Friday, August 26, 2011

Crossing Finish Lines


The runners line up at the Start Line--
knees bent
toes tipped
shoulders hunched
eyes narrowed toward the future.

The gun pops
and OFF they run!

That was the scene Wedneday night
at the Air Academy High School track
where Joseph was participating in his
first-ever Cross Country Meet
with eight or more other middle schools.

From the stands,
we clapped and cheered--
not just for our own children,
but for all of them,
together.

The course was a mile and a half
twice around
to make three miles.

The 7th and 8th graders ran together--
first the girls race
then
the boys race.

There is such an excitement when we're told
the first runner
is approaching the Finish Line!
We jump to our feet
and clap loud and strong--
whoopin' it up, hollerin'
cheering
"YOU CAN DO IT!!"
The runner's face is lit up--
his arms flail behind him as he crosses
the yellow ribbon
and truly the crowd goes wild!
He's ahead of the next runner
by a football field's length,
but again,
when the next cluster of boys come around the
stands into the field
the crowd cheers them in too!
This, this is good stuff and we're just thrilled
to be a part of it
to see it all in front of our eyes.

What we didn't see,
what is hidden from view
is the actions of one of those
first finish-line crossers...

the hero.

Wave after of wave young men cross the yellow line,
until it's determined by the crowd
that everyone is accounted for--
all have arrived,
then we watch the clock
stop
reset.
And the 6th grade boys and girls are beckoned
to line up for their race.
It takes minutes for them to get on the field
to get in position.

We're waiting in the stands--
what's taking so long?

All of a sudden,
we see at the end of the field,
two runners
enter the stadium.

One is a slower young man,
his pace is slow but steady,
his face is red and sweaty,
determination is all over that
hardworking body...
and running next to him,
obviously coaching him along
"You're almost there!"
"You can do this!"
was a young man who was
one of the first finishers.

Upon finishing the race,
he went back for the last boy.
A boy on his team.

Seeing this true act of brotherhood
brought us to our feet,
tears welled in our eyes
and we couldn't have been more humbled.
The other teams gathered at the finish line,
cheering with their whole hearts
bringing both boys to the yellow line
and then, gathered around them
where hugs and high fives were all around.

That is beyond teamwork,
right there.

Will either boy ever forget the other?
Can you imagine if you were the parent of the last boy--
wondering if everyone had forgotten him
when you knew you hadn't seen him cross the finish line?
And can you imagine being the parent
of the young man who'd gone back
to coach the last one?

***

Shortly after that moment,
my phone rang in my pocket--
I didn't even hear it
for all the noise in the crowd,
but Daisie did,
and I quickly answered
because I was expecting a call
from Mr. Idaho as I knew Dani had been induced
and was just waiting to hear how it was going--
only it wasn't Mr. Idaho,
it was Kent, my Mr. Wonderful.

He called to tell me
Brad was trying to get ahold of me
and to call him immediately--
Dani had decided to accept an epidural
and both felt defeated.
He thought Dani would feel better,
if she got to talk to me.

I quickly got off the stadium seats
and ran to a corner far away from the crowd
so I could hear.
I dialed Brad's phone,
Dani answered--
"Hey, Mom."
"Hey, Sis--how are you? How're things going?" I answered, anxiously.
"I'm getting ready to push."
"Oh! Okay, Tell Brad to call me when the baby's here,
I LOVE YOU!"

I hung up and thought,
"Thank goodness she got an epidural."

When I had seen her last week,
she was easily the biggest pregnant momma
I've ever seen--
I knew that child was going to be bigger than her last
and even told Mr. W that when I got home,
and I also said I hoped she would take advantage of whatever meds
were available if she needed them.
I didn't tell Dani or Brad that tho',
for fear of planting a seed of doubt in their minds--
I didn't want them to have fear as they approached the birth
or make them doubt their strength.
But, considering the size of her tummy,
I wondered how she could do it otherwise.
Hearing that they both felt defeated
made my heart ache for them
and wonder if I'd made the right decision
to come home before the baby was born.
And the prayer in my heart grew more intense
as I hoped that Dani had the support she needed.

I went back to the stadium,
watched Joseph start and finish his first meet
and headed home through the long lines of cars
to get off the Air Force Academy base.

We came up to a STOP sign
and I looked at the clock
5:01pm.
"Dani could be delivering 
right now." I thought.

I was right.
She delivered at 6:01pm Texas time.

Is that not cool?

I spoke to her about an hour after the delivery,
she was happy
but tired
so we chatted only long enough
to hear that she and the baby were fine.

Yesterday,
she called and shared her birth story with me
(she's going to write it all down on her blog and I'll share that link when she does.)
The best part for me tho'
was hearing about the wonderful nursing staff
that she had at her side.
Experienced, compassionate women.
She said she'd gotten to 9cm and the ctx waves
came
one after another
after another
with little to no break in between
and she was breathing so hard
she couldn't think straight or hear anyone
and her hands and feet were freezing cold.
She stayed at 9cm for an hour
and just couldn't take it anymore.
She said her attending nurse, Kristin,
was extraordinary
as well as another nurse that was there--
and together, both women cared for my girl
assuring her she'd done a wonderful, brave job
in labor
and had made the best choice possible
for her baby,
whom she delivered just 45 minutes later
after the epidural took effect
relaxing her body.
Dani said she couldn't have done it
without them
and her sweet husband, Brad
at her side.
I believe her.

My sweet girl had her own heroes
at her side.
Being her mother,
I am so so grateful for those that stayed by her,
cheering her on,
holding her hand,
and celebrating with her
at the Finish Line.








6 comments:

  1. This post made me really, really happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this made me cry. Quite literally. I'm sitting here, nursing my baby with tears in my eyes. I'm so glad the baby is here safe, and that she had the support she needed. Your children are blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these kind of tears...the ones that come from hearing and seeing things of the spirit.

    Thanks for giving them to me today.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need heroes and cheerleaders in our life. What a beautiful analogy. My son is running cross country for the first time this year and he must read your story. I am so happy for your daughter and her new little one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy she delivered and is OK. I still can't believe she had such a big little bundle!

    Congrats again sweet grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful analogy. It brought tears to my eyes. I love how you write, it conjures up the images right before my eyes. Congrats on the the new baby.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!