Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thoughts on House-Hunting, Home Staging, Short Sales and Other Trials

I stepped inside the house
and could smell chocolate chip cookies.
Finally! I thought, this homeowner really wants to sell their house!

The main floor was clean and tidy.

I went downstairs to the basement--
to find

nothing
but

carpet tack boards sans carpet,
a drop-in ceiling with brown-ish water-stained  tiles,
holes in the drywall, exposed plumbing,
and a stinkin' mess everywhere.

Ugh.

This house is NOT ready to sell.
Cookies or no.

I'm even dreaming about house-hunting these days.
Where, O where is my perfect house??

Yesterday, another house.
I was crossing my fingers all the way there,
that my house-hunting would end!
It's exactly the area I want to live in,
and the price is right for the square footage.
But sheesh.
Another disappointment.
What is it with homeowners and their realtors
thinking they can sell a house
without lifting a finger to clean it up
and make it beautiful?

Truly, I started giggling when I drove up--
lawn art.
Everywhere.
Gnomes, squirrels, signs, toads, decorative flags,
fake flowers next to real ones--
all cluttering up the yard--
and the yard was a great yard!
It has tall pines and aspens
that frame it nicely--
but oh my hex,
the lawn art was distracting.
There was a fake arm hanging out of a window.
Not kidding.
My realtor, Cathy, just sighed and shook her head.
"What are they thinking?"

I couldn't help but think the neighbors are probably
crossing their fingers that this house sells quickly
and someone comes and cleans it up.

Inside the house was just as chaotic:
Did you know that "Victorian-Style" is a pseudonym
for "clutter"?
Lace and roses, lace and roses
everywhere.
And cherubs.
tea pots and tea cups.
doilies,
and the colors burgundy and evergreen,
with just a dash of ivory.
ugh. ugh. UGH!
And cats.
Tho' I didn't see a real live cat,
there were signs about cats,
food bags and cans for catfood,
climbing towers,
and pictures of cats.
Hand-written signs begging
"Don't let the cats out!"

Ugh.

I don't like Victorian stuff, can you tell?
Especially when it's done a la Walmart.


In fact, I don't like "themed houses" at all.
Put away your 65 roosters, your 600 porcelain dolls,
your African zebra/cheetah/giraffe/monkey collectibles,
your lacy doilies and animal trophies,
I don't wanna know that you {heart}green frogs or gargoyles.
Pack that stuff up and save it for your next home,
I beg of you.

And your collection of 347 clay pots
all over the yard and porch--
empty or full,
is toooooooo much!
Fill one or two, even three
with lush real plants,
or don't have them at all,
Please.
I can't see your house
past your stuff.

Berber carpet is a cruel joke
that the carpet industry played
on innocent homeowners in the 90's.
That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Alot--nearly 3/4's of the homes I've been looking at,
are "Short Sales or Pre-foreclosures".
Obviously, I'm looking for a deal in this economy, right?

A Short Sale means that this is the last-ditch effort to sell a home
and come out of it without complete financial devastation.
Why not put all you can into presenting it at it's best??
Yes, this is a difficult experience--
to have to sell under these conditions,
but if you wanna get every stinkin' dime outta the house
you possibly can,
take advantage of the opportunity and STEP UP!

Too many people are letting the situation beat them up
and define the moment.
Job loss, health issues, divorce--
that's typically what brings a home into a Short Sale.
However, trials pass oh yes they do!

Bring out your competitive spirit and get in the game!

Show your kids that you don't give in to tough times,
that you step up and give your best.
They're going to go thru trials in their lives,
guaranteed--
so show them how to deal.

I'm not kidding.
Stage your home.
It takes all I have to not stop being a "home buyer"
and ask if I can help and be a "home stager"
when I walk thru houses that so clearly need help.
Seriously, I would do it gladly.
But how do you do that without being asked and not sound like a
conceited jerk?

Anyway, to home sellers, I say:

Spruce up the house
 like you love it.
Your love for your home shows
in how you live in it.
Let the memories you've made within those walls,
motivate you to clean it up
and show it at it's *Best*!


I have two more homes to view tomorrow.
Two more possibilities
that my search will be over.
Cross your fingers
n' say a little prayer for me,
will ya?



On a totally different note, I have to share this blog I found:
Favorite Paint Colors
You will love it!
Promise Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Thought? Share It!