Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Broken Heart Invitation




This Life’s Journey
is full of bumps in the road,
unexpected turns come at us without warning
and all of a sudden we’re faced with situations
that we’ve neither anticipated nor prepared for—
how could we, really?
I don’t know about you,
but I have little to nothing in common with someone
whose life has been uncommonly simple
so as to exclude any tragedy or dysfunction.
Don’t sit me next to a mere mortal at a dinner or luncheon.
I’ll be bored to tears, honestly.
Nothing to say, nothing to comment upon.
The depth of such a person leaves me wanting.
I cannot relate to them in any other way but
a shallow one.
Sit me next to a Hero.
Sit me next to Someone whose life has taken a Scenic Route,
And my soul stirs with a fiery interest.
I want to know how they got through,
whatever it is they got through.
My heart searches theirs for depth and breadth,
strength and inspiration.
I’m not talking about the whiny people I know.
The ones who pout and stamp about at the unfairness of life
and can’t get a grip on their own tragic choices.
While they might be interesting for a few moments
after awhile they resemble a burnt firework—
they had their moment to burn brilliantly,
to show their true colors of courage, strength, wisdom and action
yet instead sat back scratching their heads,
looking around for someone or something to
point a finger of blame on.
Those tragic figures leave me wanting
because I want them to finish telling me
the part that answers the questions:
“What happened next?”
“Then, what’d you do?”
And they mostly shrug their shoulders
indicating to me there’s no hero at the end of this story.

No,
sit me by someone whose journey has bounced them around
good and hard and unforgiving;
where they had to dig deep to find their strength,
cultivate their courage,
seek out wisdom on their knees and 
resources in their grasp,
test their faith in all that they know and believe.

I’m on a fact-finding mission.
Having traveled the Scenic Route,
being raised by wolves,
and other life experiences that came at me
like a meteorite’s sonic boom,
I need to know others who’ve survived to tell the tale.
The fact is,
I know more women who would qualify as a member of
The Broken Heart Club
than women who don’t.
My heroes include those who’ve survived many losses—
Husbands
Children
Miscarriages
Divorces
Dysfunctional Parents
Addictions in their families
Their own addictions
Eating Disorders
Depression
Unemployment
To name a few.
They are women of substance
whom I gravitate towards
because they exemplify grace under pressure.
They refuse to simply burn out.
They believe they have more to offer than that…
they have earned the privilege of having
Another Day to Try Again.

Why this blog today?
It’s because of a young mother named Natalie Jones
whose ten year old son, Mitchell, is living moment to moment
because he has a form of Muscular Dystrophy.
As I have read much about their family this week,
about a woman I have never met,
and yet feel a kinship to,
I realized she and I share something in common:
Broken hearts.
She will let go of her son sooner than I have been asked to let go of mine,
and for that grace, I cannot account for—
I am nevertheless
Grateful.
When my special needs son, Dean was very young
a woman approached me in a mall and after noticing his special shoes/braces
asked me what was wrong with him.
After I answered her,
she asked a second question:
“How long do you expect him to live?”

I was barely 24 years old,
it wasn’t a question I had allowed myself to ask yet
and here was a total stranger
putting me to the task.
I replied I didn’t know.

For days afterwards,
her words rang in my head—
“How long do you expect him to live?”
I had no idea.

There was only one place I could think of
to go to and ask my question:
the Temple.

I went inside and quietly prayed
to my Heavenly Father
asking the question:
“How long will I have Dean?”
I waited for the answer,
determined that I wouldn’t leave until I had one.
An answer from the heavens came:
“It doesn’t matter.”
I argued back,
“Yes, oh yes, it does matter. Please tell me how long I will have Dean.”
The quiet spirit whispered again,
“It doesn’t matter.”
I then pleaded in my heart to heaven,
“It DOES. Oh it DOES. Please tell me how long I will have him.”
A warm peaceful feeling entered my heart and a loving voice touched my mind,
“It doesn’t matter how long you have him,
but how much you Love him.
I knew that was right.
It was the only thing that mattered.

I felt impressed today
to write to this young mother in Utah
and share my heavenly message with her
in these last days of her son’s journey.
I don’t know her.
I’m one of thousands of people who’ve been led to
Her family’s story, really.
But, if my sharing gives her even a moment of peace,
That’s enough.

We travel this earth over and over,
We broken-hearted.
The best servants are the ones
Who know what suffering feels like.
It is our pain that both binds and lifts us.
Have a broken heart?
Come. Sit by me.
 Here's what I know:
God loves broken things.








5 comments:

  1. Momza you have no idea how I needed this. You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, loved the perspective of wanting to associate with those who have been strengthened by their trials. Loved the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing for us (my oldest daughter and I) to watch this.

    All I can say to you is "thank you for being a blogger"
    We needed your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful, Dawn. And exquisitely written. I hope the young woman was able to read your blog as well as your email or letter that you sent.

    Just inspirational!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the kind comments.
    I'm trying to share what I'm learning as I go...

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!