Friday, April 1, 2011

The rest of the story

First, I'm not certain what happened,
but I'm pretty sure I did not have a heart attack.
Altho' I had, what the docs and nurses are calling,
"classic symptoms of a heart attack in women."

Details:
Monday night,
as I was going to sleep,
I turned to my Mr. W and said,
"I'm not doing so well."
He asked if he could do anything,
and I just said 'no'.
I was really tired,
but I couldn't sleep--
my arm was hurting,
so I got up and stayed up
until around 1am.
Tuesday:
Worked all day at the showroom,
then went to a friend's house (hi Wendy!)
to give her some home staging tips,
as their family is preparing to move.
THEN,
took all the yahoos to Church
for mid-week activities.
Mr. W and I were sitting in the lobby
chatting about our day,
when there began shooting pains
up and down my left arm.
I tried rubbing my arm,
and even commented to Mr W that
my arm really hurt and I had no idea why.
Just at that exact moment,
we overheard the Scout leader in the other room
tell his scouts
"pain down the left arm is a common symptom of a heart attack."

Now, I'm thinkin' no way this is a heart attack,
because I'm not feeling like it is--
I'm not anxious,
my chest is not pounding,
I'm not sweating like a stuck pig in Mississippi in July--
I'm just sitting
and my arm is killing me.

I overheard the Scout leader tell his audience
that the first aid thing to do is take an aspirin.
Mr W and I look at each other,
and since there's a Walgreens literally across the street,
he goes over and buys some aspirin.
Just in case.

The hour passes,
the pain stays the same,
only it travelled up to my neck and jaw.
Still,
I'm able to talk and walk around,
so I'm not too concerned.
After classes are all over
and we're leaving,
I caught the Scout leader
and told him what's going on
and ask him what are the other symptoms of
a heart attack.
He looks at me very seriously and tells me to go to the ER.

I'm still thinking I'll just go home and take an ALEVE
and go to bed.
We pack up the yahoos into the car
and just before we get home,
my arm is hurting so much,
I can't ignore it,
and can't talk or think over it.

So we dropped the yahoos off at home,
and headed over to the ER.

Did you know that when you present at the ER desk
with the words:
"I have shooting pains down my left arm,
and into my neck and jaw."--
that they whisk you right into the triage
and you are inducted right then into the
"hospital army of patients".
No kidding.
There's no turning back.
The powers that BE
sorta own you for the next few hours of your life.

EKG, Catscan, Chest x-ray, blood work.
I was really wishing for an ALEVE and a nap.
At 10 pm I looked at the clock and thought,
"Darn, I missed NCIS."

Morphine.

Morphine is crazy stuff.

I was a morphine virgin...
I told the nurse that I'm super-sensitive to drugs.
But she didn't really understand how sensitive--
and to her credit,
how could she, right?
When she told me the doc had prescribed 4-8 units,
I suggested two. or less.
She said we'd try two.

An hour and a half later,
I was told to never never never
allow that to be given to me
ever ever ever
again.
I was given just 1/4 of one unit
and I was rendered completely incapacitated--
but I could still hear the people in the room.
Weird.
Couldn't talk,
or move
or open my eyes,
but I could hear people
saying,
"Are you still with us?"
"Dawn! Don't you leave!"
And in my head I was thinking,
"I hear ya knockin' but you can't come in..."
Totally weird.
You know how they say comatose patients can possibly hear,
I totally get it now.

Anywho, after all the tests were done,
turns out my heart is fine.
I still have to see a Cardiologist,
and have to slow down (yeah right),
but we don't know what caused my body
to express those symptoms.
I do get to take a baby aspirin every day.
There's a plus.
I like the orange-flavored kind.
But Mr W bought the kind you swallow,
300-count,
so NEXT year,
I'm buying them my self.


The fall-out at home was interesting.
While we were very calm about going to the ER,
the Boofus was not calm at all.
He called Nana in Provo--
though his details were sketchy:
"Dad took Mom to the ER."
Nana: "Why? What's wrong?"
Boofus: "I don't know."
Nana: "Let me speak to Daisie."
Daisie: "Yeah? Oh yeah, nuthin'. Her arm hurt. She's fine."
Nana: "Let me speak to Bee."
Bee: "Mom had pain shooting up her left arm. Brother S. told her she could be having a heart-attack and to go to the ER to check it out."

In the words of the oldest girls, our ten year old is smarter than the rest of 'em.
I've been saying that a long time.

Anyway,
we got a ration of cr*p the next day,
when the oldest kids heard what had happened
and had gotten no phone calls:

Dani: "I can't believe I had to find out Mom was in the Er with a possible heart attack on FACEBOOK!
What's wrong with you people? I'm an hour away!Why would the kids call Nana--she's 8 hours away!"
--and other ramblings of her concerns about communication.

