Thursday, April 11, 2013

What My Children Know About Faith

"Hey, Momza..." I hear on the other end of the phone.
It's my oldest son calling long distance from Boise.
"Hey Buddy! How are you?" I reply.
"You sure? You sound sick.", concern in his voice.
"Yeah; just a cold. I sound worse than I feel, really." I say through a stuffed-up nose and rattling voice.
"Oh okay, well you sound terrible." he laughs then continues...
"So, I'm calling you to tell you about something going on with Tish and me--got a minute?"

So he fills me in on an opportunity he and his wife were presented with--
it sounds like a blessing if they get it, he tells me.
I agree with him. It really does.
"So, Tish and I are really praying for this, Mom. We're fasting too. We're wondering
if you'd pray for us too?"

****

Easter Evening, sitting at the dinner table
we go around sharing our nightly answers
to the same questions:
*Best part of your day?
*Something you learned?
*Something you did for someone else?
After that, I told the children I had one more question for them:

"What have I taught you about Jesus Christ?"

Ari piped up, arm raised: "That He listens to your prayers."
"Anything else?" I asked.
Joseph added, "Jesus always answers your prayers. Like, ALWAYS." he smiles.
"That it?" I prodded.
"Hmmm, yeah that should do it for today." he said.
Ari nodding, "That's the most important thing to know, right?"
****


Hi Mom,
I figured I'd best write you a note & let you know how very grateful I am for the decisions you've made throughout your life & mine. Because of your morals, ethics & ability to love and look for truth, I get to be here. I get to walk the grounds that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, Moroni, and Joseph Smith have been in. Every day I get to testify of small moments in time that changed the history of the world, that made it possible for us to live in blissful happiness with our families and Heavenly Father for eternity.  Thank you. Thank you for your testimony, thank you for holding onto me while I was pulling away.  As Joseph Smith said to his mother in returning from the grove; I too can say, "All is well, I have learned for myself."  I love you ~Nana
*****

"Mom!" Dara shouts as she runs upstairs to find me.
"Up here!" I shout from the loft office.
"Mom! I got IN! I got IN!---" she says breathless.
Waving her acceptance letter from the college she applied to--
tears just start dropping like confetti from heaven.
"I prayed SO hard. I can't believe it!!"
"Me too. Me too. Oh I am so happy for you, Day!"
*****

HI Mom, 
I finally got your cards this week. I absolutely loved the leaves from the front yard! Also the blueberry skies card, literally made me laugh out loud. Thank you for making this week less sucky. Today is the 12th and I'm still currently sick. No voice, been running a fever & finally puked my guts out last night.  I can't say I saw this trial coming.  But I've had alot of time to study and think. lately I just list things I'm grateful for. Today I am grateful for you again. I woke up missing you so I sprayed some of the Sunflower perfume on & have been thinking of you alot.  I'm not quite sure how you've made it this far in life & are as happy, loving, serving & sane as you are.  Life is hard.  I've been reading the Book of Mormon for hours upon end lately, when I got to King Benjamin this time I couldn't help but love & adore his goodness because you love & adore his goodness. Every word he speaks is filled with an immense love for his people. He just loves.  I can't wait to meet him, for now I hope to be able to emulate the love he has for his people & serve the people here as well as he served his people back then. 
I'm grateful for a mom that sees needs in others & steps up to serve them....you've raised service-oriented children & I'm grateful.  Apparently not all mom are like you, it's odd to see how many opportunities are missed by other sisters to serve merely because they don't know how. Your example has made an impression and a difference.  On another note, the leaves are changing here. There are trees that are the brightest natural red I've ever seen. Some have this firey orange with pink tints. I swear some of the trees don't even look real.  It's beautiful Mom, just beautiful. I cannot wait for you to see it. I really have no room to complain.  I'm so very blessed to have an opportunity to serve the Lord and His people, to love & be loved by those I serve with & around, and to have a mother as wonderful as you.  You are amazing.  I love you.  ~Nana

****






4 comments:

  1. What a blessing you've given your kids. I don't know if mine would say the same thing about me.

    This gives me something to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post. You once again, blow my mind with your insightful way of making words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately I get teary every time I visit here! No wonder I love it so much...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you site, just hopped over from MMB. What an amazing family. SO cute... and busy you must be.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!