Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Broken Things



From Jeffery R. Holland's Talk "Broken Things to Mend":

"The first words Jesus spoke in His majestic Sermon on the Mount were to the troubled, the discouraged and downhearted. “Blessed are the poor in spirit,” He said, “for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Whether you are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or among the tens of thousands listening this morning who are not of our faith, I speak to those who are facing personal trials and family struggles, those who endure conflicts fought in the lonely foxholes of the heart, those trying to hold back floodwaters of despair that sometimes wash over us like a tsunami of the soul. I wish to speak particularly to you who feel your lives are broken, seemingly beyond repair.

To all such I offer the surest and sweetest remedy that I know. It is found in the clarion call the Savior of the world Himself gave. He said it in the beginning of His ministry, and He said it in the end. He said it to believers, and He said it to those who were not so sure. He said to everyone, whatever their personal problems might be:

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”

~~~~~~~~~
At my age, one cannot get to be nearly 50 years old and not had occasion to bring a broken-something to the Lord. I have had many a "broken heart and a contrite spirit" to bring to Him:

~When I was just 23 years old, and He sent me a son with brain damage. I turned to Him like I had never done before. I became acquainted with Him, learning to trust in His love for me and my son, even in our broken-ness.

~When I was 36 and found myself a single mother of 5 children... I turned again to Him, as Abraham Lincoln said, "I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go." Altho I could not see the road ahead, He did. Even when I lost my way for a time, He did not let go of my broken heart. He restored it 100-fold.

~When I was 45 and my husband was unemployed for an entire year...I could hear my truest Friend's soothing voice, "Just Wait." "Be Patient." And I had peace in the midst of the storm.

It's true. Our Savior Jesus Christ, is the Redeemer, just as He said. And He can fix broken things when we cannot.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that! I think I needed that more then I thought I did. I see the Bishop tonight and whenever I do I seem to feel even more broken then before. But I'll keep this talk in mind and hopefully not have those feelings! You are pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! Thank you for feeling inspired to post it because I SOOOO needed to read it. Sometimes when we are in the middle of being 'broken' we forget that there is someone there holding the glue bottle.
    Thanks Momza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is beautifully written. thank you for the reminder. and thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, and well-said.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Momza I too have been broken and been lifted and made whole through the atonement and love of my Savior. Though very uncomfortable and decidedly unpleasant, I have come to view such times with tenderness and gratitude. It is only when my knees buckle that I feel his hands gently lifting and supporting me. I am a proud soul, too proud and I am in need of humbling opportunities to bring me back to him. I am so grateful that he has never left me, My goal in this life is to follow him and his example but my reality is his loving and tender direction when I have lost my way. Thank you for this beautiful post it has given me time to reflect and feel grateful.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post--so much so that I have posted a link from my blog to it. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww.

    I miss you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Have a Thought? Share It!