. So many days I think "Whah I just want to be home with my kids." Just have to get my man through school. One and a half semesters left.
    House hunting can be fun, except when you can't find what you're looking for and it takes forever and you get jerked around. Then not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Print a pic of your dream house and put it somewhere in your car--good luck. I can't imagine how working moms get everything done every day. I can't, and I'm here all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm almost working full time myself, for the first time in my life. You're right, it does cut into your life. But I'm not going to complain, for once! I feel so grateful that I can work in a medium I love--teaching music to children. My husband is on disability and has to retire early. So my life has changed a bit. I would love to have you visit my blog at http://musicfortots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still a SAHM too. I would rather be home than anywhere else in the universe, but the fam needs an extra income right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great timing. I'm contemplating a move to full-time myself. What scares me is many of the things that you've talked about it here. But I have a purpose, too. I'll keep that in mind if I get the opportunity to go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you are so good at being a stay at home mom... I hope life settles into a comfortable routine soon. And dude... I feel you on the shoes. Total bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been a SAHM- except for the wonderful 12 weeks of maternity leave I had with each of my babies. I think you have a unique position here that you are sharing and I appreciate that. Sometimes, I fight a little bit of guilt in my working. Sometimes, I question if working full time is really what is best for our family. Then I think about our education choices, our plans for our kids to go to college, our financial security (or lack thereof), our joint intentions and goals for our family and realize that things like moeny, insurance, vacation time and so on are important and that it is ok for those things to be important. Having a goal and purpose to working makes the job fulfilling- even if the work itself isn't (that's my situation- the work I do each day means little to me but working where I work at the level I work at does mean a lot to me in terms of fulfillment).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn, praying your week unfolds just as you planned.

    Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. When my youngest left for high school, I took a job and worked seven years. (I quit three years ago.)

    There were a lot of good thing about the job. I worked with some fun women in a great environment and made good money doing it. But boy, did I miss the morning puttering.

    Have a wonderful, wonderful week. Enjoy it!

    And good luck with the house...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean! I'm so thankful for my job that is the same hours as my girl's school hours. I still miss going to their awards assemblies and doing stuff in their classes. There's always something we miss out on when work is involved. And I have a pair of those shoes too. Their comfy, but look like boats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought those sketchers, too. While renting this place that drives me a little nuts I would spend a lot of time on Realtor.com, too, so I could remember that one day I would have my own place again. I agree, very inspirational to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After being a SAHM for 25 years I went back to work last year part-time. I really am enjoying the work environment but there are definately things I miss about being home in the mornings. I think it would be hard to do it full-time but I can understand your goal and it is a good one!!
    You are also lucky to have a f/t job that is really interesting.
    As for the shoes I keep looking at those and cannot get myself to spend the money - everyone says they are great though!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!