Thursday, April 18, 2013

My People Are Your People, Too


This has been a rough week 
for my people,
Americans.

Our hearts jumped to our throats
when we saw the Boston Marathon bombings...
how could this happen again?
we ask our selves.

How has this affected my family?
Well, we never turned on the main floor TV this week
with the news channels that are covering the events
in Boston.
I don't want my kids to deal with this terror...
it's just too much.
Kent and I watched a bit here and there this week,
but even then,
didn't want to know every minute detail of the investigation.
The images alone are too powerful to dwell on...
my people in Boston are your people too,
and when our people hurt,
we hurt.

This morning I woke to the fertilizer explosion in West, Texas.
Not only is the plant obliterated,
but the neighborhood that surrounded it.
Our people in West, Texas are hurting this morning.
So much pain.

Every morning I wake up wondering if Korea has fired a nuclear missile off yet...
I have people in Japan.
You have people there too.
We heard that Norad was a long-range goal of Korea's targets...
I can see it from where I'm sitting.


What makes our country a great one,
isn't our politicians--
it is the resolute, strong citizens--
Our People--
the ones who carry the burden of care
on their shoulders--
the medically-trained, 
the firefighters,
the ones who rush into the bomb-scene
instead of away from it,
the men and women who run into burning buildings
and believe they can make a difference.
It's our teachers who don't "clock out" 
when the school bell rings.


So many good, loving people in our country
that inspire me to be better.

Our people are hurting.
Prayers and Love for my people in Boston,
for my people in Texas...
my heart is yours today.

"There is nothing wrong with America 
that cannot be cured by 
what is right with America."











6 comments:

  1. My heart aches for America this week. What you wrote about the people who make your country great - I could write the same thing about my own country. I could also say that there are really good people in North Korea too. We are all just people living in different locations. Only oceans and mountain ranges keep me from being a Bostonian ... or a Korean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you are so right. I believe we are all sons and daughters of God; no one is better than the rest.
    My heart aches for any injustice(s) inflicted upon all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this! I actually developed a migraine on Monday, partly from the stress of the attack. I do know people in Boston, thank goodness they weren't harmed. I love your simple heartfelt way of expressing things. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written, thank you. My heart has ached, tears have dropped and prayers spoken for so many that have been hurt and scared. How blessed we are to be a people that love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. And I love the quote you chose for the ending.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!