Thursday, May 9, 2013

Discovering the Beehive House & Little Roots

 On our mother-daughter trip to Utah last week,
Dara and I made it a point to visit
I'd been here just once before,
a long, long time ago.

A former residence of Brigham Young,
we had heard years ago
that a certain rocking chair
which my ex's family had inherited
through family lines,
and 
which I myself, had rocked
my firstborn son in,
had been donated to 
this home-
now-museum.
So we were on the look-out for it:



 This is a main floor receiving room.
One of many paintings of Brigham Young:
note the beehive carved into the frame--
that little hive is in many details of the house.
He chose the beehive as a symbol
of industriousness and common consecration of 
the early pioneers' faith and work.

 In our house, this would be called "The Home Teachers' Room".

A painting of a harvest:


That is some chandelier...
 The tour guide/ sister missionary shared that the room below was actually designed by one of Brigham's sons...added onto the house years later:

 Kinda fancy, hunh?


This is actually the bedroom of one of Brigham's daughters...Clarissa, I think.
That was an actual dress of hers.
One thing I noticed is that all of those people
were really small in stature...
dare I say, "hobitt-ish"?
 her bed:


 Things on her dressing table:

 A son's room,minus the featherbed:


 Ok, I don't know whose room this is, because I was lagging behind the tour:


 This was a child's learning/play room:


 Look at those little tea sets...how cute, hunh?


 A small dining room:

 A storage of sorts...fabric, grains, shoes, just lots of things for a home.


A picture in the hallway:

China dishes:


Another painting of the man of the house:

 The formal dining hall--
with it's original hand-stenciled walls. 
I imagine a great many dignitaries spent time here:
We were thinking that we'd reached the end of the tour,
with no rocking chair in sight...
at last we came to this room
right by the exit door:


And there it was.
The little rocking chair.
I believe it had belonged to 
Zina D. Huntington Young...
a great great great Aunt to my children:


Physical proof that somehow,
we are all connected.

2 comments:

  1. I think the beehive house is fascinating. You have such a lovely blog. Your words and pictures are beautiful. Thanks for honoring me by visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of cool history there. Thanks for sharing it!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!