Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mercies for Me and Mercy River

I have learned something about myself.
Since my car accident last November,
my mind became very dull.
Along with my memory,
I also lost my ability to be spontaneously
creative.
It just wasn't in reach of where I was
to be pulled out and worked with--
it's hard to explain.

I've kept writing,
but in reading my past offerings,
my words have fallen mostly flat.

But, my creativity is slowly coming back,
and I'm looking at house projects
with a renewed energy
that has been missing since last Fall.

I think the Universe knew I've been outta commission too,
because I haven't done a single creative thing
for anyone else either.
No home staging.
No doula opportunities.
Nothing, really.
I have been in "repair" mode.

But, things are coming around again
and it feels so so good.
I've learned not to take my mind and creativity for granted.
The act of creating is invigorating and adds much
to my self-esteem.
Just yesterday,
my home staging partner and I got to begin a new project.

I so enjoy working with home owners,
re-creating their living spaces and sprucing things up
as they prepare to sell their home.
The house we went to yesterday is lovely.
A great "Colorado-style" home--
vaulted ceilings,
full size windows looking out at great views.
Fantastic finished basement with a full kitchen.
Four bedrooms, a study and formal dining.
Very well cared for too--
which makes our experience so much easier.

At first, the client said she didn't think she really needed a
"full-on staging"
she just wanted our opinion.
No problem--I am very comfortable doing that.

So Kelly and I started at the front door
and went through the whole house
making notes,
sharing our ideas,
listening to the homeowner.
Then,
we got busy.

First up,
Kelly decided to transform a row of bookcases,
into Showcases.
Once that was finished,
the homeowner was in awe (as much as you can be over a bookcase),
and let us proceed to the front entry and Living Room.

We started by rearranging the furniture.
Pulled out a chair,
moved the sofa and loveseat off the walls
to face the stone fireplace.
That alone changed the feel of the whole room
and the client was delighted!
We pulled accessories out of the room,
and added things back in from other rooms.
The client has travelled all over the world--
serving missions with her husband,
who is deceased now--
and she has little momentos all over the house
from those travels.
Often though, as was the case here,
none of those little things matched or had fluency.
Perhaps if they'd been in a curio cabinet,
then they would've been fine.
But as is, laying about the room on every shelf or countertop,
it just didn't work.
We had her pack those away for her new home.
Once the client saw the front room,
she had confidence that we knew what in the heck
we were doing,
and she was just plain giddy at the results!


When staging a home,
little "things" are distracting from what you're trying to sell--
the house.
Not your collections or hobbies.
What you will want to use as accessories
are hardcover books with the jackets off--
the canvas covers and usually gold lettering on the spines
are aesthetically pleasing.
but your eyes don't settle on them
which is good.
Kelly is great at rearranging bookcases,
and mantels--
really, she is so good at the accessories
that it's easy to just stand back and watch her
do her thing.
I think my talent is looking at a room overall
and seeing the possibilities,
using what the homeowner already has--
I try very hard to work with what is already at hand.
Kelly and I work well together because our strengths
compliment the process.
Every client we've ever worked with says that.

We're going back on Monday to tackle the Master Suite--
we left the client a "TO DO" list,
using the muscles of her grown son's family;
mostly moving furniture about the house
from one room to another--
she has a great basement study with double french doors
that is essentially empty,
but she has enough furniture in the rest of the house
to create a perfectly fine study.
Anyway, we've taken the BEFORE pics
and when we're done we'll get the AFTER pics
which I will share here.

Last night,
I was bone-tired
and it felt so stinkin' good.
Can't wait to go back on Monday!
For more home staging tips go here.

OH! SPEAKING OF MONDAY!
Make sure you tell your friends about my special Guest Post by

the musical group,
"MERCY RIVER".
They have a new CD coming out
and what's more--
they're offering a FREE copy to me 
which I will be passing along to one of 
YOU!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not selling my house, but I wish you two could come over and give me some counsel!

    =)

    PS. So glad your brain power is returning. I lost mine for a few months after a bad car accident/concussion once. Not fun, but eventually the brain rebooted. Well, most of it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of house staging before. What a great business idea!

    I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I hope your memory is serving you well enough too.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!