Sunday, May 1, 2011

Women of Character-- A Book Review


The best books in my personal library are non-fiction.

Those that I can relate to, 
while also being uplifted and inspired 
to be more
 and do more 
with the gifts and talents
however obvious or obscure
I have been blessed with.

In "Women of Character"
by Susan Easton Black and Mary Jane Woodger
I feel as though I have been at a delightful banquet
feasting upon the most delicious food for thought
as the two writers share
page after page
after page
the beautifully written biographies of 
women that span generations--
from pioneer days to these present days--
who they were,
how they lived,
and the noble legacies they left 
or are leaving behind.

My favorite?
That would be tough to choose,
for I feel a little akin to most of them 
in one way or another.
As though we have met before--
perhaps because I've met so many lovely, noble women
throughout my life,
women who have blessed my life in meaningful ways--
it is easy to feel akin to the chosen subjects of this book.
As my friend Nan says,
she could easily name 100 women she knows personally
and write a similar book.

I will say, I was so delighted to read more about
Zina Diantha Huntington Young.
She's my children's Gr-gr-gr Grandmother
on their father's side.
I rocked my first baby, David Scott,
in her rocking chair
before it was donated to the Beehive House
years ago.
She was known for her great compassion
which was manifested by her studies in medicine,
home nursing and midwifery;
eventually helping to establish Deseret Hospital in Salt Lake City,
and serving on the hospital board there.
In the book it noted that 
"Zina's greatest accomplishment, however, 
was her service in the Relief Society general presidency."
Zina served as the President for thirteen years.
She was also called as the Temple matron at the same time!

I may not be directly related to Zina,
or any other "wom[an] of character" named in the book,
but I am inspired by their examples
and feel a greater hope that I too,
by my words and deeds can do my best
in my own little corner of the world,
with whatever talents and abilities the Lord has blessed me with,
can make a difference.

This book is a treasure,
and I'm very grateful to Nan,
who gave it to me.

****

If you'd been asked by the authors to name a "Woman of Character",
whom would you say?

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm giving this book to myself for Mother's Day! I was eyeing it up on DB.com just today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I tried to post a comment earlier but I don't think it worked, however if this is a repeat--just delete it.

    I think my weekend was a 7. I worked most of Friday and Saturday to get ready for a luau I was hosting only to have the wind blow away most of the decorations and turn the food cold immediately after serving it. But then a man pulled out a ukulele and played it and sang songs while everyone was hovering around the fire pit trying to stay warm and that turned into a very sweet time.

    On Sunday my SS lesson didn't go very well, but a friend came over for dinner so that was great and then I got to go to our stake mission prep with my husband and I LOVED that!! it is so fun to go and see all those boys and hear them teach.

    But my question to you is--how do you get in 120 hours of work just into one weekend? My goodness, girl!! You are a busy woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty and I both had the authors as teachers at BYU. They are both amazing women. I would probably list Julie Beck as one of my faves. Along with Majorie Hinckley

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!