Sunday, September 22, 2013

Towards Peace

Summer 2013 is over.
I worked more than I wanted to,
but financially, it was necessary.
It seemed the more that I prayed for help,
more work came my way.
Funny, hunh?
Near the summer's end, 
I found myself near depleted of courage
and with little planning,
and an invitation from good friends on the "other side" of the Rockies.
I only wanted one thing:

 To feel Peace in my soul.
I knew where to go,
where I always feel peace.
Do you ever feel that you have to get away?
--from the same view, the same people, the same ol', same ol'?

Joseph and Ari and I decided we'd go over to Utah
and spend some time at the temples there.

This is right after we'd gone in the Mt. Timpanogos temple
and done baptisms for the dead--thus the wet hair.
But, seriously, it was packed full,
and we were there for over two hours.
Is there a better place to spend time with my children?
I can't think of it.

The same day,
we went up to Salt Lake City and spent the day on 
Temple Square.

We also took a tour of the Conference Center....
that waterfall is on the roof!


The picture above is carved into stone...
isn't it beautiful?

I gave each of the kids a camera and told them to record our trip
by taking all the pictures,
and they did a great job.

 We had planned on going to the Salt lake Temple,
but didn't make the appointment ahead of time.
So we just enjoyed the gorgeous beauty of the gardens.
 *marigolds
 *coleus and zinnias
 *lisianthus and allysum
 *hollyhocks




 *impatiens, dusty miller, petunias
 *a little bit of everything.

Even a 13 year old can see the beauty all around.
That's important, I believe,
to spend time around truly heavenly things,
as this world presents things counterfeited as
"beautiful"--
to teach him the difference.
To let him feel the difference, that's invaluable. 

Joseph found a Book of Mormon
printed in Norwegian-
the language of his great-grandparents.




Then we headed up to the Christus Statue:




..Where we sat for a long time and reflected and pondered...

(John 20:19-23; 1 John 1:1-4)

36And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 37But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. 38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? 39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. 40And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. 41And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43And he took it, and did eat before them.

What feelings surface when you look at this beautiful statue?
The word that comes to my mind is
"Home".
I am reminded that He is my Home.
He is my brother. My Savior. My truest, dearest Friend.
The statue calls to my rememberance 
the words from the hymn, 
"O My Father":
 For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, "You're a stranger here,"
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

What does it remind you of?
****


We spent time with great friends who are beckoning us to leave our side of the mountains,
to come to theirs.  Joseph got to hike the mountains the run along Highland and Alpine, Utah.
We went to church there, met some kind people. My friend Sarah gave me the fifty cent tour of Alpine, where we even looked at homes in the area. 
So who knows?
I didn't go to Utah in search of a "move",
but found myself open to the idea.
I also found the peace I was searching for...
it is 
always
always
always
the same--
in The Living Water,
Jesus Christ.

For more information on Holy Temples, I invite you to check out


John 4:14 - But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos. Such a good idea to give the kids a camera and tell them to go for it.
    I love that you went to the temple with them. Such a blessing you are.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!