Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Day I Out-ran a Horse


When I was 12 years old, my folks bought some land in a tiny little town in Central Florida called "Croom-A-Coochee".
While we were clearing our own land, we lived in a home owned by one of my uncles'.
Okay, so the land next to our 7 acres, was owned by the Lamb family. 
I was friends with their daughters Kim and Charlene "Charlie" and they had a horse named "Patches". Patches was a beautiful chestnut and white "Painted" mare. But she was fiesty and sometimes cruel.
She had had a foal the previous year, unattended at birth, the foal died in the pasture. Patches, they said, went through a hard time because of it and the family worried if she would ever be ride-able again.
They were patient and tended to her as much as they could. The stallion involved was named Gator, and they eventually had to sell him b/c he was too much to handle--he was always jumping fences for other pastures and running away. It was actually very startling to see a huge horse jump over the barbwire fence that separated our property from the Lamb's--us kids were always on the look-out for Gator as we wanted to stay outta his way. He was a huge black horse, as I remember him and only Kim's father could actually saddle Gator up and ride "the mean-ness outta him."
Anyway, Kim was the Alpha rider for Patches. Kim was an itty -bitty girl but had a big attitude and was in no-way threatened by Patches' disposition. Once when we were saddling for a ride, Patches tried to squish Kim against the barn railings...Kim just balled up her fist and gave Patches a quick sock to the side. Patches moved over. Patches was not fun to ride next to either; we had to give her lotsa room when we rode other horses next to her, otherwise she'd kick them in the face or legs. Patches was a pretty, but tempermental (accent on the "mental") horse.

Okay so this was her deal: If she saw you in her pasture, she would bolt towards you and try to stomp you into the ground. No kidding.
One day I was headed to another kid's house that was about 5 acres over from our house, but a shortcut was through Kim's pasture. I looked over the barbed-wire fence, and could see that Patches was way way out there on the farthest side of the 10 acre pasture. I thought I could just quietly walk along the sides of the property fence, and then once I needed to part with that, I could hi-tail it to the other side, before Patches noticed me.
That was my idea. So it was okay until that part where I had to cut across a large corner, about two acre's worth, to make it a shortcut to my other friend's property. I was about 1/4 of the way across when I looked up and saw Patches barrelling towards me in a full-on gallop with her ears back and her nostrils flared! I started running like my butt was on fire! I could hear her huffing and her hooves hitting the dirt--she was pissed!
I ran as fast as I could, adrenaline flooding my body, fear giving me flight!
Just as I thought I was going to be trampled by this crazed horse, I reached the barbed-wire fence and DOVE through it! I crawled through the oak trees, shoulders hunched, and knees taking a beating through the briars while expecting any second for this horse to chomp chomp chomp my head off or a limb. I could feel her breath on my back, until I turned around and was flush against an oak tree trunk...trapped with Patches huffing and whinny-ing at me.
Oh yeah, and once I remembered how, I started YELLING at the top of my lungs for Help!--Kim came out and called Patches to her. Patches lifted her ears. turned towards Kim, then trotted off.
It's a wonder I didn't wet my pants.
But yeah, I out-ran a horse...pretty sure angels must've pushed me thru the fence.

What about you? Ever out-run somethin' that was breathin' down your neck? Do tell!

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing scarier than a crazed horse.
    I might have wet myself too.
    Just reading your story made me nervous about the state of my bladder.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!