Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Evolution: It's Something to Believe In



ev-o-lu-tion. n.
A gradual process in which something changes
into a different and usually more
complex or better form.

I love the word evolution.

To evolve, to change gradually, to become.

That is so Me.

At this age, how pathetic would it be,
if I still thought and acted like a twenty-year old?

At twenty-one I was a new young mother
who didn't know a dang thing.

But I was an eager student
to learn how to become better.

Reading books,
listening to good women and men's counsel,
seeking
always seeking out the good stuff
has helped me
"evolve".

We're all evolving
on some level.
Some of us take longer to learn 
the lessons of life
than others.

Common sense is not so common.

Sometimes it seems that
the World of Logic
is next to
Fantasyland.

In my fiftieth year,
just when I'm comfortable
with what I've learned,
my brain lets go of things
randomly, without warning.

Even in this process,
I am evolving my attitude
that says
"I must control everything"
with the realization
that it's not necessary.

I've made my best efforts in some areas,
most of these years,
but not always.
I can still do better.
Be better.

That's very encouraging thinking 
for my heart--
to know I've still got time to love more,
love deeper,
love for the sake of love.

There's yet more to learn
to explore and experience.
And heck no,
I'm not going to be perfect at it
the first go-'round.

But I can get better.

Having realistic expectations for myself,
gives me opportunities to teach my children
that they too
are evolving human beings,
and some days are gonna be wrecked-up messes--
regret, remorse, repentance
will all be part of their 
Journey.

So is forgiveness and love of self.
Appreciation 
for another sunrise
to try again
is seen as the true gift it is
in the light of day.

Whilst In the midst of trials,
all is not lost.

All is measured and weighed,
added to the sum total
of the equation
of evolution.

When our understanding matches our actions
then we can measure more fairly.

When we know better
we do better.

Doesn't it all make sense this way?

That's the legacy I want to leave behind
for my posterity.

That Life is for Learning:

"Do your part"--something we say to our children each day; 
and something I am certain they are sick of hearing, 
but also something I am certain 
they will say to their own as well.

"Learn what you need to learn,
and get on with it."

"This is the day that the Lord hath made,
let us rejoice 
and be glad in it."


Trials are part of this great journey...
but like a gray cloud--
as dark and fierce as it may be--
thankfully,they too pass.

There's yet much joy to be found
no matter what our circumstances may be.

We just have to look for it,
or 
create it if necessary.

Don't let the ghostly weight of past flubs
tether themselves
to the dreams of today.

Forgiveness of self is part of evolution.
Make things right
and then move forward 
with confidence.

You and me?
We have a work to do in our own little part of the vineyard.

I used to kneel and dig the earth
then I planted the seeds,
tended the little sprouts as they shot up to the sky,
watered and fed them most days--
and here I am,
standing 
in the glorious vineyard 
that is mine 
to enjoy 
in the rays of the sun,
shadow of the moon,
cloudy and rainy days,
snow-covered nights,
and every day that I cast my eyes heavenward.

Evolution.
I bet you thought I was writing about Apes, hunh?
Nope. 
.

9 comments:

  1. You are the evolution teaacher! I want to be you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wise words today like always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, dawn. And the pictures are wonderful, too!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very poetic.
    very thought provoking.
    very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely said. I have found that I love the evolution of myself even if it does involve growing older - it is just better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you. I like myself better as I have evolved and learned a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was pretty sure you weren't writing about apes. :-) I love this post. I agree--I have finally reached a point where I no longer fight aging. I embrace it--since with it comes growth and wisdom.

    Oh, and I am positive your kids will quote you when they are older. Mine all think it is funny how often they find themselves quoting either my husband or myself. (Probably my husband more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love this grape cluster photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just followed you. I am trying to figure this thing out. Why is it important to follow and be followed? I used blog reader to keep track of what to read. What does following do? What am I missing here?

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!