Saturday, February 11, 2012

Staring Into the Future


Joseph: "Mom, can I ask you a question?"
 "Sure", I say. "What's up?"
Joseph, shyly: "Well, there's these girls on the bus and they're touching my hair n' stuff...and a girl in school is always staring at me. What's that about?"
Hmmm. I look at him and think for a moment. I knew this day was coming--he's twelve years old, stands 5 foot 8, and altho I see him as my sweet baby boy, in reality, he's in middle school.
"Their flirting with you.  That's what girls do when they think a boy is cute."
Joseph grins, "Oh. It's weird."

I look up from my chair
into his eyes and know this is an important teaching moment.

"Joseph, girls mature quicker than boys. That means that their bodies and minds are thinking about the future.  They notice boys in a different way. And honestly, it kinda makes 'em a little crazy. For the next few years, they're gonna be giggly, loud, travel in packs like wolves, and smile at you alot.
And you'll probably get attention from a few of them because you're a handsome young man, but there's also something else about you that will draw girls in--it's your goodness.  And that's the most attractive thing in a young man.  You shine from the inside-out because you're so kind and girls won't know what it is about you that they like, but really, it's because you hold the Priesthood too. That's a big deal, Joseph.  And you have to protect the Priesthood by keeping yourself clean and honoring it.  So (big breath), girls may ask you to do things with their bodies or ask if they can do things with yours and you're going to have to tell them 'No' to protect yourself so that the Holy Ghost is always with you and you'll always have that glow inside that, someday, will attract the right girl for you to take to the Temple. That's the goal--to go to the Temple with the most beautiful girl in the world."
I stand up and put my hands on either side of his soft cheeks, and look deeply into his beautiful brown eyes,
"I love you. If anyone, I don't care who they are, wants to touch your body in ways that makes you feel uncomfortable or in a way that you know isn't right, you have the right to say 'No', Okay?"  Then I kissed those baby cheeks and held him in my arms.
He looks side to side, smiles at the wonder of the changes a'comin his way in life and nods his head, "Yeah."

To All of the Twelve-Year Old Girls in the World, or at least in the State of Colorado:

If you have to privilege of meeting my brown-eyed boy,
please know that he has 5 older siblings and two parents that adore him.
You may admire him in all of his adorable manliness,
but you may NOT touch him or sully him in any way.
Or, as Diana says, "We will take you out--mafia-style."
We love this brother and son of ours and want to see him
kneeling across an altar of the temple someday
with the most beautiful girl in the world--
which may indeed, be one of YOU.
But that's not for a long time,
so be patient.
He's worth it.
Sincerely,
Joseph's Momza





1 comment:

  1. Joseph sounds like such a sweet boy and he has a good and wise mama.

    That is incredible that he is already 5'8"!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!