The truth is, we didn't know what was going on so there was nothing to tell.

I did get a blessing from Mr W and our Home Teacher while in the ER, and I was good.
Maybe that's what kept me from going towards the light
when I had too much morphine? who knows.

Wednesday was a blur.

I stayed in bed all day long.
I think I had a morphine hangover.

I went to work for a few hours yesterday.
And I was super tired last night.
I think it's due to all the hospital-induced adrenalin,
ya know?
That is one wild ride.

My visiting teachers brought over dinner last night,
for which I am so so so grateful.
And you know what else they brought me?
A beautiful hand-made quilt.
For me.
I bawled when I saw it the first time.
A loving gesture that I will not ever forget.

Thanks to everyone who expressed
concern and good thoughts.

Also,
if you ever have to go to the ER for say,
something like the flu
a sprained ankle
or the like,
here's a suggestion:
Present your self there and say,
"I feel lousy--my head is stuffy, my throat is on fire AND
I have shooting pains down my left arm
that's radiating up to my jaw."
They'll get you right in,
they won't even let you sit down
in the waiting room.
No kidding.
No really, I'm kidding.
Don't do that.
That would be wrong on so many levels.
But wow! if you do have those symptoms,
lemme tell you,
those ER people move their bahooeys
STAT!


Okay, so that's over with,
here's what's really important:
PUH- LEEZ don't forget to enter the giveaways
for the Josh Wright cd
or the Hilary Weeks' book and cd.
They are really wonderful!

18 comments:

  1. First of all, I am grateful that you are fine. That must have been the scariest ordeal ever, not only for you but for your family. I am praying that the cardioligist can find some answers for what happened. Heart problems are NOTHING to mess with.
    The whole morphine thing is unreal, I am so glad the nurse listened to you and didn't give you the full dose.
    Love you Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so scary! I am so glad you are OK. And I am afraid to take more than Excedrine, so that morphine experience sounds no beuno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my what a night ! Just reading about it stressed me out. My DR. told me a few months ago, "At your age, if you even suspect you might be having a heart attack or stroke, go to the ER !" I got stuck on the part "At your age..." but better safe than sorry !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that's so scary! I'm Glad you're better! Take care of yourself, Relax and Slow down will ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that everything is ok!

    You know what else gets you into the ER right away? "My baby is choking and can't breathe." No joke. Don't try that one at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a relief that all is well.

    That morphine is powerful stuff. They gave it to me when I had my kidney stone, and I felt paralyzed, too. I could actually still move, but it felt like I couldn't, and it totally freaked me out.

    It's no wonder you're tired. I think it takes quite awhile for that stuff to get out of your system.

    Hugs.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad to know you are ok, and got checked out and thanks for sharing your experience with humor, because im sure it was NOT humorous at the time!!!! so... please take it easy

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to know that you are doing well after your experience. Being wiped out after something like that is completely normal. I hope all is well and that you don't have symptoms like that again. I know that was so not fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really scary - I bet the kids were freakin!
    Glad you are OK but I hope you follow through with your doc and figure out what caused those pains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to remember those magic words to say in case I am ever faced with a long wait at the ER. LOL! So glad you're ok. Goodness! And the morphine thing...oh. my. gosh! Yeah, stay away from that stuff! Sensitive to drugs may be an understatement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness you are okay! The morphine experience sounds absolutely terrifying. (((Hugs)))

    I once had the symptoms you described, and was rushed off to hospital (... um, actually, my gp told me to catch a bus up to the hospital, where they rushed me in urgently and then phoned the gp to yell at him!) I knew I was okay, and all the tests proved it. What had happened was that I strained the muscles and nerves in my chest wall, and that can mimic the symptoms of a heart attack. I hope so much this was all that happened for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your tests came back negative. Too scary.

    I hope that it never happens again for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're okay. What a scary experience.
    Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, I am glad you are ok.

    You know, 6 years ago I had a day where I got nauseous and sweaty and had massive palpitations. I ran to the doc who did a stres test on me (electrodes hooked up as I ran on a treadmill). I flunked. So next day I got an angiogram and bloodwork and a cardiogram. Nothing. I had a high blood pressure attack. Now I am mess. But my docs also said women have false positives a lot when it comes to these things. He guessed we hold stress in a lot,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ackk! I hope you're okay. I know women present differently than men with heart attacks. I always freak out when I have a pain in my left arm.

    My poor kids are doomed to learn all news about me on facebook, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you are ok. I know from experience how scary that can be. I'm assuming the fact that they let you go home means your aardiac enzymes were ok. Don't delay in making that appt w/the cardiologist, mmm kay?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a scary experience!! So glad you are ok... but wish they had some answers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2 words 'nitric oxide' comes from l-arginine an amino acid. It keeps those veins and arteries open and flexible.

    So glad you are home and recovering.
    Man....what an experience.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!