Friday, July 22, 2011

Food. It's What's Fer Dinner!

In an effort to save money this summer,
I cut back on my food bill.
Made it a goal to save a few bucks
by skimming around the "extras" in my menu planning.
I'm here to say
it wasn't worth it.

I was cranky.
La familia was cranky.
We was one cranky bunch o' familia.

(I'm not really fluent in spanish, fyi,
but for some reason, my brain rolodex pops that word
"familia" out, everytime I think about "family",
so there ya have it.)

Anyway,
it boils down to this:
We like food.
We are, in fact, 
"Foodies"--
and trimming the "extras" off 
like salsa and chips, 
cutting back on side dishes,
or little treats every now n' again--
well, 
it was depressing.

So I stopped that.
And we're good.

You can cut back on many things,
to bring your budget under control--
combine trips to save gas,
for instance,
and surely, food bills should be managed carefully--
but when noone's looking forward to dinner,
somethin's gotta give.

A sweet gal in our ward asked me if
I wanted to participate in something called
A Meal Exchange--
that's where you only have to cook one meal a week,
but you make enough for 4 other similar-sized families.
Just the main dish.
I said something along the lines of
"Heck Yeah!"

I'm excited to try this out.
We moms will get together and plan a menu,
find out allergies n' stuff,
and go from there.

My kids aren't particularly picky eaters--
and have no allergies,
so hopefully this will be an easy deal.
I like easy.

So I'll let you know how this goes.
In my ideal world,
this sounds like a money-saving venture,
yet exciting---
to savor other cooks' menus
and not have to cook it!!
YES!!!

Sounds good to me.
Doesn't it sound good to you?
Have you ever done anything like this?
Results?
Yay or Nay?

Food. It's What's Fer Dinner.


6 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try that exchange for a while. I'll be interested to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect! I know someone who's been doing it for years. Works great for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds good.. and a lesson for learning 'new' things. (or am I just hungry? with nothing thawed out for dinner?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done the food exchange yet, sounds like fun though. I have gotten together with several other sisters and prepared freezer meals which worked out great. I can now make some freezer meals on my own, but it is a lot more fun with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great idea.
    I had two friends from my ward and we got together a couple of times to exchange 10 meals each. I cooked 30 meals and gave away 20 (10 to each) and received 20.
    It was fun for a few weeks, except one of the cooks....was not such a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love doing meal exchanges! I have a group (we call ourselves The Kitchen Girls) that I do this with. We each make a soup and a main dish on our own. When we meet, we each make another main dish. We all go home with 5 soups and 10 main dishes!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!