Wednesday, November 15, 2017

How Long Can I Say I'm New Here?


This is my world right now.
When the clouds lift a little between periods of rain.
It looks magical, really.
I don't mind the rain.
I'm getting used to not carrying the new umbrella I bought--
to be more like the local "Eugenians"--
think boho-meets-homeless
and that is a fair description of most of the people I see--
wet, damp, crumbly--
on a daily basis.
I did see a most unusual sight the other morning
after dropping the kids off at school--
Jack Sparrow on a bicycle!
I mean CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. On a bike.
In the middle of traffic.
Tall, lanky guy with long dark hair tucked into pirate scarf tied to the side, long twisty beard,
huge black coat, puffy pants tucked into boots, a tattoo over a cheek, dark circles under his eyes--
it was AMAZING!
I wish I'd taken a photo.
I was describing this to someone else the other day--
"I've seen that guy!" they replied.
Totally validating my description.
Captain Jack Sparrow lives in Eugene, Oregon
an hour from the coast
where I logically presume,
the Black Pearl is awaiting his return in the shadows of the sea.

I love that the autumn season is long and stretched out over months
like it should be.
Seriously, it's a full-on season here
compared to the two weeks of fall we get in Colorado.
Excuse me, we got in Colorado.
I love that there are still trees yet to lose their leaves in gold and red.
That is the second thing that the Pacific Northwest has completely wowed me with so far--
the beautiful autumn.

Just today I realized I lost track of how many weeks we've been here.
I want to say 7, but it could be more.
And that realization makes me wonder how much longer I can say,
"I'm new here." when meeting someone new.
I'm learning how to get around, less dependent upon my GPS.
Meaning, I still get lost, take a wrong turn, writhe in agony when I miss my exit--
but eventually,
I see something familiar and find my way home.
I have a 100% Success Rate of sleeping in my own bed every night
so that's kind of a big deal, right?

So I'm not [new] here.
I know where the Post Office is.
More importantly,
I know where Home Goods, Pier One Imports, Ross, Marshalls are at--
and can stop by Trader Joe's on the way home if I want.
Yeah.
What isn't here is my whole heart.
I left that sucker in Colorado.
Pikes Peak is holding onto it until I return.
If I could, would be tomorrow,
I'd be packed up by midnight, no kidding.

Of course, I'd be homeless once there because our house sold
and the closing is on Friday.
Friday is gonna be hard, not gonna lie.

SO autumn leaves, misty magical foothills and Captain Jack Sparrow
are three things to keep me steady.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.


2 comments:

  1. I know that change is hard. I still feel weird sometimes and we have been here for 8 months. And we certainly didn't change our geography much. 20 miles is a sneeze.
    I still feel new here.
    I'm still trying to find my place.

    We didn't do it for a new job, we did it to live in the country, not so close to campus.

    So today is Friday.
    And thinking about you.
    I know it will be a hard day....we had a hard day on 'that' day too.
    Hugs and hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while, Momza. throughout the years it's always been wonderful to revisit, if only sporadically. you write beautifully, and soulfully. thank you. :-)

    i wish that your relocation becomes easier, though i sense that you are adapting well. when you mentioned Trader Joe's i saw a connection, i live not far from a Trader Joe's.

    silly i know, but honest. i don't know that it means the same in NYC as it does in Eugene but we don't have Fall Foliage per se, maybe Central Park. i've been to Portland, Oregon and your post made me nostalgic.

    keep on truckin', Momza, and be well.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!